Lomax v. WikiMedia Foundation, Inc. et al

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Re: Lomax v. WikiMedia Foundation, Inc. et al

Post by Guido den Broeder » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:29 pm

European copyright law is changing. I recently participated in a Wikimedia.nl meeting where current changes were discussed that are not unfavorable towards online repositories and their use. That is only the beginning. A major overhaul will follow soon.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:32 pm

Guido den Broeder wrote:European copyright law is changing. I recently participated in a Wikimedia.nl meeting where current changes were discussed that are not unfavorable towards online repositories and their use. That is only the beginning. A major overhaul will follow soon.
Yes, though this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:08 pm

Abd wrote:
Guido den Broeder wrote:European copyright law is changing. I recently participated in a Wikimedia.nl meeting where current changes were discussed that are not unfavorable towards online repositories and their use. That is only the beginning. A major overhaul will follow soon.
Yes, though this has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Indeed. Except I am not sitting all the afternoon the last beautiful summer days in a law firm on De Maliebaan in Utrecht for some fucking law case but under my apple tree with a good glas of wine, the cat, and a few cashew nuts. And a old National Geographic. Mijn dag kan niet meer stuk, en komt nooit meer terug.

Older man must take care of themself Abd, and not running behind a pot unreachable gold. By the way, did you know both cashew nuts and purring cats are extreem good for your health and lower your blood pressure? That's proven by scientists. Abd, you should take better care of yourself.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:16 pm

I'm amazed they didn't call the cops on you....

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:20 pm

ericbarbour wrote:

For what?

We've always had normal relations with them. I've been to meetings before, and even met Jimmy Wales.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:53 pm

Is correct. In the beginning of my career on Sage in a discussion with De Kolonel you told us you went to a meeting. And yes, European copyright law is changing raptly.
But the solution is extreem simple, creating instead of being a copycat. Because, if you create, really create I mean and not remixing you own the rights and can do what ever you want with your work. And well, I gave Guido the full permission to use my work on his Wikisage under a CC licence because it feels safe there.
Only on one or two pictures I kept the copyright but the use there is OK. To be clear, I have not any problem or conflict with Guido, I gave this permision in a email.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:31 am

Guido den Broeder wrote:
ericbarbour wrote:

For what?

We've always had normal relations with them. I've been to meetings before, and even met Jimmy Wales.
I think Eric may have presumed you have a global ban (includes meat space), not a community ban.

I presume, if Framgate ends with a finding that he is a bit harrassy, you will be appealing your cban? Since he was basically the primary driver of it all. Not quite analagous, but you could take inspiration from SashiRolls.

Not implying you still want to be an editor, but that you would appeal just for the principle (or to demonstrate they have no principles). Obviously though if you do, don't make the mistake of not saying you of course absolutely plan to be editing if unbanned.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:58 am

Guido is not SanFanBanned as far as I am concerned but Global Locked. And that's a difference. A Global Lock is only about his account what in this case contains his real name, but a office ban is about the person.
Me is told I may not use the WMF infrastructure anymore, what ever that might be. Because it is very unclear if a chapter belongs to that or not. In a legal way I mean.
Guido not, the only thing what is not allowed is using his Guido account.

But what I have read the last time in the posting on Wikisage a while ago in that discussion with De Kolonel was Guido not enthusiast about the chapter.
And why I don't have any, any hard feeling in the direction of Guido is because I am complete uninterested in anything what contains the name wiki anymore.

I wrote a few articles, made a few pictures, and hope he is happy with it. And if he want some more articles he just say it to me. With as only condition he put his complete crazy sysops a muzzle for. But Guido is OK, I had never any problem with him and he seems to me a nice intelligent guy. Prettig gestoord we say in Holland.

I really feel bad his medical condition is so bad. Hope they find some treatment in the future.

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:28 pm

I am neither globally banned nor locked, in fact I am not banned on any WMF project and still make occasional edits.

CrowsNest wrote:
Guido den Broeder wrote:I presume, if Framgate ends with a finding that he is a bit harrassy, you will be appealing your cban? Since he was basically the primary driver of it all. Not quite analagous, but you could take inspiration from SashiRolls.

Not implying you still want to be an editor, but that you would appeal just for the principle (or to demonstrate they have no principles). Obviously though if you do, don't make the mistake of not saying you of course absolutely plan to be editing if unbanned.

I have the safety of another person to consider so if I decide to appeal the en:wp block, which is entirely based on Fram's lies, it will be done behind the scenes. Perhaps I won't even need to file an appeal, we'll see. I don't really care about the nl:wp block.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Guido den Broeder wrote:I am neither globally banned nor locked, in fact I am not banned on any WMF project and still make occasional edits.

It was before my time, but wasn't you not banned OT by arbcom in the van Dillen era? And what I have understand is the Dutch arbcom in that time grounded special and only to eliminate you, but I can be wrong.
And the Fram slander as if you was not trusted with minors came later I suppose, because about that I couldn't find anything back in the history. And on WP-Nl I have never heard anything about it. The story was new for me the last arbcom election when they started about it on WO.