Banning Catapult - a command decision made

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: Banning Catapult - a command decision made

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:07 pm

Mutineer wrote:I won't say "good block!" because then I sound like some detestable Wikipedia administrative participant. But for anyone reading who didn't catch it at the time, Catapult was really posting terrible stuff. It wasn't even conversation, it was more one-sentence accusations with a link to go here or there.

This is a discussion board, so don't come here with some one-sentence hostile garbage, instead discuss.

I had to ban him; he kept spraying this gunk everywhere and it was pure trolling spam in the 4chan tradition. Also, this is his idea of revenge for the Metapedia article because he can't manage to get a job stocking shelves at a Tesco. If the Smith brothers offered themselves to Islamic State as suicide bombers, ISIS staff would stamp their foreheads "4F" in bright red and dump them on the first flight back to England. I would trade the Smith brothers to the Devil* just to get Stephen Hawking back, but I know His Satanic Majesty wants Teresa May, Henry Kissinger, and the cast of Jersey Shore as well, so the deal is off.

* You just know that Aleister Crowley won the job of Devil from Satan in a game of cards which he rigged, but Chernobog doesn't care because it's a break in the monotony, and Crowley's a top-rate tryhard.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:43 pm

Mutineer wrote:I won't say "good block!" because then I sound like some detestable Wikipedia administrative participant. But for anyone reading who didn't catch it at the time, Catapult was really posting terrible stuff. It wasn't even conversation, it was more one-sentence accusations with a link to go here or there.

This is a discussion board, so don't come here with some one-sentence hostile garbage, instead discuss.

I complete agree with you, a block can never be a good thing, but this was only hurting someone, and indeed not a conversation. It was in one word disgusting. I have seen it because I am living in a different time zone.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 pm

The procedure I have used where it was technically possible was to place the person on "moderated" status, to reject inappropriate posts with a brief warning/explanation, and if they ignore the warnings, making it a PITA, then ban.

However, I got a number of harassing PMs from Catapult. Not being confirmed yet, here, I couldn't answer, not that I necessarily would. Arguing with trolls is generally a waste of time, they are not interested in actual communication. Because my study is of the widespread harassment itself, I often respond to Smith trolling there, because they reveal the character of the troll.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:12 am

Well there is one positive takeaway from this...we can confirm people know this forum is here and are reading it even if they do not actively post.
#BbbGate

Larkin
Sucks

Post by Larkin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi all. Just looking because I got a message from Strelnikov. Busy with other stuff at the moment, but I do hope to take more of an interest later in the year. Keep up the good work!

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Larkin wrote:Hi all. Just looking because I got a message from Strelnikov. Busy with other stuff at the moment, but I do hope to take more of an interest later in the year. Keep up the good work!

For the others: Larkin was a regular on Wikipedia Review long ago. A good contributor too.

Please Larkin, stick around. More critics are better.