Catch-all Google thread

Discussion of cultural, religious, political or irrational subjects of any type, such as UFOs, wacko cults, mad dictators, horrible cult bands, ridiculous publications, whatever
ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Catch-all Google thread

Post by ericbarbour » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:38 pm

I use Firefox whenever possible, partly because Google's "Chrime" was notorious for feeding info back to Google servers, and for not accepting third-party ad blockers or security plugins. It turns out that things are even worse:

https://news.slashdot.org/story/19/04/2 ... edium=feed
Nightingale is not the first Firefox team member to come forward and make such accusations. In July 2018, Mozilla Program Manager Chris Peterson accused Google of intentionally slowing down YouTube performance on Firefox. He revealed that both Firefox and Edge were superior when loading YouTube content when compared to Chrome, and in order to counteract this performance issue, Google switched to using a JavaScript library for YouTube that they knew wasn't supported by Firefox.

At this point, it's very hard not to believe or take Nightingale's comments seriously. Slowly but surely, Google is becoming the new Microsoft, and Chrome is slowly turning into the new IE, an opinion that more and more users are starting to share.

Already noticed that Firefox no longer loads or plays YouTube videos properly. It keeps playing 2 delayed soundtracks at once, or simply hangs up with "Video Unavailable". Nice to know it was Larry'n'Sergey going full asshole.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Google now seems to be indexing WP talk pages, which is a relatively new thing IIRC.

Googling "hakuna matata" could be a common thing with the upcoming release of another Lion King film. When i googled it, the list of questions in the "people also ask" section includes the question "Is Hakuna Matata in the Bible?"

Is Hakuna Matata in the Bible?
hakuna matata in the christian bible
Actually the sentence "don't worry" are written in the bible too.
Talk:Hakuna matata - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AHakuna_matata

Unless you look closer, you might think that the answer is "yes, the sentence are in the Bible".

Looking at the talk page, it's more clear:

hakuna matata in the christian bible
Actually the sentence "don't worry" are written in the bible too. In paul's letter to timotius (chapter 4, vers 6).

That's quite interresting, because many christians worry a lot. Obviously too much! —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 85.82.201.47 (talk) 23:01, 24 January 2007 (UTC).

I checked; not so - niether of Paul's letters to Timothy (I or II) 4:6 contain the phrase "don't worry". — Preceding unsigned comment added by 72.186.56.137 (talk) 12:11, 20 July 2019 (UTC)

The answer to whether the phrase is in the Bible is "no", but i found it interesting that Google seems to index WP talk pages now.

badmachine
Sucker

Post by badmachine » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Google search for "shovelware" returns:

software or online content that has been added to a CD or placed on the Internet without having been altered so as to suit the new medium.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia is the second link, and it makes more sense:

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:26 pm

Too hilarious to pass up: "How Google Ruined The Internet"
https://www.superhighway98.com/google
Remember that story about the Polish dentist who pulled out all of her ex-boyfriend's teeth in an act of revenge? It was complete and utter bullshit. 100% fabricated. No one knows who wrote it.

Nevertheless, it was picked up by Fox News, the Los Angeles Times and many other publishers. That was eight years ago, yet when I search now for "dentist pulled ex boyfriends teeth," I get a featured snippet that quotes ABC News' original, uncorrected story.

Google has become a card catalog that is constantly being reordered by an angry, misinformed mob.
Made the front page of Slashdot
https://search.slashdot.org/story/20/04 ... e-internet
Ouchie:
That being said, if you think google ruined the web, then I urge you not to look at what facebook did. That, my friend, is pure evil.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 pm

Gosh, we hardly ever hear about Jim Hood anymore.

"The man Google loves to hate"

Normally a "moderate Democrat" (whatever the hell that is) with a history of prosecuting corrupt officials gets a sweet and loving fondle from Wikipedia. Hood is not much different, except for this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hood# ... estigation

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:20 pm

Speaking of "unlawful and/or dangerous content"......if you ever need a deeply rotten story to illustrate how Google can ruin people's lives via manipulation? And also shows how very stupid employers blindly Google people's names for "facts"? Plus Section 230?

Here you go.

https://archive.is/URqHY

Google "Guy Babcock" and you get
guybabcock.png
guybabcock.png (161.99 KiB) Viewed 3469 times