Katherine Maher Named C.E.O. of NPR

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Katherine Maher Named C.E.O. of NPR

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

And the conservative media smell (her) blood in the water......

NPR Chief Bragged About Taking Censorship Orders From Feds As Head Of Wikipedia

Bet she actually did some of that. Although I would not call Wikipedia "far-left" as this screechy article does. It's far-stupid first.

Did the Great Wikipedians try to delete the Federalist's article? Hell yes. Maybe it should have been left deleted, because today it's one of the most negative and hostile WP articles I've ever seen. You can thank political nutcase Cwobeel for that. He showed up on WP in 2012 and promptly started trying to post dirt on Mitt Romney, which makes Cwobeel look kinda pathetic in retrospect (Romney is looking like one of the "most reasonable" Republicans nowadays). Anyway....Cwobeel left in 2017 for no apparent reason.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ralist.com

meanwhile it's "Snipe at Katherine Week".......
https://nypost.com/2024/04/17/real-esta ... -for-2-7m/
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/k ... s-a-drone/
https://www.city-journal.org/article/qu ... rman-maher
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... _done.html

Jeez, they act as if she were "important", or even "competent".
Last edited by ericbarbour on Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:11 am

Meanwhile meanwhile, there was a WPO thread. Which started in January wondering if the WMF board fired Maher. They are barely mentioning this new NPR development, because "meh, it's just right-wing media trash". Not exactly true.

Katherine is an exceptional bullshit artist. When properly motivated.
https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-extra/ ... d-our-work
Last edited by ericbarbour on Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm

Regardless of your positions in the NPR fiasco I strongly suspect that it will become another opportunity to get Wikipedia's problems exposed for good. The possibility of Congressional committee on Wikipedia's problems one day may have crossed into certainty by this point, as politicians wouldn't take kindly of BS from Wikipedia jeopardizing governmental institutions and interests.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm
Regardless of your positions in the NPR fiasco I strongly suspect that it will become another opportunity to get Wikipedia's problems exposed for good. The possibility of Congressional committee on Wikipedia's problems one day may have crossed into certainty by this point, as politicians wouldn't take kindly of BS from Wikipedia jeopardizing governmental institutions and interests.
mainstream media has now had more than 20 years to expose wikipedias problems, either they arent interested or their readership is not. whichever it is, wikipedia is here to stay at least for now. the fake news media provides those "reliable sources" wikipedians blather about, and wikipedia provides the fake news media with incoming links so its like the ourobouros.

while a congressional hearing with a bunch of greasy wikipedians as witnesses would be hilarious, the governments interests align with those of wikipedia/the wmf, and its institutions edit wikipedia. hopefully i am wrong and wikipedia will end but it isnt likely at least for a while.

Marsha Blackburn is allegedly pushing for NPR to be defunded but NPR is a cash cow for "made men" like Maher and it is probably at least as durable as wikipedia. we are stuck with blackburn, maher, the wmf/wikipedia, and npr probably forever. :(

what could take down wmf/wikipedia is a reform of non-profits in the usa but i doubt that will happen within my lifetime.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Bingo!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1780962477011796287
That’s literally the point of Wikipedia
EXCLUSIVE: Katherine Maher says that she abandoned a "free and open" internet as the mission of Wikipedia, because those principles recapitulated a "white male Westernized construct" and "did not end up living into the intentionality of what openness can be."
One would not lose hope considering that Elizabeth Holmes was the darling of the mainstream as well before Carreyou exposed her.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm

He's one to talk. Mr. Free Speech But Not for People I Don't Like.
EXCLUSIVE: Katherine Maher says that she abandoned a "free and open" internet as the mission of Wikipedia, because those principles recapitulated a "white male Westernized construct" and "did not end up living into the intentionality of what openness can be."
So the implication is: "free and open" is what SHE wants and to hell with everyone else. She wants to push out anyone who doesn't agree completely with her. Which makes her an extravagant hypocrite, as well as an egomaniac--WP continues to suffer from the same old White Male Nerds Running Everything bit. Her relatively short time running the WMF, 2016 to 2021, was a bust as far as anyone can tell. Absolutely nothing substantial changed in there. The rigid, paranoid, reactionary, corrupt bureaucracy, run by mostly cock-bearing white nerds, continues as before.

Hmm, maybe they DID fire her.

Maher, Wales, and Musk all have a similar view of what the internet should be--an egomaniac's view. "I am Maximum Supreme Leader And Inerrant Messiah of the web! You shall obey my incoherent mushmouthing and bizarre demands! Or else!" Yeah, good luck trying.

Reminder: Steve Huffman has been trying a similar shtick on Reddit. They went public a month ago--and this is what the stock did.
redditstock-month1.jpg
redditstock-month1.jpg (22.19 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Last edited by ericbarbour on Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:18 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:07 pm
He's one to talk. Mr. Free Speech But Not for People I Don't Like.
So the implication is: "free and open" is what SHE wants and to hell with everyone else. She wants to push out anyone who doesn't agree completely with her. Which makes her an extravagant hypocrite, as well as an egomaniac--WP continues to suffer from the same old White Male Nerds Running Everything bit. Her relatively short time running the WMF, 2016 to 2021, was a bust as far as anyone can tell. Absolutely nothing substantial changed in there. The rigid, paranoid, reactionary, corrupt bureaucracy, run by mostly cock-bearing white nerds, continues as before.

Hmm, maybe they DID fire her.

Maher, Wales, and Musk all have a similar view of what the internet should be--an egomaniac's view. "I am Maximum Supreme Leader And Inerrant Messiah of the web! You shall obey my incoherent mushmouthing and bizarre demands! Or else!" Yeah, good luck trying.

Reminder: Steve Huffman has been trying a similar shtick on Reddit. They went public a month ago--and this is what the stock did.
redditstock-month1.jpg
Things are moving fast now. Now Rep. Jim Jordan has publicly announced that he will make a bill to defund NPR.

https://twitter.com/RepJimBanks/status/ ... 1448581157
Congress shouldn’t be paying pro-censorship leftist activists.

I’ll be introducing legislation to #DefundNPR
If the bill becomes law and NPR is defunded for months then the extra money should go to NASA's Mars sample return mission, just saying.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 pm

"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:58 pm
Getting attention on Reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/stupidpol/comm ... abandoned/
The UAP community such as Rob Heatherly is now tweeting about it as well. Now we've got a big axis against Wikipedia, all thanks to none other than Katherine Maher herself.

Eric, can you dig up your book wiki notes about Katherine Maher? I think that's a prime opportunity to get those breadcrumbs to Christopher F. Rufo who's now focusing on the NPR controversy and hopefully get your book published soon.