The WMF starts CHARGING MONEY for its "service"

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

The WMF starts CHARGING MONEY for its "service"

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:14 pm

10+ years ago I predicted this would happen. They would become REALLY desperate to keep growing--and start sending bills to their biggest scrapers.

https://www.wired.com/story/wikipedia-f ... to-pay-up/
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/16/2233 ... edge-boxes
The Wikimedia Foundation is creating a new paid service for companies that draw on Wikipedia data. The foundation announced the news today via an article in Wired, and it’s planning to launch later in 2021. Wikimedia Enterprise, as it’s called, won’t change how current Wikipedia services work. Instead, it will offer new options for companies that use its content, a category including giants like Google and Facebook.
And I will put down $100 that says some little shits at Google and FB are already harassing WMF management for "daring" to charge more money for extra access. (BTW, I also will bet you this "special API extension" will make it easier for those corporations to manicure their own WP content.)

Plus this at the end.
“We’re going to need more resources, more partners, and more allies if we are going to achieve the goals implicit in our vision statement.” And starting later this year, that could include paid partnerships with the internet’s biggest companies.
I give it 5 years before they start running third-party advertising.

https://news.slashdot.org/story/21/03/1 ... -to-pay-up
As usual, Slashdot nerds still think it's a-okay. With exceptions.
It is an excellent starting point for almost any research. It does have pretty good standards and editing pages is not hard if you know most of the rules. As an engineering it is just as accurate as most text books and better than most published papers. I don't care if they are sitting on hundreds of millions of dollars, I still donate and feel I get my value out of my donations. They are a free resource. If I donate my time to a page I expect them to be free for everyone. I do not think they should be charging google for my work. That wasn't the deal when I did the volunteer work.
Plus, its "odd" how Maher put in her notice, and a few weeks later this scheme starts making the rounds. I wonder if she opposed it and the board told her to take a hike? "We need MOAR $$$, we have to KEEP GROWING OR DIE" etc.

badmachine
Sucker

Re: The WMF starts CHARGING MONEY for its "service"

Post by badmachine » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 am

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise wrote:The full corpus of Wikimedia content always has been, and will continue to be, made available for reuse in various forms (including but not limited to database dumps, APIs, and scraping) at no cost.
i wonder what's stopping someone who would use this service from using an API on a copy of "the full corpus" of Wikipedia via the database dumps. i mean what's stopping Amazon, Google, Yahoo etcetera from downloading a dump and using an API on that?

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:46 pm

badmachine wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 am
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Enterprise wrote:The full corpus of Wikimedia content always has been, and will continue to be, made available for reuse in various forms (including but not limited to database dumps, APIs, and scraping) at no cost.
i wonder what's stopping someone who would use this service from using an API on a copy of "the full corpus" of Wikipedia via the database dumps. i mean what's stopping Amazon, Google, Yahoo etcetera from downloading a dump and using an API on that?
Probably because of real-time updates. Most of us are probably aware that WP:NOTNEWS is not only not enforced, but is effectively the opposite of de facto policy.

Since data dumps are only updated monthly or bimonthly, they would be useful for real-time events and news, which I imagine would make up a significant amount of their traffic.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Email: wikipediasucks@disroot.org

Petition to ban Bbb23Wikipedia AlternativeDonate to help French strikers

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks Fan

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:16 pm

Instead of blocking people for minor, ridiculous things, they could raise money imposing a fine. A fine for blasphemy, etc.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:41 pm

SkepticalHistorian wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:16 pm
Instead of blocking people for minor, ridiculous things, they could raise money imposing a fine. A fine for blasphemy, etc.
Believe me....they would, if they could reliably force money out of blocked editors. Be happy they don't have a "special government dispensation" to make money and be a monopoly, like Major League Baseball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_B ... nal_League

account
Sucks Noob

Post by account » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:45 pm

they should start blackmailing people for money

"you're getting banned kiddo if you don't pay up"

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:07 pm

account wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:45 pm
they should start blackmailing people for money

"you're getting banned kiddo if you don't pay up"
I think it probably be implemented as payed unbans.

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks Fan

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:58 am

Haha, I made a good faith donation to the Wikimedia Foundation of $6.66 with a promise to donate more and leave a legacy if they unblock me!

Did I just dox myself?

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:39 am

Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:58 am
Haha, I made a good faith donation to the Wikimedia Foundation of $6.66 with a promise to donate more and leave a legacy if they unblock me!

Did I just dox myself?
Maybe they could set up a referral program. Manipulate three elderly people into giving their wills to the WMF and they'll unblock you. Ten and they'll make you an admin.