Wikia and virus alerts

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
The End
Sucks Fan

Wikia and virus alerts

Post by The End » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:29 am

Has anyone been on Wikia and got a fake virus or malware alert? I keep getting them even on the latest version of Firefox and my virus program detects no problems. I've encounter similar problems on other wiki farms like Fandom.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Wikia and virus alerts

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:02 am

I never go on those sites, so no. It sounds like a security certificate type issue rather than any actual exposure to malware, but I guess there's not a lot of oversight over what these pages contain.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:21 pm

They are busy migrating all the sites from wikia.com to either fandom.com or wikia.org.

While this is happening there is a lot of cross domain resource fetching and broken security certificates, both of which are flagged up as attacks by modern browsers.

Obviously this shouldn't happen, but wikia is not known for their technical competence. :roll:

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:49 am

Dysklyver wrote:Obviously this shouldn't happen, but wikia is not known for their technical competence. :roll:

Heh that's putting it mildly and politely. Even more than the WMF, Wikia is a reflection of the damaged little petty mind of The Jimbo. They go from one quiet shit-explosion to another, year after year, all nicely covered up. Their server stack is routinely subjected to hacker attacks and assorted "hijinks", because Wikia is a big fat target and hackers know it's not well managed.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:46 am

I only realized today that Fandom is Wikia. Wikia/Fandom also bought Curse LLC and now that belongs to Jimbo, too. Curse owns Gamepedia and now I have to wonder how Wikia is going to butcher it as well. I used to post on a gaming wiki that was taken in by Wikia. They really screwed it up.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:27 am

The End wrote:I only realized today that Fandom is Wikia. Wikia/Fandom also bought Curse LLC and now that belongs to Jimbo, too. Curse owns Gamepedia and now I have to wonder how Wikia is going to butcher it as well. I used to post on a gaming wiki that was taken in by Wikia. They really screwed it up.

It doesn't really "belong" to Wales, the seed money came from venture-capital firms and Amazon. Doubt they would tolerate anymore of the old Jimbo/Gil Penchina games today. They've also been buying up other properties and putting the operators thereof in management. You will not see any of the old Wikipedia/WMF buttlicks on their current staff page.

Here's a challenge: figure out who is on Fandom.com's board of directors. I dare ya. Search engines are useless, because they catalog all kinds of "Board of Directors" articles on Wikia/Fandom wikis as if they were "facts". Unlike every other public corporation with a website, Fandom.com has no Board of Directors listing; nor can I find any annual financial reports. They are still operating like a secret organization. All I could find was this outdated Bloomberg listing.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:50 am

If you really want the info, you have to fork out $20 to delaware.gov for the tax return of WIKIA, INC. 4091842.

That isn't to say that they don't use nominees to hide the real people. :?