147.435 - The Repeater Beyond Human Comprehension

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: 147.435 - The Repeater Beyond Human Comprehension

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:27 am

Strelnikov wrote:And the bitter, semi-coherent rage factory that is the .435 flamebook:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... fox-b-1-ab
They don't let people in, so you have to look at it using webcache.

Meh, just another website full of loons screaming at each other. This stuff works much better when it's live on the air -- only then it goes from "just a stupid soap opera" into that special level of madness from openly breaking federal law. Keep in mind that the FCC has been shutting down or diddling all kinds of frequency bands so they can auction them off to the highest bidder for whatever commercial use. The ARRL and lobbyists have been fighting off attempts to yank amateur bands for resale. International treaties be damned, if the Feds smell a quick billion dollars, they will sell off anything that isn't already occupied by commercial users. It's being done very badly too.
http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/tv-stations-channels-faq/

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:43 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
Strelnikov wrote:And the bitter, semi-coherent rage factory that is the .435 flamebook:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... fox-b-1-ab
They don't let people in, so you have to look at it using webcache.

Meh, just another website full of loons screaming at each other. This stuff works much better when it's live on the air -- only then it goes from "just a stupid soap opera" into that special level of madness from openly breaking federal law. Keep in mind that the FCC has been shutting down or diddling all kinds of frequency bands so they can auction them off to the highest bidder for whatever commercial use. The ARRL and lobbyists have been fighting off attempts to yank amateur bands for resale. International treaties be damned, if the Feds smell a quick billion dollars, they will sell off anything that isn't already occupied by commercial users. It's being done very badly too.
http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/tv-stations-channels-faq/

My counter is that the ham bands were always very small compared to the rest of the spectrum, and the frequencies are incompatible with the cell phone system except at the narrowest microwave end (which has been ruled as an experimental set of frequencies by the ARRL). Also as it is, on shortwave some of the bands are dual use by 10PM PST because the Chinese, US religious, and other Asian states are running their transmitters and they use the top part of the 40 and 80 meter bands, and that carries to the US until nearly 10AM before the ionosphere fades enough.

Thanks to his screwing up Net Neutrality and being a general telcoms whore, Ajit Pai will probably be removed when the power shifts, possibly before that (I also don't see Betsy DeVos lasting thanks to her outstanding incompatibility with her job....or any job, for that matter.) It takes a special sort of stupid for an FCC Commissioner to make so many enemies, but Pai went there.
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:23 am

Crowell is DONE! He LOST his FCC appeal!!!!!

Read it and weep tears of joy: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-12A1.pdf

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Strelnikov wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:23 am
Crowell is DONE! He LOST his FCC appeal!!!!!
Read it and weep tears of joy: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-12A1.pdf
Well, no tears of joy for me, but the decision appears to be entirely in order. Crowell wasted thousands of dollars worth of governmental resources pursuing this mess, and lost over his refusal to travel to D.C., without an actual showing that it would be a hardship. Maybe it would have been, but that would probably require two conditions:
  • Poor health, which could have been claimed and apparently was not.
  • Complete lack of public support for his position, because GoFundMe does exist and works, if there is public support.
On the other hand, if it makes you happy, Strelnokov, that's nice. We want our admins happy. Very interesting story! Yay, Strelnikov! now, where were we ... oh, yeah, that mess. Well I won't mention it here. Not at all. No sirree! Not me!

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 pm

My comment above was cited by the EVilgent, who is so accustomed to sarcastic contempt that I think he imagined the above was "disdainful." It was not. I really did enjoy both the original post here, and the FCC ruling, and really am happy to see you and Eric writing more here.

One person writing can create interesting comment, two is better, and three is an effing community.

In general, I'm happy to see people happy! Even if I don't agree, and here I did agree.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 pm
My comment above was cited by the EVilgent, who is so accustomed to sarcastic contempt that I think he imagined the above was "disdainful." It was not. I really did enjoy both the original post here, and the FCC ruling, and really am happy to see you and Eric writing more here.

One person writing can create interesting comment, two is better, and three is an effing community.

In general, I'm happy to see people happy! Even if I don't agree, and here I did agree.
You opened the door and allowed Vigilant, the Inspector Clouseau of WO-MB, into WikiTop. Ban him with extreme prejudice. He, like Billy Crowell, is a time and money suck.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:17 pm

EVilgent is not a Wikitop user. That material is being copied verbatim (slightly condensed) from WPO as documentation of what is allowed there without any restraint. Any wikitop user could object, it's in user space there. Zoloft objected to "private" material being copied. But it is not really private if any registered user can see it. We could tell from referrals here; I don't have access to that data. (Are people coming here from WPO or from Wikitop?)

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:55 am

Abd wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:17 pm
EVilgent is not a Wikitop user. That material is being copied verbatim (slightly condensed) from WPO as documentation of what is allowed there without any restraint. Any wikitop user could object, it's in user space there. Zoloft objected to "private" material being copied. But it is not really private if any registered user can see it. We could tell from referrals here; I don't have access to that data. (Are people coming here from WPO or from Wikitop?)
Good, you are just quoting that idiot.....I have no idea if people are coming in here from elsewhere. If you want to advertise Wikitop, I would use Reddit's WikiInaction subreddit because a lot of the IT-type online outlets are unhappy with any sort of Wikipedia criticism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:40 am

Abd wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:20 pm
My comment above was cited by the EVilgent, who is so accustomed to sarcastic contempt that I think he imagined the above was "disdainful."
Pathetic
If you want to advertise Wikitop, I would use Reddit's WikiInaction subreddit because a lot of the IT-type online outlets are unhappy with any sort of Wikipedia criticism.
Good idea, I have also referred a few people to Wikitop privately.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:32 pm

The above attracted the attention of the Grand Panjandrum, the Grand Troll behind the wannabe troll. Sticking to at-least-thin-relevance here:
Midsize Jake wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 am
From his latest comment on their thread about ham radio that he's somehow managed to hijack into being about himself:
Abd on WikipediaSucks wrote:Zoloft objected to "private" material being copied. But it is not really private if any registered user can see it.
[...]
["..." covers lotsa tl;dr]

Trolling is visible, rancid, larded through that full comment. I did not make this thread about myself, I think the thread originator and other users here would agree.

And this is also not about me, but about that trollsite, hijacked from the original critical community by ... Midsize Jake. That entire WPO topic is about this site and my appointment as a mod, it's pushing toward 200 comments, and I could write a book deconstructing what's been written already. But not now and not here. Thanks for your support, folks. It means much to me.