Aiki Wiki, Wikipedia We Have a Problem update

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Aiki Wiki, Wikipedia We Have a Problem update

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:10 am

WWHP wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:54 am
I'm not sure. As a technologist myself, a designer, it is easy to see the appeal around various innovations of the blockchain, independent of any particular tokens and its sad to see innovation become a politicized argument.
Blockchain schemes have legitimate applications, I'm simply not convinced that a general cryptocurrency is one of them. The longer the Bitcoin chain gets, the more server capacity and electric power it consumes. And because greedy people saw a "goldrush" and have been generating more and more mining activity, that uses even more power. The network capacity used by streaming video, which was always a major capacity problem before, is only a tiny fraction of what cryptocurrencies now consume.
https://www.thebalance.com/how-much-pow ... use-391280

Don't forget that the public Internet suffered from many outages in its first few years because of exponential traffic growth. There used to be a few blogs that kept track of major outages; they all seem to have disappeared. I'm guessing that people in the industry don't like to be reminded of their problems, even from the historical perspective.

The network only managed to outgrow the traffic in the 1990s because investors were pouring hundreds of billions of dollars into it, so the infrastructure was eventually upgraded to match. That slowed in 2001-2002 when the dotcom crash occurred. Since then giant firms like Google, Amazon and Facebook have added more infrastructure to improve the whole network. And especially to handle their own traffic--YouTube by itself is a tremendous consumer of capacity. Some of the largest server centers on earth were paid for by Google specifically to handle YT. Plus, nearly all long-distance telephone traffic is now on the public TCP/IP network.

It remains to be seen if the internet can keep up with the demand for crypto transactions and mining. It could easily dwarf the capacity demands of the other services. We just don't know and will have to learn the limits the "hard way".
He wants to be taken seriously as a crypto critic and journalist.
And he has failed at all of the above. Gerard is not even a "good Wikipedian" by any measure. Being a flat-out internet troll, he's only in it for the "lulz". Doesn't give a damn about a "career" or about making the internet "better". David has only one real solid thing going for him, which might not be enough: Jimbo likes him. If they can toss out Fred Bauder, Gerard could easily be next, and he has no one to blame but Jimbo and himself--for building out a dysfunctional community run by anonymous crazy people. I'm betting the current crop is crazier than Gerard.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Don't forget that the public Internet suffered from many outages in its first few years because of exponential traffic growth. There used to be a few blogs that kept track of major outages; they all seem to have disappeared. I'm guessing that people in the industry don't like to be reminded of their problems, even from the historical perspective.

The network only managed to outgrow the traffic in the 1990s because investors were pouring hundreds of billions of dollars into it, so the infrastructure was eventually upgraded to match. That slowed in 2001-2002 when the dotcom crash occurred. Since then giant firms like Google, Amazon and Facebook have added more infrastructure to improve the whole network. And especially to handle their own traffic--YouTube by itself is a tremendous consumer of capacity. Some of the largest server centers on earth were paid for by Google specifically to handle YT. Plus, nearly all long-distance telephone traffic is now on the public TCP/IP network.
Back then (circa 1994-99) telecoms dumped loads into building fiber optic networks with what was then considered "overkill" capacity but the demands of streaming video proved them right, and they had to bulk it up even more. Other countries did not treat the Internet as an extension of the phone system, especially Asian ones, and used cable TV as a model for infrastructure, running separate cables through walls, which is why South Korea has Internet that would set US equipment on fire, it runs that fast. We came up with the Internet and then fucked it up, is what I'm trying to get across.
......Gerard is not even a "good Wikipedian" by any measure. Being a flat-out internet troll, he's only in it for the "lulz". Doesn't give a damn about a "career" or about making the internet "better". David has only one real solid thing going for him, which might not be enough: Jimbo likes him. If they can toss out Fred Bauder, Gerard could easily be next, and he has no one to blame but Jimbo and himself--for building out a dysfunctional community run by anonymous crazy people. I'm betting the current crop is crazier than Gerard.
He's also got RationalWiki, for whatever little that's worth.....because it's daisychained to en.Wikipedia. You are only on RationalWiki because their article on Ted Serios wasn't "harsh enough" for your taste, so you cast around the internet and certain books and copy or copypaste their debunking theories* into the RW Serios article, or you just belittle Serios all the way through, and all your links are off or rotted. Wikipedia is the Titanic sinking in slow motion, RationalWiki is the 15 foot skiff with the bad glue job that is constantly being sumped out by the sole man on board.

* Serios is the "thoughtography" guy from the mid-1960s, who could produce blurry images on Eastman Land cameras (some missing the lens) under controlled conditions. Skeptics make a lot of hay over the fact that Serios was a unemployed (?) bellhop and a drunk, but Jule Eisenbud (the psychologist who studied Serios) was well aware of that; Serios told him that it helped the phenomena (i.e., transferring a mental image onto film stock by just touching the camera) work. An episode of In Search of.... had rare kinescope of Serios doing the "trick" on a live TV camera, the images appeared on the palm of his hand because he was cupping his hand over the lens. As far as I know Serios never made any real money from the phenomena, which faded away (and skeptics use that against him as well.)

A university digital collection of Serios photos, all monochrome: https://cdm16629.contentdm.oclc.org/dig ... n/Eisenbud
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

WWHP
Sucks

Post by WWHP » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 am

Heya ol pals.

Putting this here for prosperity's sake. Someone at RationalWiki put "Rome Viharo" article page up for a deletion, and I was even invited to post.

is it going to come down? Probably not, but at least they are in a bind.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/RationalW ... ome_Viharo

Hope all is well with everyone, and did I read that right? WikiMedia Foundation wants to join the UN? Is anyone aware of the sheer risk of MediaWiki Software????? :cry:

Cheers!
Rome

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 pm

WWHP wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 am
Putting this here for prosperity's sake. Someone at RationalWiki put "Rome Viharo" article page up for a deletion, and I was even invited to post.
is it going to come down? Probably not, but at least they are in a bind.
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/RationalW ... ome_Viharo
Good luck. And you realize that nearly all of the posters there are sockpuppet accounts? RW is still not an "informational" wiki. It is still a place for assholes to defame anyone they don't like for political reasons. Really not much different from Encyclopedia Dramatica, just trying to look "more serious".

Which reminds me--need to save Dysklyver's comments about being an RW trustee. He saw it from the inside and was really disgusted with how it "operates". And then, "how dare he try to push out Oliver Smith and Abd without OUR permission?!?!?!" and thus he was shown the door. Inevitable.
WikiMedia Foundation wants to join the UN? Is anyone aware of the sheer risk of MediaWiki Software????? :cry:
Yes, got a thread about it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2504
They got "observer status" to one obscure committee. And bragged.

WWHP
Sucks

Post by WWHP » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:40 am

hiya Eric and Strelnikov and other folks! Just checking in for update. I must say this place seems a lot more lively than I remember!

Is there any hope in the air for Wikipedia with the advance of GPT? Is something different in the air these days with WikiMedia?

Some here may care a little about Aiki Wiki, which not only will be launching with GPT4 capabilities, but our pilot will be up and running in about a month or so, while the full GPT for conflict resolution is about four months out.

We have a really good demo and walkthrough https://aikiwiki.com/

I'll check back in when we launch for those who want to pilot.

Cheers!

Rome

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:50 am

There are some potential replacements now, such as Justapedia and Botipedia, which might be interested in your algorithm. After all Wikipedia is now embroiled in a Holocaust distortion scandal which could see it disgraced for good.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:18 am

WWHP wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:40 am
hiya Eric and Strelnikov and other folks! Just checking in for update. I must say this place seems a lot more lively than I remember!
Thank the Wikipedans, for making new enemies every day.
Is there any hope in the air for Wikipedia with the advance of GPT? Is something different in the air these days with WikiMedia?
I serously doubt GPT or any other machine learning thing will help WP or the WMF with their problems. Because they ARE the problem. But that hasn't stopped Jimbo-Dimbo from bringing it up.
Some here may care a little about Aiki Wiki, which not only will be launching with GPT4 capabilities, but our pilot will be up and running in about a month or so, while the full GPT for conflict resolution is about four months out.
Yes, please keep this forum apprised of how it goes. I will send you a couple of prospective new users if you like.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:47 pm

WWHP wrote:

Cheers!

Rome
Please add a left-margin to your site, there is literally zero gap between the text and the left of the screen. Otherwise, good job!
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Email: wikipediasucks@disroot.org

Petition to ban Bbb23Wikipedia AlternativeDonate to help French strikers

WWHP
Sucks

Post by WWHP » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:21 am

Hiya BBb23, were you on a mobile device or desktop? thanks for feedback!

Bbb23sucks wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:47 pm
WWHP wrote:

Cheers!

Rome
Please add a left-margin to your site, there is literally zero gap between the text and the left of the screen. Otherwise, good job!