The Wikia thread

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

The Wikia thread

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:01 am

Catch-all for Wikia discussion.

On WO in 2014 I posted a chart showing how Wikipedia links to Wiki had increased over the years. Info that Greg Kohs had been keeping. They peaked out at 34,141 links in early 2013. It was an ongoing sore point on Wikipedia Review and then on WO for years--makes their shit about "Reliable Sources" look stupid. Since when is Wikia information "reliable"??

I have to assume some WP insider saw that, because then links started to disappear.
WP-Wikiatotallinks.png
WP-Wikiatotallinks.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 4072 times

Well, I just checked the WP-Wikia link total today, and it is going up again. Currently at 31,868 links. Someone gave up and the nerds went back to citing Wikia in their references.

Tex
Sucks Noob

Re: The Wikia thread

Post by Tex » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:49 pm

Their GlassDoor reviews have gotten steadily worse since late last year when they became "Fandom"

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:52 am

Tex wrote:Their GlassDoor reviews have gotten steadily worse since late last year when they became "Fandom"

And that's a good point. They bought Fandom.com in 2015 and tried to rebrand. ("Fandom Powered By Wikia" :P )

Far as I can tell there was a major shakeup in top management in summer 2016, then in December something like 1/3 of all the employees were laid off. Morale went to hell.....yet their Alexa rank started to rise.

Yes kiddies, Jimbo doesn't mind firing people just before Christmas, the Scroogey little prick.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:02 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Tex wrote:Their GlassDoor reviews have gotten steadily worse since late last year when they became "Fandom"

And that's a good point. They bought Fandom.com in 2015 and tried to rebrand. ("Fandom Powered By Wikia" :P )

Far as I can tell there was a major shakeup in top management in summer 2016, then in December something like 1/3 of all the employees were laid off. Morale went to hell.....yet their Alexa rank started to rise.

Yes kiddies, Jimbo doesn't mind firing people just before Christmas, the Scroogey little prick.
Wow. That's some relevant news. I had no idea. Don't these links to Wikia from WP result in more ad revenue for Wales himself?

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:09 pm

The reviews are damning. It sounds like a nightmare workplace.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:59 am

Flip Flopped wrote:Don't these links to Wikia from WP result in more ad revenue for Wales himself?

Yes, and absolutely NO ONE associated with the WMF OR Wikia will admit this in public.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:49 am

Wikia/Fandom is an indirect embezzlement scheme to funnel donations from the WMF into the for-profit Fandom executives and their bloated, ad-filled garbage website. You can’t even search their website without being redirect to an ad. Their website is bloated that you can’t even open a second tab on ios without Fandom crashing.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Email: wikipediasucks@disroot.org

Petition to ban Bbb23Wikipedia AlternativeDonate to help French strikers