Kumioko, the Saga Begins Backwards

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Kumioko, the Saga Begins Backwards

Post by Mutineer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:48 am

If you look up the account of Kumioko at Wikipedia right now, you are redirected to the "Reguyla" account, which began editing on 2 Jan. 2014. Is the Reguyla account then a sockpuppet of a perma-blocked Kumioko? It appears from its edits that yes it may have been at first, but a month or few later on, the connection seems to be something of an open secret. People know Reguyla is Kumioko. The Reguyla account edits for like 20 months and there's blocking action and back and forth with the usual sorry suspects that essentially live at WP:AN/ANI.

An interesting unblock occurs on Oct. 5 2015 courtesy of Worm_That_Turned who sets conditions, foremost among them that "You may not comment on administrators as a group, nor on any sysop or desysop procedures." This is the dream world that Wikipedia admins seek to enforce, that their actions may never be criticized by a common editor. Then we quickly see the appearance of NeilN, who wants to reblock Reguyla for his statement, excerpted:

As I stated via email I regret many of my actions and I should have handled it better and much of my actions were born out of my disappointment and frustration with how it was handled. I am further disappointed by the failure of the admins on this site to follow the community decision and allowing a couple people who voted against my return to change the outcome they didn't agree with. But its time to set that all aside and move on.

...Well, did he comment on administrators as a group? I guess so, but the statement overall is conciliatory. Anyhow the account is then, on 5 Oct. 2015, reblocked, where it remains today.

Where was I, oh yes, Kumioko. Let me try to extend this archaeology further into the past. The account "Kumioko" first edited on 19 April 2012. It's obviously not a new account, you can tell by the first edit in which it's clear he's being assisted by MBisanz, who's attempting to sort through some renaming and password and email stuff. The account is doing some quasi-administrative stuff like category maintenance. Kumioko is known for heavily developing "List of Jewish Medal of Honor Recipients." So what is that, content or administrative work? At any rate he does stuff like that, but then begins to clash with administrative participants, and it seems to me to take over his edits, involuntarily. The account persists until 3 March, 2013. It's not clear why exactly from the "Kumioko" talkpage history, no-one types an explanation, but it seems to be (of course) connected to the fun boys at WP:AN/ANI.

Okay enough for now. I'll be back later to share more in another edition of The Kumioko Khronicles.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

The End
Sucks Fan

Re: Kumioko, the Saga Begins Backwards

Post by The End » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 am

Reguyla is Kumioko. I think he was given another chance under the Reguyla account and things didn't turn out so well. I tried long ago to get a short to-the-point account of Kumioko's rise and fall on Wikipedia, but I never could understand it all.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 am

Looking at the logs for User:Kumioko, his original account was renamed to User:Kumioko (renamed) whose first contributions were in 2007. He had some trouble with his sig later in the year, so it's plausible those could be his first contributions as a newb.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:37 am

badmachine wrote:Looking at the logs for User:Kumioko, his original account was renamed to User:Kumioko (renamed) whose first contributions were in 2007. He had some trouble with his sig later in the year, so it's plausible those could be his first contributions as a newb.

After his first fallout, he had so many accounts (mainly as IPs), I could never figure out what was going on. WP had a very hard time keeping him banned.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:19 pm

badmachine wrote:Looking at the logs for User:Kumioko, his original account was renamed to User:Kumioko (renamed) whose first contributions were in 2007. He had some trouble with his sig later in the year, so it's plausible those could be his first contributions as a newb.

They look like they could be the edits of a new editor to me as well. I look at these and think "what's he doing?" Then, "oh, he's organizing, putting stuff in categories and lists." And sure, there're different ways to do that. Alphabetical or chronological, for example. Makes about 40 edits, then he's "suspended" (perma-block?) three days later by the insufferably named "Can't sleep, clown will eat me." I'm not able to find an explanation from that admin at Kumioko's talkpage. There seems to have been a rev-deletion (why?). Kumioko suggests it was an allegation of vandalism, about a month and a week later I spy CSCWEM making a fake apology in non-native English that seems to say there were others in Kumioko's IP range doing problematic stuff and Kumioko was entangled by that.

If anyone wants to look at this stuff, I don't really recommend it, you could go here: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions/Kumioko_(renamed)&dir=prev&limit=500&target=Kumioko+%28renamed%29.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:55 pm

It's a long, confusing and complex story but I'll try to draft something up later. I can only access the forum from my phone at the moment and It's too much to type.

On second thought, there's really no point in drafting everything out. The admins and their supporters on Wikipedia have turned it into an unnavigable nightmare to try to sort out with countless bullshit blocks, threats, extortion, blackmail, more threats, letters to my employer trying to get me fired, joe jobbing, astroturfing, etc.

All they have done, is turn a positive editor with a long history of dedication to Wikipedia into an enemy so they can justify their own abuse. That's all that really matters. My story is just one of hundreds or even thousands of abused editors mistreated by a handful of admins that the WMF allows to do whatever they want. They created an enemy and a monster, so that is what they will get!
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am

Kumioko wrote:It's a long, confusing and complex story but I'll try to draft something up later.

Yes, sir, please. I'd like to see a full accounting. They NEED hardcore content writers like you, yet they treated you like shit because your were "too honest". Or something...

The admins and their supporters on Wikipedia have turned it into an unnavigable nightmare to try to sort out with countless bullshit blocks, threats, extortion, blackmail, more threats, letters to my employer trying to get me fired, joe jobbing, astroturfing, etc.

Which is all I need to call them a "cult". A very mean, abusive cult.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Kumioko wrote:It's a long, confusing and complex story but I'll try to draft something up later.

Yes, sir, please. I'd like to see a full accounting. They NEED hardcore content writers like you, yet they treated you like shit because your were "too honest". Or something...

They treated me like shit BECAUSE I was an editor and I had an interest in improving Wikipedia, not in maintaining the status quo of social bullshit. That's why I wasn't trusted. NO ONE actually thought I would do anything to hurt the project or it's contents, but they knew I wouldn't follow the thin blue line and allow fellow admins to violate policy. They knew that if I got access to the backchannels and saw the illegal, policy violating, underhanded crap, that I would expose them and try to change it...they were right!

Just look at how they redirect all my accounts to "Reguyla", a relatively new account rather than follow the standard practice of directing them to the original account of "Kumioko". An account with a long history of positive work on the project before I was targeted. They used the newer account because it had limited activity, it had hardly been able to edit without constant harassment and they could more easily justify it rather than blocking an account with hundreds of thousands of positive edits.
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:38 am

Kumioko wrote:They treated me like shit BECAUSE I was an editor and I had an interest in improving Wikipedia, not in maintaining the status quo of social bullshit. That's why I wasn't trusted. NO ONE actually thought I would do anything to hurt the project or it's contents, but they knew I wouldn't follow the thin blue line and allow fellow admins to violate policy. They knew that if I got access to the backchannels and saw the illegal, policy violating, underhanded crap, that I would expose them and try to change it...they were right!

As I told you before, they are repeating the same underhanded childish crap some of them pulled on Usenet and DMOZ and Slashdot over the years. And probably on Reddit and Facebook and Twitter today. The venues change, the petty games are the same.

Everything in their little sick minds eventually devolves into manchild hacker clubs fighting over "turf" like a bad street-gang exploitation movie. This is how men fight wars: it's FUN for them, not an ugly slaughterhouse. 20 million civilians died in agony? Oops, sorry, at least we had FUN.

If heeling Wikipedia and abusing editors wasn't FUN there would be no administrators. And probably very few content writers--lots of them were attracted by the opportunity to bias content in the first place.....and once you join the gang and get your stupid little bowling trophy, you can shit on the people who make Wikipedia work in the first place. This will eventually kill it.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:09 am

ericbarbour wrote:
....Everything in their little sick minds eventually devolves into manchild hacker clubs fighting over "turf" like a bad street-gang exploitation movie. This is how men fight wars: it's FUN for them, not an ugly slaughterhouse. 20 million civilians died in agony? Oops, sorry, at least we had FUN.

If heeling Wikipedia and abusing editors wasn't FUN there would be no administrators. And probably very few content writers--lots of them were attracted by the opportunity to bias content in the first place.....and once you join the gang and get your stupid little bowling trophy, you can shit on the people who make Wikipedia work in the first place. This will eventually kill it.

There are some men who were "thoughtful" in the FUN they had fighting wars, people like Edward Lansdale, who was instrumental in pushing the CIA/US Army Special Forces towards the "rough beast" of the Phoenix Program, that CIA/USAID/South Vietnamese National Police/ARVN Intelligence "project" which created a secret Gestapo hunting the NLF ("Viet Cong") cadre leaders, a "secret team" which tortured or killed anybody that got in the way. Lansdale had nothing to to with guys like John Muldoon, the Province Interrogation Center builder who put each of these well-armed* torture buildings in every province of South Vietnam, or the ICEX (first name for Phoenix) founder Nguyễn Ngọc Loan, the head of the RVN National Police who is best known for shooting an NLF member in the head with a revolver in the streets of Hue during the Tet Offensive in 1968; he did that while the film cameras and the high-speed SLR cameras of the American press and TV networks were on him - to send a message. Lansdale had slight dealings with "Blowtorch Bob" Komer, the head of CORDS (Civil Operations and Revolutionary Development Support), the oversight organization for Phoenix; the "Revolutionary Development" was really a counter-revolutionary brainfuck to get the South Vietnamese to work with the US Army and the corrupt RVN government happily like antebellum Black slaves in a pre-1970s Disney cartoon - of course it never worked. Lansdale was the grandfather of the echo-y "ghost tapes" that would play over US Army helicopter speakers, with voices pleading for NLF or North Vietnamese soldiers to give up and surrender, or the Armed Propaganda Teams who did skits in villages asking for support and threatening villagers with bloody violence if they didn't. Lansdale had used the rural Filipino fear of vampires against the Hukbalahap Communist revolutionaries in the early 1950s; he would snatch the last man of a Huk patrol at night, have his Filipino Army goons kill the guy without bullets, then drain all of the blood out of holes in the corpse's neck (hanging him upside-down), and then leave the body on the trail right-side-up for his comrades to find. Before that he was using clandestine ("state pirate") radio in Italy to swing a crucial postwar election in the late 1940s because the Italian Communist Party had a shot at control.

Not everybody is Colonel Killgore, Animal Mother, that insane Marine heli doorgunner, Rafterman, all the Boys in Company C, or even The Warriors (Coney Island) - some people are Captain Willard, Private Joker, or "Masai", the ice-cold mirrored-sunglasses-wearing leader of that all-Black karate gang that puts out a bounty on The Warriors; the quiet, silently tough people who turn out to be the most dangerous.
____

*The NLF lowest-end cadres would attack the PICs randomly at night; in Douglas Valentine's book The Phoenix Project there is never a mention of one being taken down, or prisoners sprung. There was a national torture center (NIC) down at the docks in Saigon, and people they wanted truly kept were sent to tiny cages in a prison fortress on Con Son Island ("Pulo Condore" to the Imperial British of the 18th century) off the SV coast. It was a total hellhole, and the day after the war ended, the NVAF flew soldiers and medics to the place to release the prisoners, many of whom could no longer walk normally. Richard Holbrooke of Kosovo (and the near-destruction of Serbia as a political unit) and John Negroponte (Honduras under Reagan, where he played dumb about death squads; the "Global War on Terror" under Bush der Zweiter in the 2000s) both started out in government as Phoenix Program advisors.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.