Nutty cult: Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Re: Nutty cult: Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Co

Post by Strelnikov » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 am

Flip Flopped wrote:
Strelnikov wrote:
Flip Flopped wrote:In the early to mid-1980s the fundies were still reluctant to discuss homeschooling. Around ten years later was the beginning of quiverfull being openly discussed.

I remember first hearing about homeschooling the day my class came back from a trip up north to a Christian School "contest week" during the latter part of the Reagan Administration and all I could think was "They can be dorkier than this?" And you have to know that at that point I was half-convinced most of the members of that place were ex-cultists.
Having visited a homeschooling home around that time, I'm left wondering why they felt the need to put a tablecloth over the television. I understand they didn't want to promote watching it, but was it so unseemly that it needed to be covered?

Something I never wrote about, but Fundies in the 1970s-80s really hated TV, though they had it to watch the news, and if the Fundie father had money, to watch religious programming on C-band satellite television or regular cable. I never saw anybody do this with TVs when I was at school (if I went over to a classmate's house, and I did see the interior of two teacher's homes). Here is a nutball revivalist type (Larry Brown) ranting about TV and the Internet:

The church is Jack Hyles' First Baptist in Hammond, Indiana.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 am

Television is the eye of the devil, and was, and maybe is, strikt forbidden in the fundamenteel christian church in Holland. We call it zwarte kousen,black stockings. Watching tv is a sin. And the American fundamentalist church is based on the Dutch one. Their roots are in Holland.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:40 am

That preacher sure put on a show. I've never attended a sermon like that.

Graaf, is there a church you were raised in or currently attend? Do you think the split between Protestants and Catholics in the Netherlands is more severe than here in the states?

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:00 am

There's just so much angry, venom, and hate with these fundamentalist preachers. I couldn't stand sitting there listening to such bullies. There used to be this one on public access my grandmother (RIP) used to watch and he would go on and on and on about how everyone was so sinful and never gave all to their church. "I see people buying new cars, but they never give to their church!" Wha...? :shock:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:02 am

Graaf Statler wrote:Television is the eye of the devil, and was, and maybe is, strikt forbidden in the fundamenteel christian church in Holland. We call it zwarte kousen,black stockings. Watching tv is a sin. And the American fundamentalist church is based on the Dutch one. Their roots are in Holland.

No, the Fundamentalist movement in America is described well in this Encyclopaedia Britannica article. The American version of Fundamentalism emerged from hard-line Baptists and other Protestant sects that began in Britain in the 19th century. Your "zwarte kousen" sound like they came from one of the Dutch Protestant churches and just moved further into that authoritarian, theocratic lifestyle. They may have done this on their own, or they might have read about the British and American churches and decided to work on similar lines - I'm guessing it was more convergent evolution than mere copying. In any case, this sort of Fundamentalism burns itself out after a few decades, leaving only the firmest believers, so you have large church buildings with small church populations.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Flip Flopped
Sucks Warrior

Post by Flip Flopped » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:47 am

Strelnikov wrote:
Graaf Statler wrote:Television is the eye of the devil, and was, and maybe is, strikt forbidden in the fundamenteel christian church in Holland. We call it zwarte kousen,black stockings. Watching tv is a sin. And the American fundamentalist church is based on the Dutch one. Their roots are in Holland.

No, the Fundamentalist movement in America is described well in this Encyclopaedia Britannica article. The American version of Fundamentalism emerged from hard-line Baptists and other Protestant sects that began in Britain in the 19th century. Your "zwarte kousen" sound like they came from one of the Dutch Protestant churches and just moved further into that authoritarian, theocratic lifestyle. They may have done this on their own, or they might have read about the British and American churches and decided to work on similar lines - I'm guessing it was more convergent evolution than mere copying. In any case, this sort of Fundamentalism burns itself out after a few decades, leaving only the firmest believers, so you have large church buildings with small church populations.
We do have pockets of Dutch Calvinist/Reform Protestants in the U.S. They are powerful within the evangelical movement (Calvin College). They are also very strict as are their towns/colleges/schools. My hunch is that the roots of today's young, restless, and reformed movement lie there, but I haven't researched it.