Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups

Post by Graaf Statler » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:58 am

The "old editors are leaving so let's get new editors" approach to editor turnover/retention has always baffled me. If the bucket is leaking, shouldn't we try to find out why it's leaking first? Simply pouring in more water without trying to locate and patch the leak just wastes water. Unless of course the water leaking out is the "wrong" kind of water, and you're putting in the "right" kind of water to replace it. But that still doesn't fix the leak, and you keep losing water.

I found it here.

Yes, the Strategy discussion of the Wikimedia movement.

Simply pouring in more water without trying to locate and patch the leak just wastes water. Unless of course the water leaking out is the "wrong" kind of water, and you're putting in the "right" kind of water to replace it. But that still doesn't fix the leak, and you keep losing water.

And that is what it is. Trying to replacing the "wrong" kind of water by the "right" kind of water to repair Wikipedia. But the problems will remain the same with this system! Because this does't fix the system error(s), it is just pouring more and more "right" water in the same, leaking bucket, without repairing that bucket first!
They even didn't locate first where the leak is in there system, and you can't leave that to the same crowd who causes the chaos. They are just using the failing wikipedia system to solve there problems, to patch the bucket, what is of course a complete leak of vision. And a complete waste of time and money, because this will solve of course nothing at the end.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups

Post by CrowsNest » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:13 pm

BilCat is most definitely the wrong kind of water, as a sample of quotes from his talk page header reveals....
If you want me to take your opinions and edits seriously, you ought to register.

If you're [sic] feel the compulsion to respond everywhere your name is mentioned, even after being asked not to, that's a clear sign of immaturity, or worse. Grow up, or leave.

Please realize that, in many cases, unexplained edits are indistinguishable from vandalism!
Even a bucket with no holes, soon has holes after these sort of people have lived in it for a while. He's been there almost 12 years.

See also......

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... f=18&t=582

Massive talk page headers like that, listing what are essentially rules of engagement, especially when they contain clauses which contradict concrete Wikipedia policy, are invariably a sign the user in question is a complete cock.

Unsurprisingly, 'revert, unsourced' is how he spends much of his day on Wikipedia. Easy to do, much easier than accepting that, as a 12 year veteran, it is your responsibility to ensure no opportunity to retain sourceable content or teach a willing contributor is missed.

These people only care about what is easiest for them, they're not the people you ask for ideas on how to keep Wikipedia stocked with good editors, given the obvious fact there will be a turnover. You ask the good editors. If you can spot them. The WMF cannot spot them.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2018-20/Working Groups

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 pm

I don't know him, I just liked the quote. But something else. I just read this discussion in the Village pump.

And what wonders me the most is the position of WMF.

Hi everybody, since some people have been asking about it, I wanted to confirm our position very briefly: the Wikimedia Foundation is deeply concerned about requirements for mandatory upload filtering to fight copyright violations or other problematic content that could appear in the future. Therefore, we oppose Art. 13 of the proposed Copyright Directive due to its potential harm to freedom of expression, user privacy, and collaboration on the internet. We believe that a general monitoring obligation for platforms would threaten user rights. Best, --JGerlach (WMF) (talk) 06:16, 12 June 2018 (UTC)

So? That's fine, but does it change anything? Because WMF is rather small American foundation, and the European Parlement represented the European citizens. So, what are your rights in Europe, WMF? Non! Zero! Niente! It's European law, and the jurisdiction of the American regulation stops at the borders of America!
There is not any, any vision there in WMF! We all knew this regulation is coming, and now, now they start like a small child to cry: MAMMY, I DON"T WANT TO GO TO BED, MAMMY! MAMMY! BHUUUU, HUUU, HUUU!

Because that is the level they are talking at. They are talking like a child four years old, also in that strategy discussion. Because in 2030 they are history, they don't exist in 2030 anymore.

It's all so extreem! Extreem stupide to be exacte.