True Tales from Bizarro Wikipedia: Incident at the FTN

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
WWHP
Sucks

True Tales from Bizarro Wikipedia: Incident at the FTN

Post by WWHP » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:30 am

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: True Tales from Bizarro Wikipedia: Incident at the FTN

Post by CrowsNest » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Not sure if was even your intent, but without concrete proof, for your own sake I'd avoid alleging Guy Macon is part of any coordinated effort. Because the sad reality is, he just really is that dumb. In all these tangles where reality meets Wikipedia, he's quite possibly the only person who really believes any of the bullcrap being shoveled.

To continue the theme you ran with, he's definitely one of useful idiots of the enemies of the cult, and for use by the cult within the cult against the inside heretics. That's not to say he is just reactive or a follower, he can be quite the aggressive and proactive little bunny when he wants to be - witness his role in the downgrading of the Daily Mail as a reliable source. I've lost count of the number of outright lies and defamation he is guilty of there, in addition to the subtle smearing and misrepresentation.

Although even there, it's notable that he didn't lob the first grenade, it came from someone who actually admitted after the fact it was a deliberate campaign of misinformation, and the campaign was then enthusiastically joined by the likes of the other more infamous Guy, who undoubtedly knew what he was saying was defamatory.

The Macon virus is a most interesting study subject, as entertaining as he is horrifying, that's for sure. A necessary ingredient for the recipe you are unpacking. Apologies if you're already well aware of him from your own observation of the sphere, it's tough to keep track of who knows what, and I'm typing fast as I got non-sphere stuff to be doing today....

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:23 am

Guy Macon and Guy Chapman = dumb, always. They exist to use WP as a "honeypot" to attract people they can humiliate and abuse. Any attempt to change official policies to directly discourage pseudoscience, odd medical practices etc. from being treated seriously would ruin their fun, and so will never happen.

WWHP
Sucks

Post by WWHP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:40 am

CrowsNest wrote:Not sure if was even your intent, but without concrete proof, for your own sake I'd avoid alleging Guy Macon is part of any coordinated effort. Because the sad reality is, he just really is that dumb. In all these tangles where reality meets Wikipedia, he's quite possibly the only person who really believes any of the bullcrap being shoveled.

ha! funny thing is pretty much every single one of them whom I have encountered have pretty much been equally dumb, especially on RationalWIki. If Guy is editing on RW as well, which is likely if he is the impressionable editor you suggest - he is still participating in a harassment campaign, and by sharing a RW link on Wikipedia, he is willfully participating in that campaign. Most on RW are not fully cognizant of what they are doing either - they all believe the BS they write.

In some ways, that is what makes our friend "Smith" so interesting, as he has in many cases been successful at influencing this community

The Macon virus is a most interesting study subject, as entertaining as he is horrifying, that's for sure. A necessary ingredient for the recipe you are unpacking. Apologies if you're already well aware of him from your own observation of the sphere, it's tough to keep track of who knows what, and I'm typing fast as I got non-sphere stuff to be doing today....

Thanks for the heads up on this character! actually, he was not on my radar at all until he posted that link. But that is true for all of them actually, I wouldn't know any of them for the same reason, they all seem to come to me - as if I put out a casting call that said "Wanted for an harassment case study: Hyper rational types with anti-social psychologies who edit Wikipedia"

thx CrowsNest!

WWHP
Sucks

Post by WWHP » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:45 am

ericbarbour wrote:Guy Macon and Guy Chapman = dumb, always. They exist to use WP as a "honeypot" to attract people they can humiliate and abuse. Any attempt to change official policies to directly discourage pseudoscience, odd medical practices etc. from being treated seriously would ruin their fun, and so will never happen.

In modern parlance a :mrgreen: Troll Farm.