A council, instead of lynch mobs and kangaroo courts.

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

A council, instead of lynch mobs and kangaroo courts.

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:25 pm

Madam gender desk wrote:One of Africa’s most isolated and vulnerable wikis is about to feel the full wrath of Wikipedia’s most powerful in-group.

This is why Wikipedia needs a council, instead of lynch mobs and kangaroo courts.

Dysklyver wrote:I am not sure if much will happen beyond this one admin being globally banned.

Source

Why I don't belong to the hasten the day brigade is because:

First of all I think it would be the best to destroy Wikipedia complete because it is a huge scandal it exist so long already in this form, absolute. After I have said this, but I am afraid if that happens it is no solution at the long run for many reasons. So, improving wikipedia is a TINA option in my eyes, it is the best choice out of many other even worser solutions. Because if you destroy wikipedia you lose any controle over that digital garbage tin and it will spread complete uncontrolled over the internet. .
So the first thing you have to do is start professional external arbitrage, indeed counseling, where someone can appeal in his or her native language. Because that is the best weapon against inbred puddingheads and kangaroo courts and fucking corrupt Alexander lynch mobs in my opinion. And also against corrupt shitheads like for instance professor Mies and many others.

But it is just only a thought, and I should like to hear Crow and Arthur there opinion about this or from the others. And of course of madam gender herself, but unfortunately she refuse to come over.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: A council, instead of lynch mobs and kangaroo courts.

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:21 pm

In a bizarre way, I genuinely don't think anyone would trust the content of a destroyed Wikipedia if it washes up on other sites. Even if it was exactly the same, not a comma changed. That is the deception Wikipedia has achieved. They have persuaded people that the stuff in "Wikipedia" is either trustworthy, or likely enough to be good enough for their own purposes. If they see it on another site, especially if it has adverts, they will revert to viewing it now they always should have, as just another part of the cloud of dubious nonsense you can find all over the internet.

The best reason not to believe Wikipedia will ever be fixed, is because it will never be fixed. Most of the Wikipedians either don't accept or just don't care that it is broken. In their eyes, it works. Because it is used. Hence why the focus should be on destroying it by giving the public something that is better, and watch the page views plummet.

The Wikipedians think they have built up a brand loyalty. Quite a daft thing to assume, when you never had any competition, and you don't really care what your customer wants. They dumped their article feedback tool, because the stupid public kept highlighting issues the Wikipedians can't or won't fix. That shows it is a hobby, not a charity. The WMF has spent real money on researching what readers want. Not their money, of course. The mug punters hard earned. The Wikipedians could care less. If you're not interested in the finer details of the history of Stinky Crumpet Bottom Railway Station, if you want to know about Tigers, then fuck you!

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 pm

I am already seeing Google replacing minority language Wikipedia's with translations of the English Wikipedia created by their highly advanced neural net AI translator.

https://www.techinasia.com/google-partner-wikipedia-indonesia

So the days of the minority language Wikipedia site may be numbered anyway.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:06 pm

But in base this change nothing. Because a single article on the Indonesia or for instance the Danish wiki can be much better than on the English Wiki. And on the Dutch Wiki are articles which are much better than on the English wiki and visa versa. The English or the Germans wiki's for sure contain less crap than the Dutch, but are far both far from perfect. Het is de kopje's van links naar rechts over de tafel schuiven, pushing the cups over the table from the left side to the right.
Of course you can put the Dutch wiki under curatele, ward of wikimedia DE and kick wikimedia NL and BE out of the door, and yes, that should be a big improvement, but the tremendous garbage tin Wikipedia still remains.
Because the German wiki has as well many problems. Not as much as the Dutch, that is hardly impossible, but still they have. And that is te real problem.