Wikimedia Enterprise AP v 230

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Daniel Brandt
Sucks

Re: Wikimedia Enterprise AP v 230

Post by Daniel Brandt » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:47 pm

> wexter said:
> "If you developed your own API against Wikipedia and then sold the tool or the data-result; you would be dragged into a court ASAP."

I agree -- Wikipedia would be stupid enough to try and haul you into court. If Wikipedia was smarter, they'd merely block you from accessing Wikipedia by black-listing your IP addresses. That's what happened to Scroogle. I had six servers that I leased, and served up Google results from 2004 through 2011. Google finally squeezed Scroogle offline by blocking my servers, even though I was randomly selecting from thousands of Google IP addresses in order to provide the Google results to queries from Scroogle users. Scroogle was a certified tax-exempt nonprofit, free for use by everyone and anyone. I was using SSL before Google was, but in 2013 Edward Snowden got everyone's attention and Google converted to SSL soon thereafter.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Daniel Brandt wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:47 pm
> wexter said:
> "If you developed your own API against Wikipedia and then sold the tool or the data-result; you would be dragged into a court ASAP."

I agree -- Wikipedia would be stupid enough to try and haul you into court. If Wikipedia was smarter, they'd merely block you from accessing Wikipedia by black-listing your IP addresses.
They would try BOTH, at first. And OF COURSE "Wikipedians" would not sue anyone, because they don't never pay for nothin'.

The sequence of events is predictable: The little wikibastards will send PMs to Jimbo whining that it's "bad for The Movement". Jimbo will send angry messages to WMF's board, and then POOF LIKE MAGIC the WMF's legal department will put the whole staff on the case. And they will subsequently put out the usual snivelling press release quoting JIMBO IZ GOD's blubberings and so forth. They pulled identical tricks over SOPA/PIPA, which succeeded, and in their lawsuit against the NSA, which failed horribly. Not to mention all the people who have tried to sue the WMF and been laughed out of court thanks to Section 230.

What a crude Stalinistic operation they have. I keep forgetting to joke that "The Movement" sounds like an especially painful bowel movement.

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:58 am

Scroogle
Good, and good to know that you were doing something positive and meaningful to protect the public from our "electronic overlords."
In our highlander faux-economy, there can be only one! Google Wikipedia etc Unless you want to go dumber and dumber e.g. from a few characters on twitter to a few inane video snippets in tik tok. In that regard the movie Idiocracy was precisant.

Everything these days goes to extremes; those extremes (Google as the only real search engine, Wikipedia the only game in town, and the combination of the two; globally integrated supply chains v loss of globalization) are only addressed with meaningless-incrementalism.

I think we are in for some exciting times in the near future.

The financial world looks like it is no longer in a "Solid state"
The physical world looks like it will become less integrated, less assured
---The virtual world may be less important in either case - above

And the political world looks to oscillate between populist right and then populist left extremes (in that order)
---Section 230 might get swept up in one of those political oscillations
---I doubt anything will be solved.

"information" or the ability to shape perception - folks can be convinced to believe anything!
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:06 am

Well, kiddies, Wikimedia Enterprise has their first paying customer: Google. Predictably.

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/22/2317 ... nformation
While the Wikimedia Foundation will obviously get some money from running Enterprise, the organization expects its service to only make up “a small portion” of its revenue.
blah blah blah