New hobby topic

For whatever
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

New hobby topic

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 pm

The formal topic was complete unreadable because I had used TinyPic, what was for free in that time. But all of a sudden they wanted money for a account and they putted all the pictures out of the air if you didn't pay.
What is not necessary to pay, because php has a build in mode for images.

So, a fresh new wikishitless topic about LGB toy trains and other fun matters.
And I have named this topic hobby topic because the world of the by Madam Gender named vacuum tube guys is much wider than only LGB toy trains of course.

Have fun with it!

suckadmin
Janitor

Re: New hobby topic

Post by suckadmin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:58 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:26 pm
The formal topic was complete unreadable because I had used TinyPic, what was for free in that time. But all of a sudden they wanted money for a account and they putted all the pictures out of the air if you didn't pay.
What is not necessary to pay, because php has a build in mode for images.
Yes you can attach the images here for free!

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:30 pm

With this toy train everything started. I had bought it for decoration purpose. This what is called starter set for a little money on the internet.
A jubilee 1881-1981LGB Lehman set in perfect condition. There are sold many, many of this kind of sets because they are made for years, so they where rather cheap in that time.
But after the Christmas time I considered this set as too boring, and then things went complete out of hands.

Because I decided to change this train in a radio controlled battery one, build out of dusty materials what I had for decades in stock. The lees.
RC trains of good quality are hardly on the marked. And what you find is a wast of money because it's poor quality China clones.
But German industrial stuff of the 80's and 90's is unbeatable, so here we go!

(To be continued.)
Attachments
DSC09549.JPG
DSC09549.JPG (212.72 KiB) Viewed 6350 times

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Well, let me continue. It's cold outside, it is raining, there is a special for older people frightening virus outside, I stay in my warm and comfortable home building my project.
But what is that project?
Building a toy train scenery existing out of dismountable tables of 150X250 cm, 82X164 inch in a old Austrian-German style.

But what is that project?

Building a system existing out of dismountable tables of 150X250 cm, 82X164 inch in a old Austrian-German style.
With mountains, scenery, radio controlled trans I am now building and have almost finished and plastic rails.
So, I don't want to have, or very little, wiring in the scenery because I have found out that is often where these projects disappoint. Connection problems and unsolvable problems in the nowadays common digital systems.
Special outside with sun, rain, aunts and earwigs and moles as your enemy. But except this natural enemy of outside G scale railroad many technical problems also inside the house remains often.

Why here? Because this is a side run by an what Madam Gender called a vacuum tube guy. So the on this site I'll will find understanding for my non-digital analog mind setting out of the past century. Relais, old IC's and transistors will not be considered as shocking here.
And, also important, because only talking again and again about the same wikishit in tens of thousands or more variation with or without walls of text is getting extreem boring.

So, here you can expect in general only my personal "The Amazing WORLD's Toytrain Hermitage Project" story's.
And it's for me a opertunety to improve my by myself learned steenkolen Engels as we call it in Dutch. English >as it was spoken<* by the guys who were boating on coal barges.

Well, to continuo the story, all of a sudden friends came up with this sweet locomotive, the victim of a gender problem.
Daddy had bought a train set for his daughters, it had driven one time in the garden and it had disappeared to the attic.
And from a guy who trade in this old LGB Lehman stuff I got a third one, a other 1881-1981 incomplete one and boxes with broken old stuff.

So my personal Amazing WORLD's LGB Toytrain Project was born. And just like it was never my intention was to become a famous international wiki star, was it also never my intention to build this project.
Thinks always happens by accident in my life. Unfortaly.

*English as it is spoken revers to a old booklet with the most insane translations Dutch-English.
Attachments
DSC05178.JPG
DSC05178.JPG (38.56 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:02 am

Ok, it is still cold outside, there is still a nasty virus outside, misery enough, let's talk about things we all like.

So, I had that boring little trains and was thinking what to do with it. I thought, I want them as close as possible to a real steam trains, but want to keep the old LGB Leman elements. And I wanted to use as much as possible stuff I had for years in stock under the dust as I wrote before.

And what has a old steam train to do?

*It has to drive autonoom.
*It has it's one fuel with it.
*There is a fire burning in it.
*It smokes
*It has a a sound
*it can whistle

And I found this video of the loc what had been the model for the Lehman Stainz:

As you can hear no heavy steam engine sound, but only a lot of hiss and a high tune wise.
They where simple locomotives. They had been build around 1890 for the Steiermärkische Landesbahnen (StmLB) in Autria and where narrow gauge locs. The top speed was around 25 km a hour, 15 miles.

But it was clear to me my old analogue stuff was too spatially to fit in the loc. So, I decided to use the first car for the electronics and the battery. And to make a connection with the locomotive with a 9 pin DIL plug.

Here you scan see how I build the battery and the rest of the electronics in the first car. And the radiographic part in the roof.
These are old industrial eight channel RC prints with relais and small remote controls and they work perfect!
Made in good old Germany.

They are unfortunately not on the market anymore. I have removed the original relais and use only the RC part, and the rest of the print as a base.
The motorpot I use for the speed controle, and later I will tell you why that works so very well.

On the first picture you see the post lady (gender gab :mrgreen: ), on the second the relais RC 8 channel print situated in the roof, and on the last picture you see in the left compartment the battery, 2 amp, 12 volt. and in the right compartment the home build boards for sound, reverse, speed, etc.

Next time about the locomotive.
Attachments
DSCF7309.JPG
DSCF7309.JPG (31.72 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
DSCF7326.JPG
DSCF7326.JPG (39.06 KiB) Viewed 6296 times
DSCF7307.JPG
DSCF7307.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 6296 times

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 am

Corona is getting worser here, there are occurring serious problems now. So plenty of hobby time, me you don't see outside.

Back to the trains.

This all sounds very easy, but it is not. It was much more complicated than I thought. But as often happens with old analoge technic was the result amazing!

And beste part is, it is extreem relabel technic. I have developed this principe for decoration proposals, most of the systems are 30 years old now, but I have had hardly any fault ever. The are complete bullet proof!

No digitaal bucks, mechanica extreem strong, you can put then in the water and dry them and they work again, easy to repair, perfect!
And keep in mind in time of the Apollo expedition to send people to the moon this technic was hot! It was used in airliners, industry, for militair propose and a sensation after the vacuum tube technic! (sorry eric :mrgreen: )
Till it was replaced by the modern digital technic.

And did it drive? You will see it in the next posting.

The prototype:
Attachments
DSCF4909.JPG
DSCF4909.JPG (41.11 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
DSCF4582.JPG
DSCF4582.JPG (59.7 KiB) Viewed 6276 times
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG (72.4 KiB) Viewed 6276 times

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:58 pm

Let's talk about toy trains guy's.
Why? Because it is something lightening, innocent between all the horrible news. To forget one moment the misery and story's of dead and suffering arround us what is now floating out of the newsrooms.

What is De Graaf doing? Waiting, what he is already doing for times. Waiting, just like the people in the Decameron. Waiting for better times, what sure will come again, I promise you.
Writing about a other world, the world what is coming, because this crisis will be a game changer. (Dutch) Because if this nightmare is over we will wake up in a otherworld, that is crystal clear to me, nothing will be the same.
But today it's Sunday, for many a boring day because they have to stay at home. So a train contribute today, to amuse us a moment.

The trains. Did this crazy angle of knots of wires and old board and Work? Yes! Perfect!
Have a look yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKCMKCEZIc&t=32s

And yes, it was all fixed in the first car! But was it where De Graaf satisfied? No. Why?
Because those sweet old Lehman LGB loc's where so bóóórrriiing and dertien in een dozijn, dime a dozen.
So they had to change, but how?

There had to have a tender! Just like Anton Piek wanted with his Efteling trains! (Dutch)
Anton Piek
insisted the trains the park what he had designed had a tender, because a steam train had to have a tender!
But the original motor tender of LGB was and too expensive and not suitable. So De Graaf bought for little money only three tender caps and made the rest himself.

And here you see the result of the first one, still two to go.
Attachments
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG (46.56 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
Last edited by Graaf Statler on Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:06 pm

The stage of building I now. On the first pick you see the progress.
The first pick, the most right one is the ready tender frame.
On the second image you see the downside, and on the last ruff the base. The shields I have cut out of a old Lehman car in bad condition.
Attachments
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG (46.56 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG (52.05 KiB) Viewed 6230 times
IMG_1850.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG (58.6 KiB) Viewed 6230 times