Former steward Mardetanha (of Farsi Wikipedia) globally banned by WMF

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Ognistysztorm
Sucks Critic

Former steward Mardetanha (of Farsi Wikipedia) globally banned by WMF

Post by Ognistysztorm » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 am

https://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewto ... 69#p348503
Mardetanha (T-C-L)

Mostly active on Farsi Wikipedia and Commons. No apparent recent block history.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Former steward Mardetanha (of Farsi Wikipedia) globally banned by WMF

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:55 pm

In the past Mardetanha was mentioned on the Signpost, repeatedly, but only in passing as a "trusted steward". Never as the subject of a scandal or other "bad news". Similar results on noticeboards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:S ... V%22&ns0=1

See now? THIS is how you play the Wikipedians. It takes years and years. And one little fuck-up, and they turn on you like (censorious) mad dogs. Assuming there was an actual fuck-up, and they didn't turn on him for insane/no reason. Note that the report about Iranian government meetings with WP insiders was first published in 2019. Something else, that we don't know about, must have happened more recently. But no one's talking.

I've dug thru Meta and various other WMF wikis, and I still have no clue why he was "globally b&". Beginning to suspect some diffs were oversighted. Sure could use the help of a Farsi speaker here. Digging thru fa-WP's noticeboards is fruitless. (Look at the latest archive of the "Coffeehouse". Some bitching and moaning about the bias reports from years ago, nothing substantial. I bet fa-WP is even more heavily censored than en-WP. Scroll down to "They tied up the lonely man", where they talk about the Mardetanha banning. THEY don't know what happened either!)

And now I wonder if the real story will turn up on the next issue of the Signpost, which should be dropping any day. Unlikely. It's what they do: deny and deny, until OOPS WE SHOULD DO SOMETHING.
Last edited by ericbarbour on Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.