Category:People with Asperger's syndrome

Good, bad, biased, paid or what-have-you. There's an endless supply.
sashi
Sucks Critic

Category:People with Asperger's syndrome

Post by sashi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:42 pm

There are 90 people listed in this category. §

A quarter of them -- 23 -- are convicted murderers, most of them mass murderers. There is 1 more suspected murderer and another who was falsely accused. Two more are people associated with terrorist attacks in some way (one of whom was 15). There are 9 more people who are primarily notable for being convicted of crimes (often cybercrimes or robbery). In total, then, 35 of the 90 Wikipedia entries associated with Asperger's syndrome are BLP of people having comitted violent crimes or property crimes. (about 40%)

Only one of the murderers listed was female (an 11-year old nameless girl).

I assume it is only a matter of time before Alek Minassian will also be in this category.

Knowing Wikipedia as I am beginning to, I suspect all this tells us nothing more than what we already knew. Men with Asperger's are quite a bit more dangerous than women with the same affliction.

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Re: Category:People with Asperger's syndrome

Post by CrowsNest » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I think you might find the same effect in Category:African Americans........

Systemic bias, mon amie. It has brought us many wonders.

The only person I know with Aspergers is my three year old cousin. Although tbf I often get the sense he is actively trying to, kill me. Not on purpose though. I hope.......

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:13 pm

I think that what it is telling us is that randomly categorising people on the basis of unreliable reports of claimed medical conditions is worse than useless. It also, I think, shows how anonymous bigots with a point to make about alleged links between those conditions and anti-social behaviour can do so by exploiting those parts of articles which are not normally examined for verification in reliable sources.

sashi
Sucks Critic

Post by sashi » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Indeed. There will only necessarily be such an RS "public reporting" when it is used as a defense in criminal proceedings, so, even following the "rules" the category is systematically biased.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:46 pm

CrowsNest wrote:Systemic bias, mon amie. It has brought us many wonders.

Indeedy doo. Wikipedia coverage often ends up looking like tabloid journalism, because that's what they Google up. Building a "reference work" using mostly top Google hits is a really stupid thing to do but it happens anyway.