Help evade

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Help evade

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed May 22, 2019 10:20 am

Dysklyver wrote:Well I am the best sockmaster ever because I don't use proxies or VPNs. ;)

Well, this is the best tip till now, I do the same. No VPN's, no mobile internet, a fixed old fashion IP, and I am even a better sockmaster than Dysk. None will ever get me! i just use paranormal power out of the eight dimension. :mrgreen: No bot will ever get me! :roll:
Chakra, ask Lidewij, she is a expert. :o

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 pm

Be sure to disable the Autoblock tracking cookie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Autoblock#Cookie_block

I don't remember it's name. This page says: *BlockID
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Autoblock#Tracking

I usually just disable (block) all cookies from en.wikipedia.org, and go to incognito mode to be sure, or you can try the EditThisCookie addon for chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/editthiscookie/fngmhnnpilhplaeedifhccceomclgfbg

Do this before switching IP, or you will notify WP about your block history.

Then you need a way to switch IP (dynamic IP, pro VPN). Forget free VPNs and Tor, all of them I tried is known and blacklisted on WP.
Make a new account, adapt a different personality (editing patterns), stay away from the topics and editors where you got into trouble, etc.

There are sock-puppets operating under the radar, even high-profile admins have some. They refined their techniques for years, so be prepared to be discovered ;-)
Last edited by JuiceBeetle on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:35 am

Gaslighted wrote:Be sure to disable the Autoblock tracking cookie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... okie_block
I don't remember it's name. This page says: *BlockID
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Autoblock#Tracking
I usually just disable (block) all cookies from en.wikipedia.org, and go to incognito mode to be sure, or you can try the EditThisCookie addon for chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ceomclgfbg
Do this before switching IP, or you will notify WP about your block history.
Then you need a way to switch IP (dynamic IP, pro VPN). Forget free VPNs and Tor, all of them I tried is known and blacklisted on WP.
Make a new account, adapt a different personality (editing patterns), stay away from the topics and editors where you got into trouble, etc.
There are sock-puppets operating under the radar, even high-profile admins have some. They refined their techniques for years, so be prepared to be discovered ;-)

That's the beginning. Create plenty of free email accounts and use them to create WP socks. It's a lot of labor and trouble, but hey, if it works for Grawp....

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm

We know the OP is not the brightest bulk in the pack, because what he wants to do is RCP

However, he might also be very young, and working in the salt mines can be educational. It's dangerous, though, because it can be addicting, which doesn't mean "bad," but if something is addicting we may continue it when it is no longer serving our life.

So I'm going to offer some advice as to how to do what he wants to do.

Unless you want to get into complicated tricks, give it a rest for three months. Get rid of your Wikipedia cookies. If you were using fixed access, use something else. (Supposedly data more than three months old is dumped. That's true, as to the raw data, but if you have attracted much attention, some checkusers keep data, and there may be checkuser data on checkuserwiki.)

To avoid deja vu all over again, you need to understand how and why you were blocked. Until you have a very well-established new identity, you will need to avoid Favorite Topics *completely.* And even then, with a good record, go back and the whole thing might blow up.

So when you are past the normal checkuser window at least three months, from your last sock access, you can register an account and start making edits that everyone will see as helpful. RCP is pretty crowded, but if you are quick, you can get some edits in. Read stuff and correct small errors. Learn to find and add sources. Stay away from any controversy until you have years of experience under your belt. Until then, though, read the noticeboards and ArbCom cases. Don't comment until you are well beyond needing advice.

You can also edit other wikis, such as Wikibooks, Wikiquote, Wikisource, Wikiversity. Learn to collaborate with a community. You could also register and edit on RationalWiki, they are always looking for retards.

(Seriously it can be a rough community, but it is a wiki and you can edit it.)

Mostly, being blocked on Wikipedia will be irrelevant to the other WMF wikis. There can be exceptions, but there are people who were blocked on Wikipedia who went on to become administrators on other WMF wikis.

You might also look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Standard_offer

That's the official way to do it. You can get a new account name, there are many details, but core will be a commitment to not return to the behavior that got you blocked or banned. I looked at your SPI case and there was concern about your ability to work with others. This is an issue that will dog you your entire life if you don't address it. So you could consider all this as an opportunity.

Use it well.

Masked User
Sucks Noob

Post by Masked User » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm

I do that all the time, sure I could help you out.

I'm making a guide on block evasion right now.

Masked User
Sucks Noob

Post by Masked User » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:59 pm

Abd wrote:Unless you want to get into complicated tricks, give it a rest for three months. Get rid of your Wikipedia cookies. If you were using fixed access, use something else. (Supposedly data more than three months old is dumped. That's true, as to the raw data, but if you have attracted much attention, some checkusers keep data, and there may be checkuser data on checkuserwiki.)

So when you are past the normal checkuser window at least three months, from your last sock access, you can register an account and start making edits that everyone will see as helpful. RCP is pretty crowded, but if you are quick, you can get some edits in. Read stuff and correct small errors. Learn to find and add sources. Stay away from any controversy until you have years of experience under your belt. Until then, though, read the noticeboards and ArbCom cases. Don't comment until you are well beyond needing advice.

Another trick: If you and your socks are not globally locked, whenever you're traveling/in places where you have not usually edited Wikipedia, log on to your previous accounts, and perhaps edit on other sister projects if possible. Doing so will give the illusion that your previous accounts are geographically unrelated to your new one(s). So, should the admins check your new account(s) for whatever reason, it'll come up as "unrelated", and you'll be safe.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:40 am

Use your cleanest sock to "make nice" with people on public IRC channels. Create a Facebook and friend as many WP insiders as possible. And by all means; patrol as much vandalism as you can. That is "proof' that you are not a "disruptive influence" or any such crap.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:17 pm

ericbarbour wrote:Use your cleanest sock to "make nice" with people on public IRC channels. Create a Facebook and friend as many WP insiders as possible. And by all means; patrol as much vandalism as you can. That is "proof' that you are not a "disruptive influence" or any such crap.
I was there, in 2007-2000, to improve the project, but mostly by working on empowering the real community, and I recognized that wikignoming, I called it working in the salt mines, was a standard respected by the "core," the cabal that developed, which is quite distinct from the actual full community and which very poorly represents it. So I considered Recent Changes like a video game. The goal was to be the first to find and revert vandalism. Occasionally, I got distracted checking sources, if you do that, you get fewer "points." It was actually difficult. I would have a recent changes page with 50 edits, accessible with a single click. I'd look down for anything standing out, and attempt a revert if it didn't look good (I could undo this later if not actually warranted!) It was difficult to find anything, because there were so many doing the same thing.

It was kinda fun.

However, this was monstrously inefficient, and, without any review system, utterly unreliable. Very fast, yes, for very obvious vandalism, though some would still get through, it could be found later, sometimes much later. DYK that So-and-so is best known for big dumps?

It was commonly lousy if the vandalism was made to appear sourced, etc., as Greg Kohs showed spectacularly. The defects are intrinsic in the operational concept. In addition to RCP, there could easily be responsible review. The software is there. A user would sign up to review all edits between certain times, and that could be determined automatically. The editor could mark these edits off as being checked. And that way, if vandalism gets through, there is someone responsible! Who would get troutslapped. Doing this more than occasionally, Reviewer right might be taken away. Etc.

A responsible reviewer could also consult. Did Wikipedia set up any body of experts to consult? Don't make me laugh!

The RCP system rewards shallow review, not any kind of care or depth. Reliability requires structure, knee-jerk rejected for years.

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm

"ST47", one of the checkusers who suppressed the complaint about NinjaRobotPirate and Bbb23's checkuser tool abuse just filed the following checkuser feature request:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T241891
"Log and display in CheckUser when a user trips a cookie block"
"When a user logs in to an account that is blocked, a cookie is set which allows that block to follow that device even if they log in to a different account or change IPs. Seeing when this happens would be very valuable for checkusers, as it would provide us with very strong evidence of accounts being operated by the same person. Currently, because the cookie block prevents them from editing, we don't get this evidence."

Whenever a blocked user logs in the "enwikiBlockID" cookie is set with 24hour time-to-live (as I remember).
If that user logs out and edits a page (either logged in with another account or not) there is a big message informing them the save button is disabled. This is when a log entry would be made according to his proposal.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm

JuiceBeetle wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm
suppressed the complaint about NinjaRobotPirate and Bbb23's checkuser tool abuse

It's more than obvious that Bbb23 does not have good intentions in mind.

If he did, he would behave much differently.

Also, NinjaRobotPirate voted for deleting Handroid7's abuse report on Commons too.

The evidence is clear.
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.