Coverage on Wikipedia's decline has been disappearing

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
NadirAli
Sucks Fan

Re: Coverage on Wikipedia's decline has been disappearing

Post by NadirAli » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:17 am

If I'm not mistaken though, the activity on Wiki is still much lower than what it was in the 2000s and is still slowing down.

Apparently Wikimedia is looking for ways to encourage more editors. Though I could be wrong.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Re: Coverage on Wikipedia's decline has been disappearing

Post by Bbb23sucks » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:46 am

NadirAli wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:17 am
If I'm not mistaken though, the activity on Wiki is still much lower than what it was in the 2000s and is still slowing down.
Yes. And it is collapsing the fastest it has ever been outside of the post-Essjay scandal fallout.
NadirAli wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:17 am
Apparently Wikimedia is looking for ways to encourage more editors. Though I could be wrong.
Yes and they are DESPERATE. They are spending huge amounts of money for very little return. Very few people edit and even fewer stick around, and most of them eventually leave because of the toxicity.

Wikipedia is experiencing a toxicity spiral and it's only going to get worse. The more toxic Wikipedia gets, the more non-toxic people leave, thus making the average editor even more toxic. The second most toxic editors are the ones who vote in RfA's, secondly only to the admins they are electing. Those admins intern push out more editors speeding up the cycle even more.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.