Do any users actually enjoy Wikipedia anymore?

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ylevental
Sucks

Do any users actually enjoy Wikipedia anymore?

Post by ylevental » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:30 pm

Lately, nobody seems to even like Wikipedia anymore. The admins are too busy putting everyone down, and the users are either staying afloat or have been blocked.

Example from Bbb23 at the top: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1043323548

The last good admin was DGG, and he became semi-retired recently.

wexter
Sucks Warrior

Re: Do any users actually enjoy Wikipedia anymore?

Post by wexter » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:04 pm

ylevental wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:30 pm
Lately, nobody seems to even like Wikipedia anymore. The admins are too busy putting everyone down, and the users are either staying afloat or have been blocked.

Example from Bbb23 at the top: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1043323548

The last good admin was DGG, and he became semi-retired recently.
I'm not sure whether I've "unretired" yet, but it seems wrong to say I'm retired when I've been editing so much lately. I'm still deeply disturbed by the governance at Wikipedia and the WMF, and I doubt that will ever change. I could say more but don't think it's appropriate.--Bbb23 (talk) 22:16, 14 May 2021 (UTC)
Noticed Bbb23's edit count went to zero in 2021 only to recover to 3 hours+ of activity per day.

The "toxic social network" is aging out; they are trying to recruit college kids via class projects. WMF and Wikipedia are looking to recruit their own Hitler Youth; brown shirt requested but speeling not required.

The basic question is whether edits added to mainspace actually improve the encyclopedia, and that doesn't depend on how many links you or your students followed. Many instructors of university courses take little or no responsibility for what their students add to mainspace, causing other editors to have to clean up or revert their students' unclear, ungrammatical, and misplaced or poorly sourced sentences. As an editor who's been frustrated by this, I have two requests. First, it would be great if you use this as an opportunity to teach students how to edit their own writing, correct their grammar and word usage errors, and make their sentences clear and readable. Second, they should avoid complex/controversial topics (politics, abortion, race and gender bias, etc.) and start with easier topics. For example, they could improve an article about popular culture or sports or their home city or town. NightHeron (talk) 11:08, 19 December 2022 (UTC) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... oticeboard
Not saying Chatgpt is the bomb, but the concept might replace Wikipedia - no people needed,
Wikipedia - "Barely competent and paranoid. There’s a hell of a combination."