What's the point in contributing to commons?

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ylevental
Sucks

Re: What's the point in contributing to commons?

Post by ylevental » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:32 pm

Data collection for Big Tech, I believe.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:58 am

I do it in part to learn more about the places of I've taken pictures of. The process of having to label everything (which may well help big tech) requires finding everything out. It's pretty cool to be able to add structured data to images; it's not quite the old keyword folksonomy (à la flickr), as it has aspirations to "rigour". :lol:

You can search the structured data on our own photos using SPARQL, so it *could* be used as a fairly sophisticated personal organizing tool. But then again, so could your own computer.

It won't teach you how to catch fish .

SkepticalHistorian
Sucks Fan

Post by SkepticalHistorian » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:28 am

Good way to dox yourself if you don’t remove exif data; coincidentally, uploaded an insect pic from home the other day thinking the data was erased… oh well, I use my real name on Wikimedia.

All my Flickr pics are Creative Commons. Since I use my real name, sometimes magazines use my pics and they show up on a Google search of my name; thus, hiding the nefarious things I’m also known for. For the longest time, Xxxxx used one of my pics of Mexican marijuana.

ylevental
Sucks

Post by ylevental » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm

sashi wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:58 am
I do it in part to learn more about the places of I've taken pictures of. The process of having to label everything (which may well help big tech) requires finding everything out. It's pretty cool to be able to add structured data to images; it's not quite the old keyword folksonomy (à la flickr), as it has aspirations to "rigour". :lol:

You can search the structured data on our own photos using SPARQL, so it *could* be used as a fairly sophisticated personal organizing tool. But then again, so could your own computer.

It won't teach you how to catch fish .
Interesting points, I hope you get unblocked. Though it's interesting to see a vocal Bernie supporter here, as Wikipedia is obsessed with him.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:47 am

ylevental wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm
Interesting points, I hope you get unblocked. Though it's interesting to see a vocal Bernie supporter here, as Wikipedia is obsessed with him.
Insofar as I have no intention of contributing anything related to Colonel Sanders, I don't suppose that really matters much, but, yeah. :lol:
  • Back in the day, 56.7% (38/67) of voters voted to Cban me. MastCell called this a >2/3 majority and ArbCom decided that such new math and rapid closure when people started objecting to the curb-kicking was within admin discretion and was not a supervote.
  • As of 1 January 2023, 61.5% of voters (12.8/20.8) had voted to unban me. This does not include any of the conditional supports (including MastCell's "I could support an unban as long as it's clear that this isn't a second chance, but more like an ''n''th chance, and that there won't be an (''n''+1)th chance.) but does include the brand-new red Lobster from Maine account's support (counted above as 0.8).
Curiously, the most vocal among the opposes has made more than 20 posts to the thread. Perhaps when this goes to a bureaucat chat (in the 60-75% range), some of this "badgering" will be discounted. Oh wait, these things don't go to "bureaucat chats" do they? ;)

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Post by wexter » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:30 pm

sashi wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:47 am
ylevental wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:02 pm
Insofar as I have no intention of contributing anything related to Colonel Sanders, I don't suppose that really matters much, but, yeah. :lol:
  • Back in the day, 56.7% (38/67) of voters voted to Cban me. MastCell called this a >2/3 majority and ArbCom decided that such new math and rapid closure when people started objecting to the curb-kicking was within admin discretion and was not a supervote.
  • As of 1 January 2023, 61.5% of voters (12.8/20.8) had voted to unban me. This does not include any of the conditional supports (including MastCell's "I could support an unban as long as it's clear that this isn't a second chance, but more like an ''n''th chance, and that there won't be an (''n''+1)th chance.) but does include the brand-new red Lobster from Maine account's support (counted above as 0.8).
Curiously, the most vocal among the opposes has made more than 20 posts to the thread. Perhaps when this goes to a bureaucat chat (in the 60-75% range), some of this "badgering" will be discounted. Oh wait, these things don't go to "bureaucat chats" do they? ;)
And to the forefront "grizzlycatbella" or crazycatbella https://wikipediasucks.co/forum/viewtop ... 600#p23472

Ban removal ask - some real gem quotes in there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... SashiRolls

Site Ban proposal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... SashiRolls

Talk renebled
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk ... 7_-_29_-_2
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."