Is Reddit evil?

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Re: Is Reddit evil?

Post by AndrewForson » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 am

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I will say this for Reddit: it makes a great host for workplace horror stories, legal battles, and other fine examples of "Ecce Homo" at its best/worst.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MaliciousCompl ... s_fingers/

I've got another one that Strelnikov has seen--it's so epic I'm saving it for my blog.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:50 pm

New one, this time a classic employer-from-hell thing (and this is why I am self-employed, Ive worked for even worse people).

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/co ... ime_i_was/

Dysklyver
Sucks Critic

Post by Dysklyver » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Yes that is legitimately evil.

And a good reason to keep work/personal things defined in an employment relationship.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:54 am

I work for a company that provides very little training and very little communication. I rely much on second-hand knowledge from co-workers and managers. Also, what information/training I do get gets contradicted by corporate, managers, and other co-workers. The subreddit dedicated to my company has given me most of the information I need to get things done. Of course, the company hates it since most of the threads are about how terrible the company and its client/customers can be.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:52 am

Your user-brigading story for the day (I'd post more of this but it's almost a daily occurrence)....on the front page right now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comment ... ancreatic/
This thread has been locked, and will stay that way until all of reddit figures out how to be mad about things without brigading and spamming whatever poor secretary runs the phone and email system for this police department. This thread has more comments than the town in question has people, and eight times as many upvotes. The video is extremely popular and will inspire enough action and news articles without spamming the police department's contact information across this thread. Have some fucking perspective.

What a friendly little town. (ugh)
This is from my hometown of Bolivar, Missouri. We have people saying this man probably deserved what happened to him and trying to come up with every reason why what happened is okay. Oh, and comments like “tough luck”. Honestly doesn’t surprise me that something like this would’ve happened there.

And yes, it made the local news.
https://www.kansas.com/latest-news/arti ... 13394.html
A Bolivar police receptionist who was not identified by name by the newspaper said she’d been “called every name in the book” by irate callers since the search.

http://bolivarmonews.com/news/pot-goes- ... 8491c.html

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Thu May 02, 2019 4:05 am

Today Reddit finally banned r/cringeanarchy, a longtime troll haven.

But in the very thread where they announced it would be banned, someone posted a list of UNbanned subreddits that are even worse....

cringethread.jpg
cringethread.jpg (263.61 KiB) Viewed 4657 times

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:03 am

The founder of Reddit is preparing (or was preparing?) for the Apocalypse? How ironic.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... super-rich
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

CMAwatch
Sucks Critic

Post by CMAwatch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 pm

#BbbGate
Weaponizing WP:G5
Oops! Didn't think we'd see? It's right there on WikipediaSucks.co!
ericbarbour wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:22 am
[Wikipedia is] a stupid video game, and the "encyclopedia" is an accidental byproduct.

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:41 pm

I have low trust for anyone who categorizes friends as "innocent" and anyone in conflict with their own ideas as "evil."
Reddit is a private company. I got a much closer look at how such companies operate with Quora, which has the best writing on the internet, my opinion. If you know how to use the site, otherwise you will see piles of junk. They used to have community moderation. They replaced that with paid staff, but there is a trade-off with that. The site is huge and very active. So if you complain about someone's Answer or Comment, or if someone complains about yours, the staff member who sees it might have a minute to look at it. They are not going to consider context, they will only look at the Answer or comment itself, and if it is long, cursorily. Top Writers with high internet experience, trolled by trolls, as trolls will do, would, from habit, give them a piece of their mind, with high skill, at insult, thus violating the only basic policy on Quora: Be Nice, Be Respectful. One of the most popular Top Writers was actually banned for a time, though eventually that was lifted. Writers learned to ignore trolls. On Quora, you have the right to prevent Comments on your answers, you can block individuals, you can delete such comments, it's one-button, and what Quora wants you to do with offensive commentary is to report it. Not to engage and argue.

As well, people who decide to be the site police and want to stop bad behavior, if they make a big fuss, often end up being warned . . . or banned.

Now, on Reddit, you can start your own subreddit. It's trivial. But if you want to use someone else's sub, you are subject to their rules and decisions, arbitrary or not, fair or not. Reddit administration does not want users taking up their time (staff time is expensive!) with, yes, whining. What whining really means is "complaining." And complainers always think they have good cause, right?

When I see truly offensive comments, I report them, and accounts get banned. I'm quite sure I've been reported, because there are people with a mission to destroy everything Abd. In one sub where I'm very active, it's been noticed that my comments are being downvoted, while others are upvoting. In fact, my posts are popular, and I've been getting awards ("Gold"), at the same time as some complain that I write too much. (Or ironically, not enough, if I'm brief.) On Quora, I found that when people are actually interested in a question, they appreciate detailed answers, and I know that not only by upvotes but also by who follows me. When you follow someone on Quora, your feed shows you everything they post. You don't follow someone unless you like what they write! (Or, I suppose, you think of them as a dangerous animal, you watch so you can warn.)

I suggest that if you want to find success in social media (and Reddit is social media), that you learn to write what people will enjoy or find useful, and that you stay away from stupid conflicts. I have gotten involved in conflicts when (1) the protection of others was involved, others were actually being strongly abused -- worse than being blocked -- there is thus (2) a community obligation, and (3) since I have the knowledge and skill and where it is possible to act, I become, therefore responsible, where inaction is, in my book, reprehensible.

No whining allowed, but action.