View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ten things you probably didn't know about Wikipedia 

I said it before, I doubt if they are interested. But I'll will post it tomorrow, yesterday I also wrote a topic about The Wiki Cabal. Many wikipedians and also chapter members and sysops and Arbs have no idea what is going on, Crow. And that is the reason I think it is important to put the attention on Arthurs blog and your posting.

. Image
.Winner of
The SanBan

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 pm

Cool, I can now put internationally published on my C.V. 8-)

It would be interesting to see if the Dutch critics would agree with the list, or have their own issues they think is more relevant to the public.

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:47 pm

We are sorry to announce that Wikipedia has made an arbitrary decision to delete dozens of articles and interviews on the Colonial Parkway Murders page with no notice to the Colonial Parkway Murders families.

These are articles and interviews that many of us have shed considerable tears over 32 years.

Some Wikipedia editor who calls himself "Spintendo" has decided that families of 8 murder victims are somehow promoting ourselves by putting up articles about our loved ones unsolved murders.

We ask that you refrain from using Wikipedia in our case, and we will provide an alternative page in the future.

Bill Thomas,
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Psyop

Welcome, Bill. Please DO NOT EVER expect "fair treatment" on Wikipedia. You might be better off posting your own wiki or blog about the Colonial shootings. Make Wikipedia quote your content. Public humiliation is one of the few effective motivators of Wiki-nerds.

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Eric:

Thanks so much. We are learning the hard way what a nightmare Wikipedia can be.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathy Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:49 pm

Wikipedia is a random number generation, Bill. It doesn't have to be even personal, or something against you or the other people who are involved. It can even be a person who hasn't an idea where it is about, sometimes it can even be someone from East Moldavia, it is imposible to say.

I think the advice of Eric is the best one, make a nice, good looking memorial website, give some money for it if you are not able to do that yourself, and let it look professional. Then there is a secondaire source, Wikipedians are robots and the probelm is solved.
But anyway I think at the long run this is a much better way to commemorate your brother and the other victims of this tragedy. Keep it in your one hands and not in the hands of those wikiidiots.

. Image
.Winner of
The SanBan

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am

Re Bilthom56

Wow, I don't want to trivialise the awful suffering here, but it really does show how easily Wikipedians verge towards becoming serial killers themselves. Maybe Spintendo thinks the free encyclopaedia is an end that justifies the means, or maybe it is another case of arsehole cruise control. In the latter case, he can't help himself. In the former case, he is plainly dopey - because what is the great end that justifies this behaviour? Free knowledge? Well, if you can afford a computer or tablet, Wikipedia is 'free'. If time is money, and you can't afford to spend a few minutes researching the internet, or (God forbid) a few hours visiting the local library, Wikipedia is 'free'. If you can't afford the existential crisis that comes with a bit of self-doubt, Wikipedia is 'free' etc etc etc.

The reality is (I suspect) that Wikipedia is rooted in the drug culture. If you buy your drugs on the street, and inject or sniff or imbibe stuff manufactured in somebody's garage, or pumped into your neighbourhood via some criminal network, imbibing info from an unregulated 'encyclopaedia' is not a big deal. Anyway, it's 'free'.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:18 pm

I don't believe you can blame Bilthom56 for not knowing how toxic Wikipedia is. And for free doesn't mean you can make a chaos as big as you want, at least not in Europe, you will be judged often in the same way as if you did paid work. And is Wikipedia for free with all that begging banners and a turn over of hundreds of million dollars? Because that is something I doubt.

Anyway, the best thing Bill can do is like we said before pay something to have a decent memory side for your brother and forget Wikipedia.

. Image
.Winner of
The SanBan

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:08 pm

Re Graaf

You understand my English better than I understand your Dutch, so well done! I've got other things to be doing just now, but I am engaged in some serious task avoidance.
:P

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:46 pm

The problem is standard English doesn't exist. Crow and Arthur with there British English are much easier to understand than some American participants for me. I have collected a document with only typical American-English expressions, because they are often very funny.

And Dutch, who in this world speak Dutch. Holland, a open air museum, and it is COLD here and very rainy.
I think with all I know now if I had the choice I had chosen to be born in California. A few days ago I was looking on Google maps around in Lakeport where Eric is living, and yes, I liked it very much. The only thing what was strange to me was the roads where symmetric, just like they where drawn on a drawing board, but for the rest it looked vey familiar to me. I absolute didn't had the idea he, I am thousands of kilometers from home. In a way it looked very European, much more than for instance Greece.

. Image
.Winner of
The SanBan

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next