Wikipedia Critics: an Intellectual Analysis

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Re: Wikipedia Critics: an Intellectual Analysis

Post by JuiceBeetle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Anyone wrote:1. TDA
The mighty TDA occupies the top slot because he seems to be the only serious Wikipedia critic right now with a publishing contract. His analysis is insightful and well-researched; his prose is smooth and easy on the eye.

So to satisfy Crow, that Anyone's evaluation is not the only one and only true (TM), I'll share that this one point surprised me.

I don't see TDA being too active or too much read and cited in recent times. My impression is that his time has gone, and he's finding more important things in life, than wikipedia.
Reading his articles, I find his coverage often one-sided, only exploring his own perspective, and often focusing on political parallels and connections, where the main focus is not politics.
That makes me take him less seriously.

Anyway, Anyone: great list, like the conciseness, thanks for the effort you put into it!

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

JuiceBeetle wrote:
Anyone wrote:1. TDA
The mighty TDA occupies the top slot because he seems to be the only serious Wikipedia critic right now with a publishing contract. His analysis is insightful and well-researched; his prose is smooth and easy on the eye.

So to satisfy Crow, that Anyone's evaluation is not the only one and only true (TM), I'll share that this one point surprised me.

I don't see TDA being too active or too much read and cited in recent times. My impression is that his time has gone, and he's finding more important things in life, than wikipedia.
Reading his articles, I find his coverage often one-sided, only exploring his own perspective, and often focusing on political parallels and connections, where the main focus is not politics.
That makes me take him less seriously.

All good, but did you see how in my revised list I put Larry Sanger at #1.

In addition, did you see that tweet in which Larry promised an announcement on October 18? Apparently he's about to unveil some sort of, well, I don't know. The tweet is over on Discord.

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Anyone wrote:All good, but did you see how in my revised list I put Larry Sanger at #1.

Yes, for me TDA would be 8/10, specifically below Greg, and probably below Larry, but I did not find this important enough to mention.
And I forgot to write: Anyone: great list, like the conciseness, thanks for the effort you put into it!

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 pm

Anyone wrote:did you see that tweet in which Larry promised an announcement on October 18?

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1466&p=14438#p14438

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:Sashi / Bezdomi once told he is from the Mid-West and living in France...

I've never landed in Canada and haven't ever worn much armor, so I suppose poking the beehive is pretty dumb.

Still, I'm pleased to have scored so well on the scales falling from anyone's eyes on a stormy night in Bangkok. I personally would give CN at least two extra points for teaching me (and probably not just me) where to find stuff over the years.

There's a guy on en.wp who has this on his user page:

I've been quite critical of Wikipedia in the past. On many of its aspects, still am. But what 2016 has shown is that, for all its faults, Wikipedia is a ... cubic zirconia in a sea of internet sewage.

Now that guy has a battleground mentality. He often wins. He often whines. CN and TDA have both stayed out of the EEML v. WJ thing. I think they should get at least a point for that. I'm not sure whether it should be a plus or a minus point. I feel like renaming myself anyway, since I'm always going off on tangents.

Anyway... maybe Marek will come over here and use anyone's template to rate himself as a critic.
Last edited by sashi on Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 pm

sashi wrote:Anyway... maybe Marek will come over here and use anyone's template to rate himself as a critic.
OMFG, he so would, wouldn't he? :lol:

I assume you know, but this is Singora from islands past. Look at the dude pretending like I'm some dumb fuck now. Thinks he can fool everybody. Must be drinking some of that fermented Elephant dung.

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:43 am

Right, back on topic.

Mid-level Critics

Carrite
In addition to being one of Wikipedia's most respected editors, Tim is an enthusiastic and much-admired contributor to WPO. His criticism is thoughtful and unbiased; his predictions are surprisingly accurate. Tim also earned significant praise for the punishment he dished out to CrowsNest during Rumble in the Jungle, an epic bout hosted here on WPS.

CONS
As yet -- regrettably -- Tim hasn't entered the world of senior content creators. The gentleman has produced no GAs, FAs or FLs.

PROS
A studious individual whose reputation for diligence and industriousness is balanced by a sharp wit and fine sense of humor.

RATING
6/10

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:03 am

A pair of junior critics.

Junior Critics

Poetlister
I honestly don't know why this man even bothers. He adds no value whatsoever to WPO and will never be able to escape his appalling reputation.

CONS
Too many to mention.

PROS
He posts often and seems dedicated to the cause.

RATING
2/10

Tarantino
A creepy individual who in all likelihood keeps dossiers on anyone and everyone connected to Wikipedia and the various criticism platforms. I find it very easy to picture him as the kind of man who browses the internet with his trousers permanently down around his ankles.

CONS
Slimy in the extreme.

PROS
He does have an in-depth knowledge of Wikipedians and Wikipedia history, though I strongly suspect this is for voyeuristic purposes rather than any sort of commitment to HTD.

RATING
3/10

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:17 am

Here's a revised summary. I've taken BeetleJuice's advice and tweaked the Senior Critics a bit. I've also corrected Dysk's username. More to follow.

Senior Critics

Larry Sanger
RATING 9/10

Gregory Kohs
RATING 9/10

TDA
RATING 8/10

Eric Barbour
RATING 8/10

Mid-level Critics

Eric Corbett
RATING 7/10

Auggie
RATING 6/10

Carrite
RATING 6/10

Sashi / Bezdomi
RATING 6/10

Mr Lomax
RATING 5/10

Dysklyver
RATING 5/10

Junior Critics

Kumioko
RATING 4/10

Ritchie333
RATING 4/10

Vigilant
RATING 4/10

CrowsNest
RATING 4/10

Jake
RATING 3/10

Tarantino
RATING 3/10

Graaf Statler
RATING 3/10

Poetlister
RATING 2/10

Anyone
Sucks Critic

Post by Anyone » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:51 am

Time for another heavyweight.

Senior Critics

Andreas Kolbe
According to his academia.edu profile, Mr Andreas Kolbe is a co-founder of Wikipediocracy, former Editor in Chief of the Signpost and occasional freelance journalist for The Register. The gentleman has featured as a Wikipedia critic and commentator in The Washington Post, Newsweek, The Sunday Times, The Daily Telegraph, Salon, The Daily Dot, and many other leading publications. In 2018 he was one of the top writers on Quora.

http://independent.academia.edu/AndreasKolbe
https://www.theregister.co.uk/Author/Andreas-Kolbe/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/02/wikipedia-has-a-ton-of-money-so-why-is-it-begging-you-to-donate-yours/
https://www.quora.com/profile/Andreas-Kolbe

CONS
Unsavory appearance.

PROS
Wow! Where to start?

RATING
8/10