WikiConference 2023

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: WikiConference 2023

Post by ericbarbour » Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:27 am

Kumioko wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:23 pm
Given the Wikimedia foundation is pandering for money right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the caller was an insider trying to fundraise by drumming up sympathy money for a wiki event that otherwise basically no one cares about.
I would not be surprised at all.
Why does a man who is that pathetic even travel over four thousand miles to a nerd camp anyway?
Never been to a Wikimedia meet, have you? Pathetic is part of their "official remit". Cults are not picky about the people they exploit.

Boy howdy, there was some real Freudian slips in the posts of this thread.....really should fix those....(done)
Last edited by ericbarbour on Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:18 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:27 am
Kumioko wrote:
Given the Wikimedia foundation is pandering for money right now, it wouldnt surprise me if the caller was an insider trying to fundraise by drumming up sympathy money for a wiki event that otherwise basically no one cares about.
Why does a man who is that pathetic even travel over four thousand miles to a nerd camp anyway?
Never been to a Wikimedia meet, have you? Pathetic is part of their "official remit". Cults are not picky about the people they exploit.

Boy howdy, there was some real Freudian slips in the posts of this thread.....really should fix those....(done)
Meanwhile, the bomb threat message have finally been removed from the hacked gym site after lingering for nearly 2 days. It's tempting to think that the latest user joining this forum might be a CBC reporter as their news article still indicates "more to come".

Cla68
Sucks

Post by Cla68 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:33 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:27 am
Kumioko wrote:
Wikiconferences/wikimanias have been held in nearby cities to me at least twice in the last few years and I couldn't find the motivation to attend. In fact, I think one of them was walking distance from my office. That being said, there are some Wikipedians I would be interested in meeting, like Giano, but I notice that he and other Wikipedians or former Wikipedians who seem to have genuine personalities also don't attend Wikipedia conferences.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:58 am

Cla68 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:33 pm
Wikiconferences/wikimanias have been held in nearby cities to me at least twice in the last few years and I couldn't find the motivation to attend. In fact, I think one of them was walking distance from my office. That being said, there are some Wikipedians I would be interested in meeting, like Giano, but I notice that he and other Wikipedians or former Wikipedians who seem to have genuine personalities also don't attend Wikipedia conferences.
You aren't missing anything--the really important people attended early meetups and would avoid modern ones like the plague; or they are like Giano, so obsessed with secrecy they would not be caught dead at any meeting.

These things are no different from the industry trade shows I've been to (many, many of them). Not much "actual serious business" is conducted at trade shows, the whole thing is just an insider schmooze-fest. Startup companies often don't even bother with trade shows or conferences as it's usually better (and a lot cheaper) to approach potential customers or partners directly.

Ask Stierlitz about the lunatic treatment he received when he showed up at a Wikiconference. That's not a "conference", that's a cult reinforcement networking and ass-licking party. Extreme paranoia is displayed to outsiders of any kind.