Wikipedia's financial cancer reaching new heights

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Wikipedia's financial cancer reaching new heights

Post by Ognistysztorm » Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm

Admission to a Wikimedia event is now restricted unless you donate beforehand. Grifters.
https://www.culturepk.org.uk/whats-on/p ... wikipedia/

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Wikipedia's financial cancer reaching new heights

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:29 pm

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:28 pm
Admission to a Wikimedia event is now restricted unless you donate beforehand. Grifters.
https://www.culturepk.org.uk/whats-on/p ... wikipedia/
Admission: By donation – suggested donations of £4.00 per session (6 sessions). Places are limited for this project – please book a place via Eventbrite.
£4 really isn't much.

Most Wikimedia meetings in the past were no-charge attendance. Yes I will give you that. Wikimanias, being the extreme example, are usually poorly attended because they are held in different random countries every year. Very few WP cult members (other than WMF employees and "cult members" who manage to beg expense accounts from the WMF, this is reserved for the hard core of the insiders) can usually afford to attend out their own pockets. Having Wikimanias in places like Gdansk or Buenos Aires insures even less of a "threat" that critics, or journalists asking difficult questions, will show up. NOTHING annoys a cult more than being cross-examined by journalists who are not willing to do the Stephen Harrison.

But hat-passing to pay for the venue, at local meetings, has also happened before. Perhaps I should also point out that Wikimedia activity in Australia has always been a chaotic, contentious, and UNDERFUNDED mess of arrogant personalities fighting over what little funds they do have. Some of the absolute worst Wikipedos in history were Aussies. The things I could tell you....
Last edited by ericbarbour on Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.