Real data on admin numbers

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Real data on admin numbers

Post by Dysklyver » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:08 pm

Finally someone, in this case Amorymeltzer, has done some numbers to show that there almost no admins.

Previously there was a highly misleading survey maintained by Widefox. For various reasons to do with how an admin was deemed active (one edit every 2 months), this did not work very well.

The new "s-index" data charts show a scored number of admins.

The tl;dr is that in 2007 there were 180 admins who did something, but now there's only 100.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Real data on admin numbers

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:50 am

On a brief first look, it appears to show that the total number of admin actions are stable, which must mean over time, more admins are having to do a greater share of the work?

Which is good for HTD. Stress and lack of time are two things that practically guarantee they ignore WP:ADMIN (in terms of the ones who even bother to try and follow it ordinarily).

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:54 am

CrowsNest wrote:On a brief first look, it appears to show that the total number of admin actions are stable, which must mean over time, more admins are having to do a greater share of the work?

Which is good for HTD. Stress and lack of time are two things that practically guarantee they ignore WP:ADMIN (in terms of the ones who even bother to try and follow it ordinarily).

The implication from Amory is that Adminbots have been doing more, but there are definite limits to this. I feel that a dozen or so admins obsessively do most the work, each in their own little area.

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:42 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:On a brief first look, it appears to show that the total number of admin actions are stable, which must mean over time, more admins are having to do a greater share of the work?

The implication from Amory is that Adminbots have been doing more, but there are definite limits to this. I feel that a dozen or so admins obsessively do most the work, each in their own little area.

I would agree with this assessment and we see that in things like DYK and the Signpost not to mention Checkuser where Bbb23 is doing about 10 times more checks than every other CU combined. Of course I think those numbers indicate an abusive tendency to use the CU tools without cause and I think it's only a matter of time before that comes back on him, but time will tell.

At the end of the day, this overwork in particular areas by some admins leads to stress and burnout and this contributes to the toxic environment.
#BbbGate