Wikipediareview.com down (back up by March 4 2020)

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Abd
Sucks Warrior

Wikipediareview.com down (back up by March 4 2020)

Post by Abd » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 pm

I think it's been down for at least a week. There is a lot of intense history there, such as the ArbCom email leak.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Re: Wikipediareview.com down

Post by Abd » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:33 pm

This is Somey's handiwork (Midsize Jake, controlling both Wikipedia Review and Wikipediocracy).

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:59 am

There's no way to verify this anyway--whoever controls the DNS had it anonymized years ago. Amazing it lasted as long as it did.

Archive.org is not reliable. There are only certain random-looking captures of individual threads in there, for some obscure reason. Go back to pre-2012 captures and try to call up threads. For example, I had completely forgotten about this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110529061 ... opic=33777

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:25 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:59 am
There's no way to verify this anyway--whoever controls the DNS had it anonymized years ago. Amazing it lasted as long as it did.
Somey continued to function as staff, so he would know, so I'm declaring him responsible. He could open up and disclose the reality if he chooses. Real issue: who had full access, including archiving tools?
Archive.org is not reliable. There are only certain random-looking captures of individual threads in there, for some obscure reason. Go back to pre-2012 captures and try to call up threads. For example, I had completely forgotten about this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110529061 ... opic=33777
Very, very nice. I see I laid out a reform plan there. People believed it was impossible, and reform is impossible if people believe it is impossible. The plan started with two people. My slogan back then: "How many people does it take to change the world?"

Two. Finding two willing to commit, willing to work for it (even if it is only to find a third), that's what is really difficult.

I concluded (pre-Wikipedia!) that the real problem was entrenched despair. Nobody believes that change is possible, so we will not work for it, we don't want to be disappointed. Pass the potato chips.

Reddit is better than is presented. Yes, mods can be tin pot dictators over their sub. But anyone can start a sub. All that is owned by the mod, though, is the exact title. It's a rough community at times, many mods are inactive and trolls can flood subs and harass. Vide u/WOVigilant.

As well, massive Smith brother socking, Very slow or non-existent response. But Reddit is what it is. It is a tool that can be used.

Quora is a far more satisfying place to write, I've found. And one can control one's feed, so that good material is regularly presented and junk can be more readily ignored. There is a lot of junk, but so what?

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:31 am

Funny that we just mentioned Reddit. I was just temporarily banned from a sub there today. Classic. Inattentive moderators can be led by the nose by trolls. Trolls do this because it works. Throw enough dirt, some sticks. All that has really happened is that a popular user -- people asking questions appreciate detailed answers -- has been shut out, and will start his own damned sub. Reddit is designed to allow that. That's why mods can be utterly arbitrary. Meanwhile, the gloating was immediate. Since vilignat tracks my posts, and I hadn't posted about this, he must have been involved, closely watching.

This is OT here, so I'll just give the link to my copy of his post. That WPO thread about Sucks and me just went over 200 posts. Plus, of course, Vilignat's 200-trollposts-strong campaign since the end of last year on Reddit. And they think we are obsessed if we have a handful of threads.

Ah, and he also thinks your book material is a waste of time. Is it?

(For others, he is referring to this page about Merkey (which, except for a dislaimer at the top, is just the material I received, formatted for the wiki) and then more commentary on the attached Talk page.

Zoloft also shows his colors. Ah, well, I have cold fusion work to do.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:00 pm

WikipediaReview is back up.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Wikipediareview.com down (back up by March 4 2020)

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:28 pm

If I see my old train topic has 5220 hits and other often have hardly hits seems it to me the time of this kind of wiki fora is over Abd.
Zoloft not long ago wrote on WO your Reddit slap fight topic of Vig on WO had only about 20 visitors at the end.

We need Crow in a new setting back. And I really hope you stop dumping all kind of things about other internet spots here, because the old RW is all history, most of users who have left for years, Abd.
No one is interested in that old stuff anymore.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:09 am

To bad they set the site to not allow any of the major email providers. Gmail isn't allowed? Are they trying to make themselves useless?
#BbbGate

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:39 am

Why don't you send Abd a PM? :mrgreen:

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:48 am

Why don't you send Abd a PM? :mrgreen:
Abd wrote:never mind. Respond or PM me if anyone is watching.