"Wiki Wormhole" ends

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

"Wiki Wormhole" ends

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 am

The final installment. Talk amongst yourselves. (Yes, I tried to get Vago interested in Wikipedia's insane history....he demurred.)

https://www.avclub.com/goodbye-farewell ... 1847117946

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: "Wiki Wormhole" ends

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:28 pm

From a cost-benefit standpoint it was the cheapest way to make articles for the AV Club, but you've been right that it just makes Wikipedia look good, and Wikipedia only looks good because everybody forgets that the Encyclopedia Britannica is online.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Jake Is A Sellout
Sucks Warrior

Re: "Wiki Wormhole" ends

Post by Jake Is A Sellout » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:41 pm

If I could be arsed with their comments system, I would have posted this.....
It takes zero achievement to create an “encyclopedia” that by design, is unreliable. Wikipedia’s supposed success is merely a sick accident, a confluence of having enough consumers who don’t actually care whether what they are reading is true, and enough who never even knew what Wikipedia is, how it works, what its flaws are. There is a reason that every single other project begun by its founders, up to and including replacing the news, has failed. They didn’t know what they were doing, Wikipedia was an experiment, a failed experiment, and it shows. According to one measure, it has only written a tiny fraction of the articles it is supposed to have. And of what they have written, by their own metrics, only 0.1% is up to the standard they set out to meet. Nobody cares. Too stupid to even know they’ve been conned.