Monkey selfie again

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
badmachine
Sucker

Monkey selfie again

Post by badmachine » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:45 am

Can't find a date on this piece from South Wales Argus:

Once the case is finished, Mr Slater says he is aiming to take on internet giant Wikipedia for using and sharing his image without his permission.

Looks like it's going back to court on July 12.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Re: Monkey selfie again

Post by Mutineer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:05 pm

badmachine wrote:Can't find a date on this piece from South Wales Argus:

Once the case is finished, Mr Slater says he is aiming to take on internet giant Wikipedia for using and sharing his image without his permission.

Looks like it's going back to court on July 12.

It's recent, this year, current, but it irritates me when news sources don't date their stuff.

At his Facebook account Mr. Slater says he thinks this proceeding will be live-streamed, if anyone is available to figure out and monitor that.

He's pointed to the fact that Wikipedia lays responsibility (and pretty well arguably USA law does too) on its editors, but Wikipedia makes them hard to identify. Particularly in the case of administrators, whom Wikipedia falsely claimed it had "identified" for years, all the while doing the opposite.

It'll be quite some injustice to Slater if the case goes against him.
Attachments
slater - Copy.jpg
slater - Copy.jpg (80.33 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:27 pm

This report is dated July 2. He should know better than to announce something on Twitter....

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/153 ... ey_selfie/

Remember what a shitshow this was on Commons. The photo was repeatedly nominated for deletion and shitheads like Crisco 1492 showed up to scream KEEPKEEPKEEP. And an attempt to nominate it for "Featured Picture" failed, in spite of the screamers--specifically Yann Forget, Wiki fanboy and one of the earliest Commons users.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Comm ... _large.jpg

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:33 pm

....aand I'm back.

The "monkey selfie" going to trial is the dumbest thing yet.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:44 am

Hollywood Reporter has a detailed article on the "Monkey Selfie" (it's a black macaque) appeals court case here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-es ... ng-1020376. Complete with link to Youtube video of the proceedings.

I gather the court is very skeptical of the notion that a non-human can own copyright unless Congress spells that out for them a bit better.
I am "Modsquad" here, and participate, but I don't want you to think we can't have an angry argument.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, apparently this has nothing to do with the WMF, so I gather Slater has given up on reasoning with the WMF.

This new case is being filed by PETA "on behalf of the monkey" or some insanity like that. Blecch.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 am

ericbarbour wrote:Yeah, apparently this has nothing to do with the WMF, so I gather Slater has given up on reasoning with the WMF.

This new case is being filed by PETA "on behalf of the monkey" or some insanity like that. Blecch.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

It's a stunt. Even if animals had citizenship, the black macaque isn't American, the camera wasn't his/hers, the monkey did not upload the image to the internet.

Mutineer
Sucks Fan

Post by Mutineer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:26 pm

An account of David Slater's monkey selfie odyssey appeared on The Daily Mail's website today. There's a lot of viewers there. Slater has claimed, basically, that the Wikimedia Foundation has ruined him financially. What it did of course was steal his iconic photo of the black macaque. Under its guise of a charity that can't be held accountable for anything Wikipedia editors do. All the while taking donations that amount to more than quite a bit of money, and I wonder if now it's also selling cookie data too.

Some Slater quotes from the article:

"I suffer depression and can't sleep. But most of all it's the sense of failure. I can't provide for my family."

"My daughter tells everyone her daddy took the monkey selfie, but I've got nothing to give her from it. I can't send her to the school we want, or even think about paying her university fees when the time comes. And all could have been sorted out with one photograph."

"The magic's gone. I get my camera out every now and again to try to recapture the joy, but I don't seem able to. This was my livelihood."

Here's the link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4719674/Wildlife-photographer-says-famous-monkey-selfie-ruined-him.html

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:12 pm

That is so depressing. At that Wikimania in the UK Wales and a load of power users and WMF staff mugged for the camera with Slater's photo. This is unconscionable.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 am

Flip Flopped wrote:That is so depressing. At that Wikimania in the UK Wales and a load of power users and WMF staff mugged for the camera with Slater's photo. This is unconscionable.

And here is the PETA lawyer's argument: http://www.alternet.org/environment/yes ... lfie-video