WikiConference 2023

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

WikiConference 2023

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:38 pm

X and Canadian news are reporting that there is a bomb threat targeting the library where the event is held.
Start of today's session (Sue Gardner's keynote) has been delayed by a bomb threat, which they don't believe to be very credible, so they haven't evacuated the building. Fingers crossed that I don't get hurt because I'm sitting at the first row of tables behind Gardner's podium. Latecomers have been locked out of the building until security/police give the all-clear.

This comes on the heels of a ransomware attack on the Toronto Public Library which was reported on by local TV news.

I hope the Wi-Fi I'm using now is sufficiently secure.

The Boston venue (MIT) was nicer, my opinion.
https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... 78#p336262

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/11/11/ ... mb-threat/

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: WikiConference 2023

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:40 pm

Threat came from gym nearby in Tennessee, but was made to look like it came from India.
Real Mr. Robot-style haxx0r bullsh0t.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 9.34.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 9.34.55 AM.png (475.16 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Last edited by Strelnikov on Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:08 am

Some people have no morals....
"Giraffe Stapler" wrote:Really? I understand that some people get very very angry about Wikipedia blocking their socks or letting Jess Wade write articles, but calling in a bomb threat to disrupt a Wikipedia event? What about all the staff and the other patrons who have absolutely nothing to do with Wikipedia? Someome just doing their daily job of selling coffee and over-priced sandwiches for less than a living wage?
How can you make a joke about a bomb threat that looks very credible (as in, it's clear it came from someone with first hand experience of Wikipedia's endemic corruption) and could seriously affect the mental health of people you interact with on an almost daily basis?

Shameless.

As for Wade, her biggest crimes are a casual disregard for the BLP policy and abuse of Wikipedia to give already quite successful people an even bigger profile. So it isn't really credible to think that a person who goes to extraordinary lengths to ensure Wade is never held to account, is the sort of person who would give a shit whether low paid catering staff got blown to pieces just because they happened to be in the same room as a gathering of some of the most powerful Wikipedia editors.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:56 am

ChaosMeRee wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:08 am
"Giraffe Stapler" wrote:Really? I understand that some people get very very angry about Wikipedia blocking their socks or letting Jess Wade write articles, but calling in a bomb threat to disrupt a Wikipedia event? What about all the staff and the other patrons who have absolutely nothing to do with Wikipedia? Someome just doing their daily job of selling coffee and over-priced sandwiches for less than a living wage?
How can you make a joke about a bomb threat that looks very credible (as in, it's clear it came from someone with first hand experience of Wikipedia's endemic corruption) and could seriously affect the mental health of people you interact with on an almost daily basis?
heh

WHAT "MENTAL HEALTH"?
Last edited by ericbarbour on Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:07 am

ChaosMeRee wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:08 am
Some people have no morals....

Shameless.

As for Wade, her biggest crimes are a casual disregard for the BLP policy and abuse of Wikipedia to give already quite successful people an even bigger profile. So it isn't really credible to think that a person who goes to extraordinary lengths to ensure Wade is never held to account, is the sort of person who would give a shit whether low paid catering staff got blown to pieces just because they happened to be in the same room as a gathering of some of the most powerful Wikipedia editors.
Growing number of people on Twitter and Reddit, especially the Toronto subreddit, are beginning to be warm to the idea of asking hard questions about Wikipedia. That being said, it's still a crime to callously disregard the well being of non-Wikipedia people who happened to be there at the wrong time by making the fake bomb threat and wasting police resources.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm

Given the Wikimedia foundation is pandering for money right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the caller was an insider trying to fundraise by drumming up sympathy money for a wiki event that otherwise basically no one cares about.

Its sad and sick, but exactly the kind of whacky shady shit wikipedians would do for their cult.
#BbbGate

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:46 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm
Given the Wikimedia foundation is pandering for money right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the caller was an insider trying to fundraise by drumming up sympathy money for a wiki event that otherwise basically no one cares about.

Its sad and sick, but exactly the kind of whacky shady shit wikipedians would do for their cult.
Bruh that would be like Scientology's Operation Freakout, but if that were the case then they most likely might randomly pick a name of a banned user as a joe job to further their grift, instead of that stupid and oxymoronic "squad" name. Thus the likelihood of bona fide disgruntled nutjobs remains more likely than that of the elaborate joe job operation.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:42 pm

There are certainly a few banned users who might do something like that. Maybe grawp or that george reeves dude from chicago. But i doubt it. If its not an insider, it could just be some random whack a nooodle. People take that kinda thing seriously though. So i have no doubt theyll be investigating.
#BbbGate

ChaosMeRee
Sucker

Post by ChaosMeRee » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:09 am

Beeblebrox wrote:It's just some coward trying to feel important. That would be true even if the threat were real, but I am for sure glad that it wasn't.
I wouldn't call risking life in prison or death by Mountie in one last push for revenge to be cowardice. Insanity perhaps. But not cowardice.

But I think every man and his dog would agree hiding under Jake's skirts is an act of sheer cowardice.

Why does a man who is that pathetic even travel over four thousand miles to a nerd camp anyway?

He doesn't, is the obvious answer. Never had any intention to. Beeblebrox has hidden his identity well, precisely because he knows he is exacty the kind of contemptible maggot whose every word and deed induces bomb making levels of rage in otherwise decent humans. He was never going to attend a conference where he could be identified quite easily.

All that garbage about important projects is all the proof you need that it's Grade A horseshit. A liar always embelishes the story to a ridiculous level of detail, and Beeblebrox probably also couldn't resist the chance of making his Wikipediocracy bed follows feel like they are in the presence of greatness. Which they are, as Jake's deference to the little Prince reminds them every single day.

There is of course some truth to what he said. He is what he is. A white dude colonizing Indian lands to extract the black gold for the Great Satan. That is his truth. He paints a very different picture of himself to Wikipedians of course. He's too scared to tell them who he really is. If he lost his power, he would be lost.

Definitely a coward. Barely a man.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:31 am

Beeblebrox is just a mindless cultist who never had an original thought in his life. He's just an indoctrinated cultist who hasnt done anything useful for Wikipedia, or Wikipediocracy for that matter, in a very, very long time. He's like the celebrity who's famous for being famous!
Last edited by ericbarbour on Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#BbbGate