Wildcat strike at Signpost?

Because no one else is doing it--not even the media.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Wildcat strike at Signpost?

Post by CrowsNest » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:25 am

Officially, they are now on a monthly schedule. See the ugly green bars in the /Newsroom "Next Issue" section, which state 29 days left. I only just realised, they began (or reset?) the numbering of issues when Evad27 took over as EIC. So they've fallen flat on their faces between issues 3 and 4, which is ridiculous. As I alluded to before, but didn't actually check, the old issue has definitely reared its head - Evad last edited 28 February.

They're now talking about funding being used simply to keep the printing press operating, which is another major blockage, via the position of Publication Manager, who would then have zero editorial input.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... publishing

I only just remembered (prompted by one of the comments in the Op-Ed), wasn't Tony1 a major contributor to the editorial team? So his major flouce will have been another factor in their demise. I doubt they'll be honest enough to write about that.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:06 am

The End wrote:I thought there was actually an off-wiki Signpost that Pete Forsyth started or did that die?

If you're referring to the Citation -- which seemed like a WMFy production -- its last issue was in Oct. 2017. It's still pretty.

This comment on the op-ed in the Signpost from BlueTieGuy caught my attention:

Blue Rasberry wrote:Pay ~US$100 per issue to an individual for administering The Signpost. This solves the problem, is cheap, and the money can go to a Wikimedia chapter which needs to be developed. India and Bangladesh would be my first choices because those countries, for whatever reason, have a history of attracting journalists as Wikimedia editors. Also in those economies the money would go further, and the WMF already has plans to spend $1000s to recruit volunteers who will contribute labor that could be purchased outright for $100s.

source

BlueRas also says -- in the current issue -- that steward.esse.s "go through the most strict community review which the Wikimedia community can organize while balancing that need to provide administrative support especially to underdeveloped and underserved Wikimedia projects. (source)". The strictest review the community can muster... hmmm ... congrats to Wikipediocracy's TNT (who seems -- don't get me wrong -- to be a most worthy sty-warden).

Meanwhile, it looks like it wasn't blu but bri who got this last issue out. Kudpung is suggesting she name an (interim) EiC. It's true there are some interesting articles from time to time in the research section (missing from this issue). I wonder if they covered Structural Differentiation in Social Media: Adhocracy, Entropy, and the "1 % Effect" (Springer, 2017). There's a fun reference in that book to Sarah Boxer's 2004 NYT article, "Mudslinging Weasels Into Online History".

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:20 pm

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtop ... 67#p217367

Anroth believes the SignPost is failing because readers don't want to read it, they only write about stuff of interest to the author and "three other people", and because they are generally disliked by the community because of Gamaliel.

It is hard to understate just how EASILY DISPROVED and therefore TOTOALLY MORONIC these so called opinions are. It isn't a surprise he can be this ignorant, because ignorance seems to be a desirable quality among the Wikipediots, and Anroth, as much as he tried to hide it, is undoubtedly a dyed in the wool Wikipediot.

The question is, is there anyone left on Wikipediocracy, do any of the cowardly snowflakes in their membership have what it takes, to correct basic and obvious errors like that? So that the public aren't misled and Wikipedia's faults and failings are adequately explained? I'm willing to bet that no, there is not.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:15 pm

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Tue May 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Maybe Barbara can get out of Mr. Troutman why he was so late with his Christmas wishes.

So... bam! Editor in Chief, justlikethat. Now that is intriguing.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue May 01, 2018 6:27 pm

Classic Wikipedia......
Who's the editor?
I am incredibly confused about who's actually running this at the moment. Who are the important editors, publishers, and regular contributors? Not sure how up-to-date the Newsroom's contributors list is... — pythoncoder (talk | contribs) 17:32, 21 April 2018 (UTC)

The newsroom is a coalition of the willing. I'd say at this point E in C is a distributed, functional role embodied by whoever takes moment to moment challenges. The only fixed role at the moment possibly is Publication Manager, which is me on an interim basis, since I'm the only active one (I think) with the requisite permissions for mass-mailings and who has published at least once. Also I should acknowledge that Barbara has consistently done the past eleven Humour columns, starting with the "reboot" 15 July 2017 issue. As for who are contributors here is the list from Issue 4:

OP-ED: Death knell sounding for The Signpost? By Kudpung
NEWS AND NOTES: Wiki Conference roundup and new appointments By Bluerasberry
TRAFFIC REPORT: Real sports, real women and an imaginary country (Top25 report imported, editors not really active at Newsroom)
SPECIAL REPORT: ACTRIAL wrap-up By Kudpung
ARBITRATION REPORT: Ironing out issues in infoboxes; not sure yet about New Jersey; and an administrator who probably wasn't uncivil to a sockpuppet. By Bri
IN THE MEDIA: The media on Wikipedia's workings: the good and not-so-good By Eddie891 and Bri
FEATURED CONTENT: Animals, Ships, and Songs By Eddie891 and Bri
TECHNOLOGY REPORT: Timeless skin review by Force Radical By FR30799386
HUMOUR: WikiWorld Reruns By Greg Williams edited by Barbara Page

Glad you are contributing to the current issue! ☆ Bri (talk) 18:23, 21 April 2018 (UTC)

Thanks — pythoncoder (talk | contribs) 18:40, 21 April 2018 (UTC)

To answer your original question, Kudpung has assumed the position of Editor in Chief as an interim solution. --Zarasophos (talk) 15:20, 24 April 2018 (UTC)

The article The Signpost ought to be updated. Do we say "interim" there, though? ☆ Bri (talk) 15:11, 26 April 2018 (UTC)

'Acting' would be the correct word for what I am doing. 'Interim' would sound as if I may be holding the post until someone else comes along. I probably won't. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 12:57, 27 April 2018 (UTC)
They couldn't look more farcical if they tried. Makes the Trump cabinet look like seasoned professionals running a well oiled ship.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Tue May 22, 2018 7:31 pm

h/t Sashi

To nobody's great surprise I am sure, Kupdung is wasting no time in using his new platform to bore everyone with his favourite subject, RfA reform......

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =842399694

This fucking guy.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:45 am

Meanwhile, Bri etal. did a pretty interesting media survey including one bit pushed through The Times of Israel and awarded a press-star. I'm sure fans of dem smallbones and his banc de binary efforts will appreciate it with more nuance than I do. I must have missed this story last year, I don't remember it being mentioned.

I find it hard to disagree with smallbones' point #2 about the labor force. Periodical wildcat strikes appear to be rejuvenating. Just look at the Signpost. :D

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:14 am

Hmm, I missed following up on this thread.....
The End wrote:I thought there was actually an off-wiki Signpost that Pete Forsyth started or did that die?

No, he was just an asshole on his personal blog and on the Wikimedia-l mailing list. (Don't forget that he just loved the hell outta Russavia and David Shankbone. Even well after it was clear the Wiki-Mob wanted them gone.)

It was Wil Sinclair (Forsyth absolutely hated him) who ran an "Off Wiki" blog. It was pulled down after Lila quit (was forced out of?) the Executive Directorship.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 pm

There is the "The Wikipedian", a blog by Beutler. Another blog popped up during a blackout, did about two issues, then stopped. Can't remember the name now.....