The catch-22 situation of a banned user.

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

The catch-22 situation of a banned user.

Post by CMAwatch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:37 pm

A banned user is usually in a stigmatized position, thus unable to prove his own innocence and a misjudgement of a moderator/administrator, without inevitably evading his ban.

Very interesting read: https://poal.co/s/ModAbuse/120473.
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: The catch-22 situation of a banned user.

Post by Abd » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:57 pm

A banned user is not a criminal and is not ordinarily subject to any consequential harm. There is no need to "prove" anything. Wikipedia, to the extent that it cares (which is unclear in practice) has set up appeal procedures. But a banned user is freed to dispute the legitimacy of a ban in public media, or privately. Most do a terrible job. Mostly, the public doesn't care. Improper bans can damage site neutrality, but, again, who actually cares?

Wikipedians who care have found that if they protest admin abuse, they are likely to be banned themselves. The smart ones consider that an improvement over remaining silent to protect an account that only creates more opportunities for frustration.

If the cause is knowledge, there are far better ways to serve that cause than pushing the Sisyphean boulder up the hill. There are many sites that invite participation, there are sites that need people to become involved and even to assist with administration. It is possible to write for publication in reliable sources, to genuinely contribute to human knowledge, I've done it. To actually be banned on Wikipedia was a tremendous relief, and the time freed up was far better invested elsewhere, building content of value to myself and others. And my expenses have been paid!

If I were unbanned from WMF servers, I still would be unlikely to make more than an occasional edit. It is not a safe place to build content. By design.

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Re: The catch-22 situation of a banned user.

Post by CMAwatch » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Abd wrote:If I were unbanned from WMF servers, I still would be unlikely to make more than an occasional edit. It is not a safe place to build content. By design.

Absolutely right.

Handroid7 put alot of work into draft articles (maybe he has saved them locally, I don't know), but Bbb23 apparently doesn't mind mass-destroying legitimate works and knowledge shared by someone.
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.