Rhododendrites: Looking for examples of accounts blocked for opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace?

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks

Rhododendrites: Looking for examples of accounts blocked for opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace?

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:58 pm

Looking for examples of when accounts were blocked for opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace?

I've been thinking about this essay and the sentiment behind it/preceding it. Just curious how many examples there are of bans/blocks due to opinions expressed outside of mainspace (not run of the mill incivility or vandalism). I'm familiar with some of the cases that led to Wikipedia:Child protection, which is only sort of related to this essay, and I remember the case of someone who was sitebanned a few years ago in part for posts on Jimbotalk, but are there others? I don't think there are many, but it's a hard thing to search for. Shoot me an email or send a message on Discord if you're so inclined -- again, getting into specifics here doesn't feel like a good thing to do. — Rhododendrites talk \\ 03:37, 6 May 2022 (UTC)
Posted on the WP:NONAZIS essay Talk Page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:No_Nazis

“I remember the case of someone who was sitebanned a few years ago in part for posts on Jimbotalk…” That would be Raquel Barnow.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Rhododendrites: Looking for examples of accounts blocked for opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace?

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:12 pm

"opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace", meaning what exactly? Someone pushing a political POV that is "unpopular"? If that's what you want, give up, because literally hundreds of thousands of accounts were banned for that. Or less.

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks

Re: Rhododendrites: Looking for examples of accounts blocked for opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace?

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:12 pm
"opinions/ideologies expressed outside of mainspace", meaning what exactly? Someone pushing a political POV that is "unpopular"? If that's what you want, give up, because literally hundreds of thousands of accounts were banned for that. Or less.
Most people use fake names on WP, so how would anyone know if the editor is a Trump voter/ hater, Nazi, warmonger or CIA-Mossad disinformant with unkosher off-wiki opinions/ideologies? That’s probably why they use fake names, they’re propagandists with an agenda.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 am

SkepticalHistorian wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 am
Most people use fake names on WP, so how would anyone know if the editor is a Trump voter/ hater, Nazi, warmonger or CIA-Mossad disinformant with unkosher off-wiki opinions/ideologies? That’s probably why they use fake names, they’re propagandists with an agenda.
You got it. Or, sometimes they're being PAID to bias content.

I could tell you about Ed "Beyond My Ken" Fitzgerald, for example. You can start by reading old Wikipediocracy threads.
https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=1912
https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... =16&t=3339

Eventually we discovered that Ed was an employee of the late choreographer David Gordon. And was OWNing the very long article about Gordon, which was entirely Ed's work. Gordon now, and STILL, has the longest article on Wikipedia about a dance choreographer. TWICE as long as the article about the far more famous Bob Fosse.

(These facts were posted on Wikipediocracy, and Billy Burns the sysop removed them later. Because it was "embarrassing to a valued Wikipedian".)

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:44 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:21 am
SkepticalHistorian wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:48 am
You got it. Or, sometimes they're being PAID to bias content.

I could tell you about Ed "Beyond My Ken" Fitzgerald, for example. You can start by reading old Wikipediocracy threads.
https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... f=8&t=1912
https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... =16&t=3339

Eventually we discovered that Ed was an employee of the late choreographer David Gordon. And was OWNing the very long article about Gordon, which was entirely Ed's work. Gordon now, and STILL, has the longest article on Wikipedia about a dance choreographer. TWICE as long as the article about the far more famous Bob Fosse.

(These facts were posted on Wikipediocracy, and Billy Burns the sysop removed them later. Because it was "embarrassing to a valued Wikipedian".)
Stunning. Too many rude self-important ppl in Wikipedia. In the early days is was fun and people really tried to help if you didn’t understand policy, rules, if you made a few good faith mistakes. You can literally re-write history there.

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:01 am

Of all people, Tamzin (she/they would like to block Trump supporters)) replied:
@Rhododendrites: Amalekite (talk · contribs) was blocked in 2005 for off-wiki neo-Nazism, unblocked for lack of on-wiki misconduct, then reblocked shortly thereafter when evidence emerged that he had published an off-wiki list of editors he believed to be Jewish (with some wheel-warring after that, to boot). Discussed (as "Amelkite [sic]") on page 2 of Reagle, Joseph (2010). Good Faith Collaboration: The Culture of Wikipedia. History and Foundations of Information Science. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. ISBN 978-0262518208. JSTOR j.ctt5hhhnf. OCLC 496282188. FWIW, looking at his deleted userpage, at the time of his first block it a copypaste of "The Fable of the Ducks and the Hens", so, I'm not sure if by 2022 standards we'd really call that no on-wiki misconduct. Although I guess it's still no mainspace misconduct... But this sure is. So yeah, times sure have changed. But that technically answers your question. -- Tamzin[cetacean needed] (she/they) 09:19, 18 June 2022 (UTC)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _mainspace?

Was blocked for off-wiki Nazism, reinstated and then did on-wiki Nazism. Wonder if they (singular) would block someone for off-wiki Nazism or Holocaust denial?