Predict the next part of Wikipedia to be dumped

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Predict the next part of Wikipedia to be dumped

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am

In a desperate attempt to survive, like a cancer riddled leper, Wikipedia is hacking off bits of itself hand over fist. I feel we need to do our part, and hasten this streamlining processing by suggesting what to chop off next.

My top three picks.....

Jimmy's talk page. Totally pointless, massively distracting, of unclear status, and occasionally very embarassing. Magnet for trolls, virtually abandoned by its owner. Nothing more than a place for a handful of drama obsessed Wikipediots to grandstand about generic sociopolitical issues, which have very little direct impact on Wikipedia.

In The News. Wikipedia is not a newspaper (not even just for things of an arbitrarily determined "significance" which is always skewed by systemic bias), nor an obituary column. All that remains is the utility of offering a direct link to in demand pages, and that seems dubious given how few things make it onto the item, and how long it takes to get them there.

Talk:Main Page. The ERRORS section aside, which is transcluded anyway, this is misused far more than it is used properly, any responses to the latter invariably being canned. Could easily be replaced by a FAQ, and already features copious directions to more relevant pages. If seen as a valuable welcome mat and testing area, a sandbox of sorts, it can only be harming Wikipedia, as responses, if they come at all, are usually jargon filled, and/or aggressive/dismissive of the stoopid n00b. Basically it is just a place for assholes to yell SOFIXIT at people way smarter than them (smart enough not to have become Wikipedia editors).

In all the above cases, problems exist not because Administrators are not around, but because the very worst Administrators on Wikipedia, the really hopeless ones who have no clue how to attract or retain editors, who have zero communication or interpersonal skills (worse than the low standard set by the average Wikicop), are inexorably drawn to these high profile places, presumably because they offer lots of opportunities to bully newcomers and outcasts, and less scrutiny than say AN/I or the Help Desk.

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Re: Predict the next part of Wikipedia to be dumped

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm

I will add either the AFC helpdesk or the NPR noticeboard, one of which will die when the two process get merged.