Wikipediocracy is Down and Up after unanticipated update

For serious discussion of the "major" forum for Wikipedia criticism and how it fails.
Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Wikipediocracy is Down and Up after unanticipated update

Post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Well in my first time trying to access the Wikipediocracy in a couple weeks it looks like the site is broken. Everything starts with stuff like this:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
...N times
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
...N times
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
...3 times
Last edited by Kumioko on Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed most of the repetition
#BbbGate

sashi
Sucks Critic

Re: Wikipediocracy site broken

Post by sashi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Think they had a WPO hackathon in one of the backrooms at the wiki-conference? ^^

Kumioko
Sucks Mod

Post by Kumioko » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:16 pm

sashi wrote:Think they had a WPO hackathon in one of the backrooms at the wiki-conference? ^^

I would say the timing of this with Wikiconference NA is, at the very least, somewhat ironic.
#BbbGate

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Last post:

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 am

thekohser
Yup, defo broke.

Regular procedure is they have to wait until the afternoon to get anything fixed, because that is when Jake turns his phone and laptop on. Because Trump.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:50 pm

And I think tomorrow is actually "programming" day at wiki-con. Look out, Jake!

On the other hand, maybe it was just Jake tinkering around under the hood trying to calibrate the new-fangled <font> colors for his vintage amber screen?

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm

looks fine to me at this point.
Actually, looking more deeply, some pages display that error message, but then the actual page appears below it. The site is still working, but with that glitch, at least as to what I've seen so far.
Last edited by Abd on Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The End
Sucks Fan

Post by The End » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Some of the posts in threads have disappeared. All text is in a larger font. Refreshing briefly brings up the "Root" errors Kumioko is talking about. That's what I'm seeing in Firefox, anyway.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"I am a dark bouquet of neuroses..."
- Jerry Holkins, Penny Arcade

Abd
Sucks Warrior

Post by Abd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:29 pm

I've seen crap like this happen when php was upgraded to the next revision. Quick fix, downgrade. Better, fix the software.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2367356

Many possible causes.

Guido den Broeder
Sucks

Post by Guido den Broeder » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Php can occasionally give problems when you delete posts, forums or users. But this looks like an upgrade issue.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:29 pm

It's unsettling that it had to occur just after a post about me-me-me. I've since been topic-banned from GMO, agricultural chemicals and from any interaction w/my good friend Tryptofish (musical version).

It is currently impossible not only to read but to post over there. What a strange end to WPO. (to quote Stanistani, "I've seen a lot of forum wars, but...")

I'm sure it's just a spanner lost in the works somewhere. Happy Armistice Day to all who celebrate it.