Whoops, it's time to pathetically beg for money again!

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Re: Whoops, it's time to pathetically beg for money again!

Post by Kumioko » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm

I'm certain they spend money on subscriptions but not all are for the volunteers. Probably so.e for the lawyers, probably some for software or IT related things, certainly for some references for the volunteers. I don't know how much, but I would suspect if we looks at the annual spending document it will mention them.
#BbbGate

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:02 pm

Just a question, because you are walking here hand in hand, are the two of you also married? Not any problem for me, I am extreem tolerant, just curious. Dit you meet each other just like Laura and maria on a meeting, or is there another story to tell? Tell us!

The two of you are such a lovely couple, we all love the two of you!

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Kumioko wrote:I'm certain they spend money on subscriptions but not all are for the volunteers. Probably so.e for the lawyers, probably some for software or IT related things, certainly for some references for the volunteers. I don't know how much, but I would suspect if we looks at the annual spending document it will mention them.
And developers/lawyers need a subscription to newspapers.com for what exactly?

You don't half talk crap, you really do.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Carrite wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:You object to them not spending on what you want them to spend it on. Stuff like free newspaper subscriptions, for you.

What evidence do you have that WMF spends anything at all on subscriptions?

I have a strong hunch that they collect "free" subs from various publishers, who use the "donation" as a tax write-off...

Hmmmm? So how many donor dollars is WMF spending on those two subs (JSTOR, Newspapers.com) that I "do not deserve"???

P.S. There might be another journal sub out there as well, I forget. I only use the two mentioned.
I'm sure I saw this stuff spoken about as a delicate but hard won negotiation, which rather implies actual folding money changed hands.

But hey, if your hunch tells you you're not a bad person, who am I to argue?

Self-certification of morality certainly sounds like a Wikipedian thing.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:27 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
Carrite wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:You object to them not spending on what you want them to spend it on. Stuff like free newspaper subscriptions, for you.

What evidence do you have that WMF spends anything at all on subscriptions?

I have a strong hunch that they collect "free" subs from various publishers, who use the "donation" as a tax write-off...

Hmmmm? So how many donor dollars is WMF spending on those two subs (JSTOR, Newspapers.com) that I "do not deserve"???

P.S. There might be another journal sub out there as well, I forget. I only use the two mentioned.
I'm sure I saw this stuff spoken about as a delicate but hard won negotiation, which rather implies actual folding money changed hands.

But hey, if your hunch tells you you're not a bad person, who am I to argue?

Self-certification of morality certainly sounds like a Wikipedian thing.

Quibbling about pocket change while WMF grifts away multimillions strikes me as indicative of misdirected priorities.

RfB

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Carrite wrote:Quibbling about pocket change while WMF grifts away multimillions strikes me as indicative of misdirected priorities.
My recollection is that it wasn't pocket change.

Not multi-millions no, but that leaves a big range, no?

But, hey, glad you're coming around. You are dipping your sticky fingers in the tin, but it's only a couple of cookies, right? Where's the harm?

:oops: