Katherine Maher Named C.E.O. of NPR

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Katherine Maher Named C.E.O. of NPR

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am
Eric, can you dig up your book wiki notes about Katherine Maher?
There isn't a lot in there, that wasn't already posted on this forum. She came along late in the history. By that time I'd given up on keeping track of the endless revolving door of obscure figures. But here's the main gist of it. She UNQUESTIONABLY lied about her salary, for one thing.
Ms. Maher was hired as the Communications Officer for the WMF on 30 March 2014, to replace the much loved Jay Walsh. She quickly rose to the top of the heap -- lasting seven years as a WMF employee, unusually for someone who habitually chased high positions at nonprofit organizations for most of her working life.

Her history prior to the WMF

It is a very "interesting and colorful" history. Starting with internship at the Council on Foreign Relations (notorious for its dark reputation among political conspiracists), she has flitted from one public-relations and "technology advisor" job to another since 2004. Her longest period was as "Innovation and Communication Officer" for UNICEF, a whole 2 years and 8 months. Megabank HSBC and an assortment of nonprofits also appear in her CV. She had some relationship with Star Apartments, having edited its (badly written) Wikipedia article heavily.

The arrival

From the snarky Wikipediocracy thread, which quoted Sue Gardner's email:

> "I'm pleased to announce we've hired a Chief Communications Officer for the Wikimedia Foundation, replacing Jay Walsh who left us in October. Our new head of communications will be Katherine Maher, and she will join us on 14 April, reporting to me."

> "Katherine comes to the WMF from Washington DC, where she was Advocacy Director for the global digital rights organization Access. At Access, she was responsible for all media and communications work, including communications between the organization and its 350,000 members. She also handled coalition work and advocacy efforts and urgent global threats to digital rights, participated in the organization's strategic planning, and was deeply involved with the production of RightsCon."

> "Before Access, Katherine worked on the launch of the Open Development Technology Alliance at the World Bank, and was a program manager for internet freedom projects at the National Democratic Institute. Earlier, she worked on the UniWiki initiative for the UNICEF Innovation team, intended to improve MediaWiki's usability for people who were new to computer use, using early-model technology, or connecting in low-bandwidth environments. Through her career she's been a frequent media spokesperson and writer of op-eds and other media materials."

> "Katherine has lived and worked in nine countries and visited many more. She is a native speaker of English, and has a basic knowledge of French, Arabic and German."

> "The purpose of the CCO role is to ensure fast, easy information flow about Wikimedia in multiple languages, both internally within the movement and outside of it, and I think Katherine will be a wonderful fit for that work. Her experiences advocating for the rights of ordinary internet users and communicating with a large global volunteer community are both rare and directly relevant. She's got a solid understanding of internet technologies. She's a crisp, clear communicator, and an experienced spokesperson."

> "I want to thank the people who helped with the interviewing process: Geoff Brigham, Jove Oliver, Gayle Karen Young, David Gerard, Erik Moeller, Lisa Gruwell, Frank Schulenburg, and Jimmy Wales. A special thanks to Geoff, who's ably overseen our communications functions for the past several years, and to Jay, who's generously filled in when it took us longer than we expected to hire for this role. Geoff and Jay will be helping Katherine get on-boarded, and I know she'll benefit enormously from their guidance and support."

As Kelly Martin said: "So they have a new Mouth of Sauron? How exciting, we get to listen to someone else lie to us."

She gets a promotion

Due to the sudden resignation of Lila Tretikov in early March 2016, Katherine was swiftly appointed to the post as an "interim" director, most likely by the Board of Trustees, with Jimbo suspected of pulling strings to "insure success". One lovely side effect was that she was suddenly considered "notable" enough to get her own Wikipedia biography, created 11 March by patroller, OTRS volunteer, and Wikiproject Military History member Ktr101, and subsequently messed with by Wikipedia insiders Mike Peel and Andy Mabbett.

And in June 2016 Maher was made the "permanent" WMF Director. [1]

Posted on the now-defunct Wikirev forum, 2017:

> "Well let's see. Jimmy is 51 now so he would have been about 36 when Wikipedia got started. Maher is 34."
> "I'm not so much against her age or her looks/mannerisms but I don't think she brings much to the table. Her resume is really weak, consisting of a bunch of bouncing around from one nonprofit to another. She hardly ever spent more than a year or two anywhere. How are we supposed to expect her to have any long-term vision?"
> "Likewise her education is not very extensive. For this level position I would expect either a really impressive work experience, which she doesn't have, or a doctorate in something relevant."
> "She doesn't seem like she even recognizes the problem. At least Jimmy was savvy enough to hire Larry Sanger to be the "brains" and lend some credibility to the enterprise."
> "Right now I see Wikipedia as being completely run by nonprofit money-raising experts with little or no attachment to the vision of the community. The appointment of Maher as leader is proof."

Defends six-figures WMF salaries and lying fundraising banners

Hacker News thread (archive) from June 2021. Katherine spins, Andreas Kolbe shows up to call her out for prevarication, she denies and denies.

Says her compensation when she left was a little over $400,000.

> it isn't sustainable (or arguably ethical) to ask people to work for significantly less than the value of their labor.

Tell that to the volunteers!

On the fundraising banners that consistently paint a picture of a Wikipedia in dire need of financial rescue:

> I agree that there were some problems with the fundraising messaging in India. It's an example of where the initial message testing worked, but when it went to a full campaign, the press ran with stories that were misleading and alarmist. In fact, WMF staff then worked extensively with the communities in India and did a significant amount of press, including television interviews, to clarify the purpose of the fundraiser and dispel concerns.

> You continue to push for messaging that you personally believe to be more truthful to your belief about how fundraising works. Okay. That's fair, and you are entirely welcome to continue to do that. However, years of research and focus groups and testing has continuously demonstrated that the primary reason people donate to Wikipedia isn't a fear it will go away, nor is it a strategic interest in the future. The overwhelming reason is gratitude that it exists, and the opportunity to have contribute in their own way.

> Would I personally respond to a message about mission and strategy? Yes, I would. But most people do not. Instead, millions of people find the donation banners acceptable and even inspirational -- far more so than messages about product and feature improvements. So despite the loyal opposition of you and others, I'm fairly certain that the WMF will continue to fundraise with messages that work on the level of what people care the most about, which is what Wikipedia means to them in their own lives.

Hector Martin replies:

> the primary reason people donate to Wikipedia isn't a fear it will go away
> I'm fairly certain that the WMF will continue to fundraise with messages that work on the level of what people care the most about, which is what Wikipedia means to them in their own lives.

> Those two are obviously contradictory. WMF's messaging is clearly, blatantly aimed at presenting the Foundation as having a problem staying afloat. If you didn't think the primary reason people donate to Wikipedia was a fear of it going away, you wouldn't be pushing messaging that is designed to cause people to have precisely that fear.

> Quite frankly, your messaging reads like typical corporate doublespeak, and does nothing but further make me lose trust in the foundation.

Andreas replies:

> I've lost count of the number of donors who've said they felt stung by learning just how well off the WMF is financially, felt they'd been lied to, wished they had donated to someone else, said they'd now cancelled their monthly donation, etc.
> The implication is that for them, the sense of urgency was precisely the reason they donated. They believed they were helping "a friend in need". That's what made them feel good. Being used, not so much.
And don't forget Daniel Brandt's thread from last year:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3101
Last edited by ericbarbour on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

gnngl
Sucks

Post by gnngl » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:05 pm
Regardless of your positions in the NPR fiasco I strongly suspect that it will become another opportunity to get Wikipedia's problems exposed for good.
Just like the last 20 fiascos

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:48 pm

gnngl wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 am
Ognistysztorm wrote:
Regardless of your positions in the NPR fiasco I strongly suspect that it will become another opportunity to get Wikipedia's problems exposed for good.
Except unlike let's say 2012 or 2017, many bad news about Wikipedia just keep coming out frequently, as if they are finally going to be taken seriously by the mainstream after so many years of neglect and apathy.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:21 am

threads from 2019

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1451
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1149

2018 thread

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=682

Remember that Wikirev was destroyed after only a couple of months. What little remains on archive.org's Wayback is rather useless.

There's a bunch of complaining from Graaf back then in lesser threads, he tended to rant at her in the first person. Find them if you want.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:11 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:21 am
threads from 2019

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1451
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1149

2018 thread

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=682

Remember that Wikirev was destroyed after only a couple of months. What little remains on archive.org's Wayback is rather useless.

There's a bunch of complaining from Graaf back then in lesser threads, he tended to rant at her in the first person. Find them if you want.
Now most if not whole of the liberal-progressive /r/Destiny subreddit has turned against Wikipedia because of pro-Hamas biases in latter. It seems like the tide is starting to turn after so many false starts, which would've been unimaginable in 2022.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/commen ... wikipedia/

Introduction
Since 7/10 there have been cadres of ultra-pro-Palestine editors on Wikipedia who have been singularly focused on painting Israel as the evil aggressor. Certain prominent editors with more than 100,000 edits to Wikipedia openly support Hamas.

Euro-Med Monitor's disinformation campaign
These pro-Palestine Wikipedia editors know that if they go too far towards the pro-Palestine side in one instance, then there may be sanctions against them. Instead, what they do is they delegitimize reliable sources and promote pro-Palestine opinion sources. For example, in the page for the Israel-Hamas war, they cite the Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor (Euro-Med) to falsely claim that 90% of casualties were civilians. On the surface, the Euro-Med Monitor looks like a generic human rights organization however, the Euro-Med Monitor has actually been a significant source of pro-Hamas propaganda on social media. In fact, it is owned by a man named Ramy Abdu, who is a literal Hamas lobbyist. His Wikipedia page seems awfully one-sided. Why is that? Well, a prominent contributor to both his article and the Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor article is Wikipedia user Anassjerjawi. Guess who is also named Anass Jerjawi? The Chief Operating Officer of Euro-Med. Other prominent contributors to Euro-Med's Wikipedia page are Maha Hussaini and Nesma Jaber, both contributors at the Qatari-funded Middle East Eye newspaper. There are also 8 other unknown Wikipedia editors who have edited Euro-Med's page with pro-Palestine edits, some of whom have edited other pro-Palestine and human rights-related Wikipedia articles. Why is this so pervasive? The answer is that Euro-Med actually has a program in which they get 40 Palestinian university students to edit English and Italian Wikipedia every year.

How Palestine supporters influence Wikipedia
The situation with Euro-Med is just one particularly egregious example, but the ways in which Palestine supporters influence Wikipedia are generally much more subtle. For example, Elie Wiesel's article previously claimed that "Following his death, Wiesel was criticized by some for his perceived silence on certain Israeli government policies with regards to the Palestinians." The source for this is an OPINION article from Mondoweiss, an explicitly pro-Hamas website. The only people criticizing Wiesel here is the **author of the opinion piece.** Using this same logic, I could cite a Stormfront Forum post and say "Wiesel was criticized by some for being a Jew." Another example is the article for Ramy Abdu, the founder of Euro-Med and a Hamas lobbyist, it says that he is a "human rights advocate." The citation for this is an article that **Abdu himself wrote.** This clearly violates Wikipedia's guidelines about self-published sources. By this logic, I could make a Wikipedia article and cite a website I just made that says that I am human rights advocate.

Double standards
In 2013, the pro-Israel website "NGO Monitor" was banned from being used as a source on Wikipedia. Although I agree with NGO Monitor, it is clearly a biased source, and is not suitable for use on Wikipedia, an unbiased website. NGO Monitor's Wikipedia page clearly states at the beginning that it is "pro-Israel." When an organization such as the ADL is cited on a Wikipedia article related to Israel-Hamas, it is very frequently referred to as a "pro-Israel" group whenever it is cited in an article. On the other hand, when Euro-Med is cited in an article, it is simply listed as the "Euro-Med Human Rights Monitor." This is despite Euro-Med's clear pro-Palestine bias.

Most people don't go past the headline. When people hover over the page for Euro-Med, they see: "Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor is an independent, nonprofit organization for the protection of human rights." Their immediate reaction is that Euro-Med is similar to an organization like Amnesty International. On the other hand, when people hover over the page for NGO Monitor, they see: "NGO Monitor (Non-governmental Organization Monitor) is a right-wing non-governmental organization based in Jerusalem that reports on international NGO activity from a pro-Israel perspective." Their immediate reaction is that anything NGO Monitor says is unreliable.

**The two organizations are equally biased, but only one of them, NGO Monitor is clearly depicted as being biased. The other one, Euro-Med, is cited all across Wikipedia despite having never been cited by any credible mainstream news organization.**

How can this be fixed?
Therein lies the problem with Wikipedia. If 4 out of every 5 users editing an Israel-Palestine Wikipedia article is pro-Palestine, *of course* the articles will have a pro-Palestine slant. Wikipedia operates based on a consensus decision-making process, and pro-Palestine editors dominate the consensus. The only body that regulates the conduct of these users is the Wikipedia Arbitration Committee), a largely unbiased group of editors that makes sure that editors stay within the consensus decision-making process. But when the consensus decision-making process is fundamentally corrupted, then the power of pro-Palestine editors can go unchecked. Simply put: there need to be more pro-Israel English Wikipedia editors.

Real-world impacts
The impact of this is that an entire generation of internet users becomes subtly brainwashed by pro-Palestine propaganda. The situation is analogous to when Holocaust Deniers took over the Croatian Wikipedia, and controlled it from 2011 to 2020. This *can't not* have had an effect on Croatian society. In 2020, the far-right ultranationalist Homeland Party won 11 seats in the Croatian parliament, and 2 days ago they won 14 seats. The rise of the Homeland Party can't be directly attributed to the fascist takeover of Croatian Wikipedia - other far-right parties in Europe arose around the same time for a variety of factors. However, the fascist takeover almost certainly did poison the thinking of hundreds of thousands of young Croats who used Croatian Wikipedia every day.

I'm worried that a cabal of pro-Palestine Wikipedia editors will irreversibly and irreparably harm the public's image of Israel. That is all.

Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Post by Ognistysztorm » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:55 pm

On an unrelated sidenote here are two insightful posts on how not to run an organization if they want it to last long. Justapedia and any other encyclopedic platforms which want to be better than Wikipedia should read these.

How Organizations Collapse

Nonprofits Fail – Here’s Seven Reasons Why – Tracy Ebarb

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:53 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:11 pm
Now most if not whole of the liberal-progressive /r/Destiny subreddit has turned against Wikipedia because of pro-Hamas biases in latter. It seems like the tide is starting to turn after so many false starts, which would've been unimaginable in 2022.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Destiny/commen ... wikipedia/
The sheer IGNORANCE of those pathetic Redditors is simply amazing. If any of them could be bothered to log in HERE, I'd cheerfully tell them more of the backstory of Israel/Palestine squabbles in WP. It is FAR uglier than they seem to realize. But then, total ignorance is par for the course of Reddit, and I suspect r/destiny is full of Israel POV pushers and other people with political axes to grind.

(Isn't it supposed to be about a popular Twitch game streamer? What's with all the angry political raving?)

And calling Mondoweiss an "explicitly pro-Hamas website" is really pushing it. Their own Wikipedia article describes them as "fostering greater fairness for Palestinians in American foreign policy, and as providing American Jews with an alternative identity to that expressed by Zionist ideology, which he regards as antithetical to American liberalism." So it is RUN BY AMERICAN LIBERAL JEWS, who don't happen to like extreme Zionist ideas.

All of this shows how extreme both sides of the argument have become. Anyone wanting to walk a middle ground, or even god forbid, seek peace, is instantly attacked as a "TERROR GROUP OR FELLOW TRAVELER". I saw identical bullshit being pulled on Wikipedia Israel-related articles in the early 2000s, by a succession of extremely pro-Israel sockpuppets and THEIR fellow travelers. Over and over.

Somewhere, that relentless asshole Jayjg is laughing hysterically.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:22 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:11 pm
> "Pro-Hamas"

??

Wikipedia is firmly pro-Israel.
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

Bbb23sucks
Sucker

Post by Bbb23sucks » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:27 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:53 am
(Isn't it supposed to be about a popular Twitch game streamer? What's with all the angry political raving?)
Well he is. Apparently he was that but then decided that he would get more attention in politics despite knowing nothing about politics. He somehow managed to get himself in a debate on Israel/Palestine between serious experts. He was completely destroyed during the debate and was actually mocked for his repeated citing of Wikipedia. More info: https://old.reddit.com/r/stupidpol/comm ... orris_and/
"Globally banned" since September 5, 2023 for exposing harassment.

gnngl
Sucks

Post by gnngl » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:39 am

Ognistysztorm wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:48 pm
gnngl wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 am
Ognistysztorm wrote:
Except unlike let's say 2012 or 2017, many bad news about Wikipedia just keep coming out frequently, as if they are finally going to be taken seriously by the mainstream after so many years of neglect and apathy.
Will it make search engines take Wikipedia off their first results? No? Then it'll continue fine