2010 AskReddit thread asking for Wikipedia donations

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

2010 AskReddit thread asking for Wikipedia donations

Post by CMAwatch » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm

r/AskReddit • u/[deleted] • 9y

I know we're all making fun of Jimmy Wales' creepy stare on Wikipedia. But seriously... have you donated?
Wikipedia is fucking fantastic. Go donate a few bucks if you haven't already. Most of us use it several times a day, and I think it's reasonable that they ask for our donations once a year.

I'm sorry that this post isn't exactly "AskReddit" material, but I think this subreddit is where it'll get the most attention. This is really important. Seriously, can you imagine the internet without wikipedia?

As I'm a poor college student, I was only able to afford $20 this year. But if everyone who reads this matches my donation, that should raise a significant amount of money, enough to ensure that Wikipedia can keep their site running free of charge and completely ad-free, at least for another year. I've donated a lot of money to them in the past, because without Wikipedia I would have failed half of my classes, and I would know a lot less than I do now.

One comment says:
I disapprove of the deletionism on Wikipedia
#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: 2010 AskReddit thread asking for Wikipedia donations

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 pm

CMAwatch wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm
I disapprove of the deletionism on Wikipedia
FWIW I attempted to gather examples of people complaining about WP's crazy operations, and gave up. Too many to choose from. On Reddit, Slashdot, Twitter, Facebook, you name it. They were very scarce until around 2009-2010 when Wikipedia's editing decline and its control by wacked-out deletionist patrollers became impossible to ignore.

(Any attempt to post criticism of Wikipedia on Quora quickly disappears. Because Jimbo was a co-founder. That little fuck is guilty of unknown thousands of censorship attempts--against anyone critiquing him or his "creation". Lol.)
articlecreationsubseditgraph.png
articlecreationsubseditgraph.png (83.33 KiB) Viewed 4046 times

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:05 pm
Because Jimbo was a co-founder.

I thought that guy from Alabama was just investor?
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote:
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:20 am

CMAwatch wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Wait a minute. Did you not realize that a) Wales was one of the founders of Wikipedia AND of the WMF, and b) in 2006 he tried to write Larry Sanger, one of the OTHER co-founders, out of wikipedia's history, and make HIMSELF the only founder? Do I need to post the "Jimbo Found Out" transcript?

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:46 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:20 am
CMAwatch wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Wait a minute. Did you not realize that a) Wales was one of the founders of Wikipedia AND of the WMF, and b) in 2006 he tried to write Larry Sanger, one of the OTHER co-founders, out of wikipedia's history, and make HIMSELF the only founder? Do I need to post the "Jimbo Found Out" transcript?
Cracks are showing. Jimbo and criticism does not mix well… :?
#BbbGate
ericbarbour wrote:

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:53 pm

CMAwatch wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:10 pm
r/AskReddit • u/[deleted] • 9y

I know we're all making fun of Jimmy Wales' creepy stare on Wikipedia. But seriously... have you donated?
Wikipedia is fucking fantastic. Go donate a few bucks if you haven't already. Most of us use it several times a day, and I think it's reasonable that they ask for our donations once a year.

I'm sorry that this post isn't exactly "AskReddit" material, but I think this subreddit is where it'll get the most attention. This is really important. Seriously, can you imagine the internet without wikipedia?

As I'm a poor college student, I was only able to afford $20 this year. But if everyone who reads this matches my donation, that should raise a significant amount of money, enough to ensure that Wikipedia can keep their site running free of charge and completely ad-free, at least for another year. I've donated a lot of money to them in the past, because without Wikipedia I would have failed half of my classes, and I would know a lot less than I do now.
Hm, Posted by u/bricker, who deactivated between June 9 2011 and Aug 9 2011. This person lived next door to Boston Symphony Orchestra for a time and is likely to be around 30 years old.

(trimmed second part of OP for clarity)

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:25 pm

badmachine wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:53 pm
Hm, Posted by u/bricker, who deactivated between June 9 2011 and Aug 9 2011. This person lived next door to Boston Symphony Orchestra for a time and is likely to be around 30 years old.
Not an unusual comment for a "poor college student" to post. Millennials really swallowed the Wiki-Redpill hard. And I suspect the "Gen Z" coming up behind them is even more clueless. The millennials are having "Generation Alpha" children now--god knows what THEY will think of Wikipedia in 10-20 years. Don't make any sucker bets.....