Wikipedia software

For WMF employee / slave nonsense, developer hijinks, and MediaWiki and related software screw-ups.
Soham321
Sucks Fan

Wikipedia software

Post by Soham321 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:39 pm

Last edited by Soham321 on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WWHP
Sucks

Re: Wikipedia software is designed to encourage conflict

Post by WWHP » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 pm

Thanks for restarting this discussion. I was apart of the previous one on WS-1, and actually wanted to get back with it.

Recently, I realized there is even a much broader problem to WikiMedia software than just Wikipedia. So many other wiki's adopt this same platform, which then get used to leverage various misinformation campaigns against other editors, expanding these 'wiki wars' off Wikipedia across the web.

All of these wikis, from RationalWiki, conservapedia, metapedia, you name it are even more free to abuse the software not just for misinformation or cultural propaganda, but the distribution of this misinformation through Google search ranking.

If: WikiMedia had a wiser engagement platform
If: Google search ranking was able to disable ranking to webpages distributed misinformation programmatically

We would not have the majority of the problems we have today with online misinformation and trolling where it matters.

I totally agree with their software being primed for conflict. Google PR increases that value, because the prize is easy user discovery in search.

It's all weaponized now, sadly.

I posted this http://wikipediawehaveaproblem.com/2017/03/adrienne-lafrance-the-trolls-are-winning/ I really want to continue to focus on the software problem of WikiMedia, and hold them responsible.

There is a shift now, with the whole fake news election problem. Facebook pushed back at first, and they even buckled and realize they have to take greater responsibility.

We all know the Wikipedia community, by *software design*, will never come to such a consensus.

So the software designer is responsible.

Cheers
WWHP