Blog post on YouTube politics

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Blog post on YouTube politics

Post by Strelnikov » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:54 am

One of those "Stuff that has nothing to do with Wikipedia" posts, except that a lot of the people mentioned either had Wiki articles which were removed for "lack of noteworthiness" or articles which were slightly out of date so I either used the Jimbo's Jungle Annex (RationalWiki) or good old Encyclopedia Dramatica as "proof" for things.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Username5
Sucks Noob

Re: Blog post on YouTube politics

Post by Username5 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Strelnikov wrote:One of those "Stuff that has nothing to do with Wikipedia" posts, except that a lot of the people mentioned either had Wiki articles which were removed for "lack of noteworthiness" or articles which were slightly out of date so I either used the Jimbo's Jungle Annex (RationalWiki) or good old Encyclopedia Dramatica as "proof" for things.
"Nothing to do with Wikipedia" and "proved" from RW and ED. Does this mean Wikipedia is certifiably "dead" ?

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am

It's nice to have a record of YouTube ephemera and how it relates to politics and religion in America.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:23 pm

Here is an addendum to the YouTube post.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:23 am

I only brought up the people in detail that I had watched and noticed changes in their shtik, but I mentioned douchebags like "Mr." Metokur and Sargon the Confused Git because they are big right now. What is really sad is that VenomFangX is still trying to be some kind of preacherman on video even though he has no ordination nor divinity school diploma to my knowledge, and he is marked as a scammer/online manipulator for his DMCA takedown stunts; That Guy With the Glasses/Channel Awesome is still trying to be this "talent incubator" for YT reviewer people, but that ship has sailed....Felix "PewDiePie" Kjellberg became the "face" of YouTube because zillions of young gamer idiots liked his game footage videos where he just plays a video game and runs his mouth - he became their older gamer brother that they watched over his virtual shoulder playing these games that they would rent from the GameStop after watching him beat them. And he became a millionaire doing that, and now he is wrecking his own standing by doing stupid stuff - people on this board should know he is one of those "walkaway" dropouts from a business degree at a Swedish university, the subject bored him so much that he would rather risk it all in something else, and that something else was his YT channel. When PewDiePie is dethroned, we will never see another dude get that wealthy off YouTube again, because it was right place-right time.

.....Whine and moar whine.

Yes, because everybody with a face online has a detractor, that and there is a lot of dramah because the stakes are low; it's extremely hard to go from Internet fame to real-world fame...hell, people who create shows who get found through their online work ditch the Internet ASAP - Daniel Chong, creator of the new hit Cartoon Network show We Bare Bears stopped working on the prototype for the show, a webcomic called The Three Bare Bears in 2011 and the show began appearing on CN in 2015. I've noticed that it takes them about two or three years to go from first pitch with character sketches to a series of 11 minute cartoons; the freak is Ian Jones-Quartey's O.K., K.O.! Let's be Heroes! which took somewhere around four years to get off the ground because the network didn't like the two mini-pilots they did and the name changed from Lakewood Plaza Turbo (the name of the small strip mall the show is set in). And Jones-Quartey worked on Steven Universe before he submitted the pitch for his show, so he wasn't a untried animator/creator/storyboard artist. Getting back to the whining, Ian Jones-Quartey takes crap from the Twittersphere (another monster I need to write about) because his girlfriend is Rebecca Sugar, creator/showrunner/storyboard artist of Steven Universe and the main character of his show resembles hers (a small white brownhaired boy) even though he came up with the idea for his show on his own (and they are radically different shows). The worst stuff comes from 4chan's Steven Universe board, because it combines racist stupidity with obvious envy that these late 20somethings got shows off the ground on a major cable network. The most Internet presence the people who work on the most popular CN shows have are Tumblr art blogs, Twitter has proved to be too much of a pain to deal with, because the fans of Steven Universe have turned out to be self-righteous jackasses if they are over ten years of age and under twenty-eight. Even Tom Scharpling (host of The Best Show and voice of Greg Universe) has given up on Twitter because he needs the time for writing projects and there are "too many garbage people." The only people getting material out of Twitter now are the political comedians like Chapo Trap House because mainstream journos like Joy Reid have proven to be utterly clueless in Trumpistan (she thinks that Communist Czechoslovakia was part of the USSR!)

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:06 am

That post right there is a good piece of writing, Strelnikov. I'm not conversant in popular culture, but that seems like a natural direction for you. I'm glad you'll be writing more blog posts on similar topics.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:19 pm

ericbarbour wrote:ha ha and PS: everyone you mentioned in this post has
a pissy Dramatica article. Whine and moar whine.

Many a true word is written in jest. :)

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:23 pm

And now Jim Sterling is talking at length about YouTube's "YouTube Problem":

I should point out that Google's awful algorithm-based way of dealing with "problems" is also screwing over online alternative media, as the people at Alternet and Consortiumnews will show you.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 pm

lol he's 1000% RIGHT but only YT could provide a platform for a guy like that