ArbCom elections 2019

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Carrite
Sucks Critic

Re: ArbCom elections 2019

Post by Carrite » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 am

KrakatoaKatie and Isarra are in today, running the total to 12 administrators in the race, by my count.

You're wrong again, Crow. You lose. Good thing you never put your small wallet where your big mouth is. That's very prudent of you, you flubsy fundused fluffy bunny...

RfB

P.S. Nope, Isarra isn't an Administrator. That's only 11 admins for 11 slots. Lucky for you, you pencil dicked bus stop lurker, I get to taunt you again tomorrow.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:13 am

Carrite wrote:KrakatoaKatie and Isarra are in today, running the total to 12 administrators in the race, by my count.

You're wrong again, Crow. You lose. Good thing you never put your small wallet where your big mouth is. That's very prudent of you, you flubsy fundused fluffy bunny...

RfB

P.S. Nope, Isarra isn't an Administrator. That's only 11 admins for 11 slots. Lucky for you, you pencil dicked bus stop lurker, I get to taunt you again tomorrow.

Well they still have to get elected. If they don't get enough votes, it doesn't matter if they are the only ones running.
#BbbGate

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 am

blahblahblah.

Okay, here's the Gadfium file. Yes he is a very boring New Zealander. And he's survived on WP since 2004 so he must be a master at playing their political game. So by definition he's not a very nice guy--especially if he's running for Arbcom.
Charles Truell

Better known as admin, deletionist and watcher of New Zealand politics articles Gadfium.

background

By his own admission, "over 50", former software developer for Binary Research, the original creator of Symantec/Norton Ghost. He appears repeatedly in Auckland Wikipedia meetup photos.[1][2][3][4][5]

WP history

Showed up March 2004, and started grinding on articles dealing with Mandriva Linux (which Truell had admitted to being interested in). He also created articles about Binary Research[6], Ghost[7], and Binary founder Murray Haszard[8]. So, some of his earliest edits were possible COI violations.

The first revision of his userpage said: "I'm a programmer working on the Ghost disk cloning program, in Auckland, New Zealand. I'm also a part-time student at Auckland University, a Chemistry major but currently taking a Biology stage I paper."

He was also quite the deletionist. It is no wonder his December 2004 RFA, a very early one, was successful. Apart from getting into AFD arguments and minor squabbles over New Zealand politics, Truett was a reasonably stable administrator. His name rarely appears in noticeboards, and he is not associated with any arbitrations or mediations to speak of.

In 2005 he nominated James "Grutness" Dignan for adminship. [9] Dignan later left Wikipedia in disgust over, as he put it, "it is now clearly one step forward, four or five steps back, with accompanying bitching, zealousness and self-glorifying bossiness".

In 2010 Truell became the "unofficial purifier" of the newly-created article about widely disliked right-wing blogger Cameron Slater. When a controversy started about a case involving NZ's "name suppression" law and Slater's criticism of same, Truell did the government's bidding -- by censoring the material from Wikipedia. He later performed other edits to keep the article "clean". [10][11][12][13]

Truell found his username in the New Zealand Herald 25 June 2012, for having blocked a user called "HenareT", who turned out to be MP Tau Henare trying to correct his own Wikipedia article. One side-result was this blog misidentifying him as George Stepanek. Written by John Creser, the guy who tried to defame Henare in the first place.

Truell became mired in an ugly July 2013 dispute over New Zealand Justice Minister Judith Collins, whose article was being attacked by an angry political foe, Roger "Offender9000" Brooking. It turned out that the Collins bio was being guarded by one Clarke43, an apparent paid editor. The result was newspaper coverage[14][15][16], followed by furious raging on Wikipedia and talk of "punishing" the New Zealand Herald, for daring to "out" a "Wikipedian". As discussed in this Wikipediocracy thread.

"A Wikipedia editor with the username Gadfium told Fairfax Media via email that Collins' office had been open about its contributions though they were told they should refrain from making further changes."
""They declared their conflict of interest and only edited the Judith Collins article to supply a requested photo," the editor said."

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:01 am

Kumioko wrote:
Carrite wrote:KrakatoaKatie and Isarra are in today, running the total to 12 administrators in the race, by my count.

RfB

Well they still have to get elected. If they don't get enough votes, it doesn't matter if they are the only ones running.

Wanna lay five bucks to charity on the proposition that all 11 seats are successfully filled?

I'll take "11 of 11," you get the under...

RfB

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:54 am

Tim: I'll bet you five dog-treats that I'm going to vote for Isarra (again).

(this requires me avoiding blocker-bots until the election, I think, so it's probably not a trivial bet)

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Carrite wrote:
Kumioko wrote:

RfB

Wanna lay five bucks to charity on the proposition that all 11 seats are successfully filled?

I'll take "11 of 11," you get the under...

RfB

Oh all 11 seats will get filled even if not all the candidates get elected. It's unlikely they wouldn't find someone willing to extend to cover the vacating seat.
#BbbGate

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:52 pm

RfB

:lol:

You sound desperate.

As I've already said, unless you want to look like this is more about your gambling addiction than your hope Wikipedia isn't on an inexorable death slide, then here's the current state of play....

For eleven seats, there are currently...

Four fresh faces that on first look might be viable candidates, putting aside all concerns for their philosophies and positions. At least two have said things in their actual candidate statements that are completely at odds with basic policy, but ho hum. Beggars can't be choosers. You want fresh blood, warm bodies to fill the seats of dead men, then here are your choices. All four of 'em.

Bradv
Rich wales
Gadfium
Lord Roem

Three tired old faces that qualify as viable candidates. Again, you vote for these not for their positions or philosophies, and again, it is remarkable how utterly at odds with Wikipedia policy some of their statements are. You want institutional memory or just people who know where the bathroom is, here they are, all three of 'em.

WormThatTurned
Cas Liber
Thryduulf

One token woman, currently already an Arbitrator, KrakatoaKatie, who is standing for a second consecutive term because she is a women, and wants to stop Wikipedians harassing women. You vote for her because you're not Eric Corbett, or maybe because you are, and you like seeing Wikipedia destroy the hopes and dreams of women.

Two candidates, Xeno and Fish and karate, who you absolutely wouldn't vote for because they don't really want the job. I mean, you can vote for them if you want, but if you do, you're an idiot. Other candidates, notably Katie, have already given you every reason you would ever need to not put your trust and faith in people who equivocate and caveat in their statements like these two have. You probably should also include Katie here, but she at least is man enough to say she wants to do it, and certainly doesn't want to drop out if others stand.

Two candidates, Hawkeye and Laser brain, you absolutely wouldn't vote for because they are just way too divisive, and I'm talking a step beyond even the divisiveness of others above who are well known for their partisan stances on issues that by rights, Arbitrators should be capable of viewing with a neutral eye. Hawkeye wouldn't be trusted to rule on anything, thanks in part to your scuzzy mates at Wikipediocracy. Laser brain shouldn't be trusted to rule on anything, because his statement reveals his opinion of himself is delusional.

You obviously don't vote for Barkeep49, because he has been an Administrator for all of two months.

You obviously don't vote for Isarra, not because they've not an Administrator, but because they're a joke candidate.

------

That's pretty pathetic. For voters who are not insane, I see only seven viable candidates and a token women, for eleven seats. And that's if you really don't care what their philosophies and positions are. As soon as you do, it's easy to see people only wanting to actually vote for around half that number, and pointlessly so, because the four they don't want could quite easily qualify for a seat anyway.

I can see the other two women currently on the Committee who are up for reelection seeing the sorry state of this state, particularly the sheer amount of sausage, and those aiming them who are proudly aiming their sausage meat squarely at the WMF and the traitors who think respect is equal to content, and throwing in their hats last minute. But that will be nothing to be proud of, since they will be clearly doing it for the wrong reasons.

Thirty six hours to find at least four candidates who a sane person could vote for, just to make this an election which is at least technically offering a choice, even if it is 1/12th of a choice. As anyone can see, you'd want at least fourteen more to make it an actual election that offers voters real choice about the things ArbCom will be ruling on.

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:58 am

Well, Crow, you really were right about everything... Self-governance is dead at Wikipedia. Nobody wants to serve on ArbCom. We have no choices, no need to bother with an election. Democracy is not a thing. The situation is indeed desperate...

You pathetic porta-potty pooper, you're so far out of your element every time you open up your mouth professing to be a prognosticator that it makes me snort beer bubbles out my nose...

I only wish you'd gamble with me every time I call bullshit on you. Kitties need to eat.

RfB

Carrite
Sucks Critic

Post by Carrite » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm

The 2019 Arbcom election is up to 22 candidates (19 Arbs), not counting the one Arb who stood down when it became clear that there were more than 11 solid candidates.

Just a friendly reminder that 19 > 12.

RfB