Wildfires in California

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Wildfires in California

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 am

https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/tienduizen ... oogle.com/

It is constant in the Netherlands in the news. Are there no newspapers where you guys are living?

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Re: Wildfires in California

Post by Guido den Broeder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:59 pm

One cause of these fires is that California planted lots of production forests, but actual timber production is low.

Several of my friends in the LA area are close to a fire, but so far they didn't have to evacuate. Some schools and roads have been closed.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:09 pm

That is the same in Greece, they plant a lot of mono cultures for paper industry and for this, pellet fuel. (Dutch)

https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/boze-ameri ... ~a84b8eed/

This destroy the American nature.

But beside this, Eric, should it not wise to install a solar system? I heard they now use old Tesla battery's for storage. Because this is a annual problem and I don't see a solution in the near future.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 pm

This is in Dutch, but it give a lot of background. The probelms should be caused among other things by PG&E.

‘Het versterkt de angst’, zo schreef de San Francisco Chronicle maandag, ‘dat delen van Californië bijna te gevaarlijk worden om in te wonen’.

Google translate wrote:It reinforces fear, "wrote the San Francisco Chronicle Monday," that parts of California are becoming almost too dangerous to live in.

https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-achter ... ~b9d3e851/

A disaster movie is the title of the article, do you guys realise friends of us are living there?

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:50 pm

New video.

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Many of those powerlines are old and poorly maintained, which explains the sparks. The company responsible for them is nearly bankrupt.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:02 pm

It was indeed mentioned intuit Volkskrant article, Guido. It was in not way I what had expected in the county of Apple, Google and Tesla and other high tech firms.
What I have understand now they just have cut the power off, a desaster for the economy.

I think it would be wise if Eric instal a solar system. Or to move to a other state if posible, it is simple too hot there......

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:57 am

Despite I will boycot this forum from now on (Steln knows the motivation) I want to express how sorry I am for Eric and the other peeps in California where they are going through at the moment. This is really shocking!

https://www.ad.nl/buitenland/grimmige-b ... ~a6fb6331/

Think not only about the people, but also about the wildlife, the nature and the air pollution. And of course the economical damage and the personal belongings of people what are or in danger or lost.

I wish you all the best Eric and hope the problems soon will end.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 am

Our power was shut off for 96 HOURS this week. And the temperature plummeted. Beautiful warm sunny days, cold dark nights (no moon). Charming. I had to survive with a propane camp stove and a small generator.

And speaking of Guido's mention of PG&E (now the most hated company in the state), consider their stock price:
pge-stock.jpg
pge-stock.jpg (22.62 KiB) Viewed 4856 times

Analysts led by Praful Mehta at Citigroup say there's a 75% chance PG&E's stock plummets all the way to zero. The firm slashed its 12-month price target to $5 and expressed surprise that the judge took away PG&E's right to control its own bankruptcy.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028593816

JuiceBeetle
Sucks Warrior

Post by JuiceBeetle » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:44 am