Discord

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: Discord

Post by Abd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:56 pm

This is topic an post is about the Discord Wikipediocracy Server.

It is essentially a family of chatrooms, i.e,. channels. Anyone can access the Vetting channel who is not banned. To get access to first set of channels, including General, requires the Level One Role be assigned to that. Any Mod can assign any role lower in rank than Mod.

Mods can also change the roles of those with lower rank (and can ban). Regulars who show that they can maintain a civil conversation, at least most of the time, are normally given Mod. Much is easily forgiven, but there is a user who is presently a Mod, who has ping-ponged about because he is, ah, erratic. Kumioko is a Mod, as am I. On the Server, Kumioko was asked to confine his bitching to a Level Two channel, Flame-wars. Mostly he has done that, so he has kept his Mod role (which allows him to see everything).

I don't know if I should announce the Owner, but one of our friends from here blocked her (which is like Foe here, it suppresses display). And to give an idea of her gravitas, she just assigned this friend Mod. This friend had a very weird reason for blocking her. Not a good sign, but the Owner is not reactive, but thoughtful and highly tolerant.

Further, an admin (the only other one) created some new channels requiring a new Role, Level 5, and access to this was separately granted to most Mods. The reasons for this are all obvious to those who have been following affairs. (One of them where it was not granted is no longer a Mod. They left the Server and when you leave the Server, all the Roles vanish.)

More will be revealed.
Last edited by Abd on Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Uhhh abd, we are here not on the Discord server, sorry.... :roll:

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm

Few among us have any experience with Quora. They have a very interesting system. They used to have volunteer moderators. They abandoned that and went entirely to paid staff moderation. Quora claims to have only one rule. In fact, they do have a few more, having to with copyright and the like. They require real names. For practical reasons, at any given time, there are many fake names. The single rule is BNBR, often mentioned by the acronym. Be Nice, Be Respectful.
And when someone thinks a post is not-nice or not-respectful, they do not want people to argue with it or to attack the poster as not-nice or not-respectful, or racist, or whatever. Disagreement is acceptable, if nice and respectful.
Now, long internet tradition was to give as was given to you. Someone flames you, you flame right back, showing strength, or so it would seem to someone who has not moved beyond that. If you complained, you were a "whiner" and "can't stand the heat."
Top Writers on Quora, getting millions of page views, sometimes have strong opinions, that they express, and, no surprise, trolls show up to attack them.

First line of defense: an Answer author can prohibit comments on their Answers. We can also delete comments. I've deleted useless comments and the troll comes right back, "What, are you afraid of criticism?"

What Top Writers (I'm not there yet, but have similar support and followers and issues) have learned is to delete, ban from commenting on their Answers (you can do that with individual users), and report.

If a comment actually is uncivil, or even if it just looks that way, Quora Moderation acts. it can take them a few days. So with such comments on my Answers, I downvote (which somewhat suppresses display, or deleted, or report. I know that a few confirmed reports will result in a block or ban of the user. I make a decision and act on it. If I were to respond with a natural response, what I actually think, I would end up being reported myself (there are many looking for such an opportunity). At this point, I'd probably just get a warning, depending on how bad it looked to the moderator.

The moderators are probably underpaid and overworked. They have a few seconds to judge. So, instead of railing at incompetent adminstration (Quora does liberally allow critique of Quora, but YMMV), the smart move is to accept it they way it is, and use it. It actually saves a lot of time, not responding to trolls.

Quora never bans someone for writing too much. A user is permitted one Answer to any Question, but may edit it forever. If not banned, of course. If the post is too long so that people don't read it, they don't upvote and might, if they feel like it, downvote. A certain ratio of downvotes to upvotes, the Answer is demoted in display position and may be "collapsed," which then takes special action to even see it and it probably is not googleable. So if one writes too much, natural consequences. In fact, people who ask questions or who are looking for Answers, generally appreciate detailed responses. If someone is a good writer, a long answer can me more to enjoy. Etc. It is also true that brevity is the soul of wit. I did write one answer that was *extremely short*. Such answers tend to be collapsed, but because that Answer was actually appropriate, it may have survived. People sometimes complain about an Answer years later, so it might be collapsed. And collapse can be appealed if you find out about it. The worst thing about Quora is poor logs, it's very difficult to track content and to look for things like "all my collapsed answers."

My basic point here is that there are ways to handle the civility issue, and if they are applied strictly, users adapt -- or don't and leave or are banned. Quora is full of drek, but ... display of drek is suppressed, you pretty much have to look for it, and my "feed," which is what Quora tells me about (I get phone notifications for some of it), is generally of high interest. It's some of the best writing on the internet.

Reddit is interesting, I'm active there, but it also sucks in some ways. Terrible logs.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:27 pm

Murubima wrote:As usual, by insisting everyone is a sock, you are simply confirming that you twist and distort everything to fit in with whatever bizarre theory you are currently immersed in.
Classic Kumioko language, as seen recently when talking about me.

And what the fuck are you even on about? Insisting everyone is a sock? Since when?

Expanding one incident to claim I do it all the time to everyone? Yup, that's a Kumioko marker too.

And ignoring requests he couldn't and wouldn't want to answer? (prove convincingly he's not Kumioko) Yup, that's Kumioko too.

If people need more proof, they probably need help with all kinds of shit.
Last edited by CrowsNest on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moderated spaz and one shit.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Well, first of all you areof course a Kum sock, Murubima, (or a Any joke) but that is not the matter here.
Because It is indeed almost imposible to give a 100% evidence you are Kum.

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 pm

Murubima wrote:
I don't have a clue who you were on Wikipedia

It's a well known fact CrowsNest was Mighty Morphin Army Ranger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mighty_Morphin_Army_Ranger
He was MMAR and several other sock accounts on WO - all banned. A grand total of 132 edits on Wikipedia so has tremendous in-depth experience [not].

Yes, it's slightly amusing, but we shouldn't mock him.

The poor man was hopelessly out of his depth. He didn't understand the meaning of encyclopedic content, nor did he appreciate the need for reliable or reputable sources.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Anyone wrote:
Murubima wrote:
I don't have a clue who you were on Wikipedia

It's a well known fact CrowsNest was Mighty Morphin Army Ranger
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Mighty_Morphin_Army_Ranger
He was MMAR and several other sock accounts on WO - all banned. A grand total of 132 edits on Wikipedia so has tremendous in-depth experience [not].

Yes, it's slightly amusing, but we shouldn't mock him.

The poor man was hopelessly out of his depth. He didn't understand the meaning of encyclopedic content, nor did he appreciate the need for reliable or reputable sources.
I love how you're pretending to know what the fuck you're talking about.

But hey, thanks for showing your desperation to hurt me extends to supporting your nemesis. Always makes a person really believable, that sort of thing. I can recall both Vigilant and Kumioko engaging in such nonsense, due to their own sheer desperation. That's your intellectual level. You just can't deal.

Only you and your new best friend here are sad enough to write on Wikipedia for the purpose of writing for Wikipedia. And it kills you that you got played like that. One is definitely still addicted and still grinding away, so is the other, probably, secretly, in between doing this shit and running his company. Yes, he runs a company. Did he ever mention that?

It hasn't worked out for either of you, and you're clearly damaged by the experience. Don't take out your frustrations on the people who understand your pain at a higher level, the way a scientist understands the lab rat. I'm the critic, you're the victims, and don't you stupid bastards ever forget it.

I'm not a scientist though. No ethics controlling me when it comes to dealing with the rats that get too bitey. Hence why you replied here. I'll fucking torture you like I tortured Kumioko, and I'll enjoy it more, because I know he was just a dumb animal.

Stanistani

Post by Stanistani » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:04 am

I stay out of trouble on the Wikipediocracy Discord by not posting much, I usually just read. I believe I'm Level Two, which translates to 'has a pulse.'

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:10 am

I don't even read there. Just like I don't read on your WO anymore.
Why should I be interested in the babbaeling of some DSM-5 wiki fucks and Abd with his tree house IQ 200+ positngs? What does it add? Realy nothing!

I like the ruff criticism of Crow, hard, and strait to the point. Not the tabloid criticism of a bunch of wiki addicts.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Stanistani wrote:I stay out of trouble on the Wikipediocracy Discord by not posting much, I usually just read. I believe I'm Level Two, which translates to 'has a pulse.'
Oh please. Whose to say you're not the Disco-Wiki Fairy Godmother, mentor to the shadowy Princess, the true origin of her sweet nothings whispered into Juice's ear about what's best for this place?

Secret forums on top of secret forums, that's always been your bag. Plots and back room deals. That's the Wikipediocracy way. Take the worst of Wikipedia, and make it even worse.