"The Weight of Chains", films I and II

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

"The Weight of Chains", films I and II

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 pm

These are documentaries made by an ex-citizen of Yugoslavia on how his country was destroyed from within and without, both during the civil war and the aftermath.

The first film from 2010.

The second film, 2014.

I see what happened in Yugoslavia as an extension of the secret wars Reagan ran against Central America, which was an extension of Nixon's secret addition to the Vietnam War (the bombing of Cambodia and support of Lon Nol.) Except this time, it involves financial chicanery behind the scenes* as the wars raged, and the dissolution of any national financial sovereignty of states like Kosovo and Macedonia (the financial controller of Kosovo isn't even a Kosavar, and the "national bank" is an account in a German one!)

* There was a load of sleazy financial dealings during the Vietnam War from the Diệm years on, but the goal was to set up "extraction industries" (banana exporting, mining, fishing, etc.) in Vietnam, not the game of loans, food exports to a Yugoslavia that had food surpluses, and other insanity that marked the 1990s-2000s.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: "The Weight of Chains", films I and II

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:29 am

I might add there are dozens of blogs by survivors of the Bosnian war and various Balkan disputes. Trying to "tell the true story" and so forth, often in English to get a large audience. Some are good and some are not so good, and sadly most of them are ignored/forgotten today. Most notorious being Bruce Sterling's wife Jasmina Tešanović, who still runs a private log and is published on Boing Boing occasionally:

https://jasminatesanovic.wordpress.com/