Evil!!!

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Carrite
Sucks Critic

Re: Evil!!!

Post by Carrite » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:13 am

Surely you are of such an age, and capable enough of reading, to realize that "boss" is being used as an adjective.

Enjoyed the 700 word reply.

tim

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:09 pm

This is hanging on by the thinnest possible thread of relevance. Yes, I missed the usage of "boss," but the subject here is the cause of millions of deaths per year, hatred, the most common word today for "evil," so this trolling is like attacking an essay exposing hatred in intense action because of a spelling error.

Carrite is clearly an EVilgent enabler, encouraging him (possibly because EVilgent then lightens up on him). There are others, but one step at a time.

There are what I've called in the past "difficult issues," which are avoided for that reason, so the infection festers and spreads. And it takes much discussion to find reality and consensus underneath these, and "wiki" hates deep discussion. And there goes the project.

And I thought GenderDesk was boss, also, and wrote as such, many times. Well, entropy and burnout.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:54 am

maybe this should be merged with another of our (copious) Vigilant threads?

And btw Tim, Abd did not copy my slur. You are welcome to use the word "Vigina" freely at no charge and no obligation. (Just don't make any damned excuses for Vigilant--he can come in here and do his own excusing.)

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm

I'd vastly prefer subthreads, which with the primitive software here would require a forum, essentially, on EVilgent. I think the issues raised are worthy of that, but it's not my call. Some of the threads could certainly be merged, but, for example, the topic here is not Evilgent, but Evil. He's just a present example, and other examples certainly exist, all through history.

As a fictional one, the Witchsmeller Pursuivant, or historically, witch-hunters who attacked anyone who "defended witches," since obviously anyone who "defends a witch" must be evil. If nothing else, they are "enabling witchcraft."

suckadmin
Janitor

Post by suckadmin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 pm

Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm
I'd vastly prefer subthreads, which with the primitive software here would require a forum, essentially, on EVilgent. I think the issues raised are worthy of that, but it's not my call. Some of the threads could certainly be merged, but, for example, the topic here is not Evilgent, but Evil. He's just a present example, and other examples certainly exist, all through history.
It has crossed my mind to create a sub forum for vigilant but imo that is giving way too much attention to the troll.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:57 pm

No surprise, Evilgent quoted the last two paragraphs of this post -- which is quite general, about many situations -- claiming that this was making his "mocking your idiocy" equivalent to "the brownshirts taking you away." No, the analogy was to passing by injustice, remaining "neutral," in reference to EVilgent's own tag line from Dante. The occasion is obviously far smaller, but the remedy also far easier than confronting the brownshirts. He is carrying on a conversation with me on Wikipediocracy, where I'm banned, due to confronting him, years ago. (And by the way, one can confront known injustice while remaining neutral on what is unknown. Linkage is a characteristic of hatred.)
suckadmin wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 pm
Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 pm
It has crossed my mind to create a sub forum for vigilant but imo that is giving way too much attention to the troll.
I understand the thinking, but this misses -- entirely -- the community responsibility referenced, so long ago, by [[meatball:DefendEachOther]]. Trolls can and have moved entire communities when they keyed into knee-jerk responses, as this troll does. Wikipediocracy has long been dominated by him. I was banned there, I'm pretty sure, because I confronted him there, over much the same as he has continued to do -- and still continues to do.

Now, being banned on WPO was a relief, but ... the basic principle still remains, community responsibility to defend members from attack.

If nobody were paying attention to the troll, if the troll were being blocked for trolling, yes, RBI and DNFTT.

But when a segment of the community is lapping it up and spreading it? At this point, the EVilgent's Dante quote becomes relevant, the same as DefendEachOther:
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis. -Dante Alighieri
It is unfashionable to believe in hell, but I read all the classic references to hell as metaphor for a real human phenomenon, and the gloss fits like a glove.

Who are those people? In the budding Nazi Germany, they were the ordinary people who stood by while others were harassed and worse. And yes, life tests us. They were also the non-Nazi activists, often "good people" with "good ideas" who fought each other instead of cooperating to crucial ends, and this all is relevant to present U.S. politics. Hitler was elected because of majority failure, because not only of defective election methods (quite the same as we have in the U.S.) but because of failure to cooperate to unite against genuine evil, i.e., hatred, populist poison.

In our field, they are the ordinary wiki users who step aside and pay no attention to central process and abuse, because they can work in their own areas of interest. They think, -- until the jackboots come for them, and there is nobody left to defend them, because anyone who defends (pointing to fact) has been attacked, not defended, and banned. Sure, dramatic. But quite realistic as well.