I just blocked Wikipedia on my home network using OpenDns! Blocked Twitter too

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ylevental
Sucks

I just blocked Wikipedia on my home network using OpenDns! Blocked Twitter too

Post by ylevental » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:09 pm

Ericbarbour, you were right. I should stop obsessing over Wikipedia. Everyone here should do this.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

I used the OpenDNS Home plan. Additional setup instructions are at: https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

I had to manually clear the cache, DNS, ect.

Finally, I think Wikipedia is literally the worst website ever created, since users have very little protections.

oranges33
Sucks Fan

Re: I just blocked Wikipedia on my home network using OpenDns! Blocked Twitter too

Post by oranges33 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:16 pm

true utopia would commence if everyone was blocked from seeing digital news as well

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Re: I just blocked Wikipedia on my home network using OpenDns! Blocked Twitter too

Post by wexter » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:11 am

ylevental wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:09 pm
Ericbarbour, you were right. I should stop obsessing over Wikipedia. Everyone here should do this.

I used the OpenDNS Home plan. Additional setup instructions are at: https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/

Finally, I think Wikipedia is literally the worst website ever created, since users have very little protections.
I started using the Internet in 1990 or just about - first with ftp services and then with Archie and Veronica - with the diversity and honesty of the content peaking with early WWW services with multiple crawlers, spiders, small personal websites, and other search engines. The content "looks better" today but it has been concentrated and co opted to such an extent that when you "preserve" privacy you basically shut down what scant (corporatized) droppings remain.
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."

ylevental
Sucks

Post by ylevental » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:16 pm

wexter wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:11 am
ylevental wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:09 pm

I started using the Internet in 1990 or just about - first with ftp services and then with Archie and Veronica - with the diversity and honesty of the content peaking with early WWW services with multiple crawlers, spiders, small personal websites, and other search engines. The content "looks better" today but it has been concentrated and co opted to such an extent that when you "preserve" privacy you basically shut down what scant (corporatized) droppings remain.

"There was no space online where you could learn for free, without ads." Wow, these people are Egomaniacs! I was just informed of this.

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 am

Here is your creepy wikipedia replacement.

chat.openai.com

oranges33
Sucks Fan

Post by oranges33 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:13 pm

wexter wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:24 am

chat.openai.com
I'd be fine with that replacing wikipedia honestly. I had it generate wiki articles, and while it obviously used what's already on Wikipedia for some of it's synthesis, it output articles tremendously less biased

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 am

wexter wrote:
chat.openai.com

lol

BONUS: they're using heavy DDOS Cloudfare "protection". It is totally unusable under a VPN or on Tor. I wonder if that thing is also some kind of "scraper" project that pretends to offer free AI services to the great unwashed, while saving information about them. A real "open" project would not demand to know your IP address and browser string, and then demand that you create an account and give them your email and phone number....

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:01 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:59 am
wexter wrote:
chat.openai.com
BONUS: they're using heavy DDOS Cloudfare "protection". It is totally unusable under a VPN or on Tor. I wonder if that thing is also some kind of "scraper" project that pretends to offer free AI services to the great unwashed, while saving information about them. A real "open" project would not demand to know your IP address and browser string, and then demand that you create an account and give them your email and phone number....
It seems to me it's a closed data set that is about one year old.
Yeah, they did scrape quite a bit of information; the idea is that their system can be programmed to sort and process information using "AI."

I have seen a trading system built around the same software.

BTW, hiding in plain sight (or being an open book) is more effective than Tor or VPN's.

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:39 pm

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:12 am

wexter wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:39 pm
Chatbot has vexed Wikipedians..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ed_content
FWIW "The Transhumanist" looks like a total raving looney to me. If all that account's 249,000 edits disappeared tomorrow, I doubt anyone would notice. Would also not surprise me if that was a sock belonging to the notorious transhumanist crank "Loremaster". He is very bad news. And Wikipedia has been a magnet for TH whackos (and all kinds of other whackos) for a long time.

Gotta add: the WP content on Transhumanism is an area where you will find traces of David Gerard's bizarre ego. He loves TH/extropianism/singulatarianism/related "isms".

Previous thread: https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38