A pyrrhus victory

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
Graaf Statler
Side Troll

A pyrrhus victory

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:48 pm

We did it!

No proposal here, but as this has been widely discussed here I thought it appropriate to note. We won as the EU Parliament voted NO.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 10:20, 5 July 2018 (UTC)

(Village pump, WPEN)

But, jimmy, if it's treu your "we" won, it is a complete pyrrhic victory. Because the voting was only if the EP accepted the proposal in this form, or there will be a wider debate in European Parliament. In my opine this is only a victory for the European democracy, and not for you!
Because it is absolute possible a few (small) thinks will change, but that hasn't to be in your advance! for you, so it's only a pyrrhic victory.
Because there will be anyway a article13 in the future. How it looks we don't know, but it is a illusion even to think it will not be in the favour of the copyright holders. Basically there will change nothing, how much you are screaming and biting. You are not even a European, and very soon you are not even living in the EU anymore, so mind your one business, please!

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Re: A pyrrhus victory

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:10 pm

And this is of course complete out of line!

Thank you. I had fun. I think this makes it significantly less likely that we will need to take action in September, because the politicians will listen to us in advance, knowing that we can deliver the one thing lobbyists fear the most: voters.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:28, 5 July 2018 (UTC)

Source:Talkpage Jimbo.

Wikipedia, Jimbo doesn't have to influence democratic processes in a other continent! Because this is far from democratic and neutral.
It is OK if they make there point clear, but in a proper way, and without propaganda! Because they have to explane what there problem is, the copyright regulation in country's in Europe where is no fair use and you can get a pay or you get sued letter from a lawyer!
Because that are the FACTS! And that is what they have to tell, the true, and not a bunch of half or complete lies! That is misleading. For Wikipedia there will be a exception, it's about copvio, what can be a crime in Europe! There is it about!

CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Post by CrowsNest » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44712475

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales told the BBC he hoped that the music industry could find a way to compromise before the September debate.

"Don't think about filtering everything everyone uploads to the internet. That's a pipe dream but you are never going to get that," he said.

Instead, he added, they should look to renegotiating deals with platforms such as YouTube to get "fairer remuneration".
Not so long ago these pieces of shit were arguing YouTube should have to pay Wikipedia for linking to its articles.

Now they're telling YouTube what other payments they should be making.

Wikipedia clearly wants to govern the internet.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Yes, but that is not gonna happen, because in Europe almost everyone agrees (Except The PirateParty) copyright infringement are unacceptable. In many European country's copyright infringement are even a crime, if it is on a lage scale. And it is clear the EP can't tolerate a criminal behave, so there will be some regulation to stop this. It will be or Article13, or something simmulair, but there is no change this process of a European copyright stops now.
And in my opinion they want to settle this before England leaves.

Now it is democracy. Not a dissuasion in a Brussels commission, no, now everybody can come up with there arguments. And this is of course not only about the music industry, it's also about editors and everyone who is in the artistic field. WMF should leave this revolutionary political road, because that is something we do not like in Europe. The Europeans will experience it as black male, it will be contra productive. We want arguments, not a revolution, we are no revolutionaries.

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 am

CrowsNest wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44712475

Wikipedia co-founder Jimmy Wales told the BBC he hoped that the music industry could find a way to compromise before the September debate.

"Don't think about filtering everything everyone uploads to the internet. That's a pipe dream but you are never going to get that," he said.

Instead, he added, they should look to renegotiating deals with platforms such as YouTube to get "fairer remuneration".
Not so long ago these pieces of shit were arguing YouTube should have to pay Wikipedia for linking to its articles.

Now they're telling YouTube what other payments they should be making.

Wikipedia clearly wants to govern the internet.

YouTube is a spastic mess concerning copyright, they let 'bots run through the entire system, flagging things on copyright claims that range from correct to spurious, and God help you if that video of a Halloween party you uploaded has Michael Jackson's "Thriller" playing in the background, because the Germans will be blocked from seeing it. Also, it's never made any profit for Google - it has been a brilliant example of how to manage an exabyte (allegedly) of data in a complicated network that becomes more efficient the more popular a video is, so maybe the Singularity™ will come out of cat videos or the existence of YouTube, Twitch streaming, VoIP, etc., is keeping the Internet from transcendence and being a machine consciousness. In any case Wikipedia talking about YouTube is like the meth addict calling the heroin addict "you reprobate scum."
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:01 am

No proposal here, but as this has been widely discussed here I thought it appropriate to note. We won as the EU Parliament voted NO.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 10:20, 5 July 2018 (UTC)
Thank you. I had fun. I think this makes it significantly less likely that we will need to take action in September, because the politicians will listen to us in advance, knowing that we can deliver the one thing lobbyists fear the most: voters.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:28, 5 July 2018 (UTC)

Wales has talked like that before. The cult leader addresses his slave army. I have said before: the SOPA shutdown in 2012 was a fluke, Wiki-Bastards are so fractious and quarrelsome now, getting them to agree to another shutdown to force changes in legislation is VERY unlikely.

Oh, BTW, it wasn't "defeated", it was just voted down in the current "closed shop" form.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/5/17535 ... first-vote
Instead, with today’s vote, there will be “open debate,” said digital rights association EDRi. Changes could be made that will satisfy both sides — giving copyright holders more power without destroying the open principles upon which the internet was founded.

No matter what Jimbo mumbles to his flock, they are NOT major players in this debate. The vote today just opens the debate to a wider audience, including copyright holders and consumers.

Graaf Statler
Side Troll

Post by Graaf Statler » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am

ericbarbour wrote:
Instead, with today’s vote, there will be “open debate,” said digital rights association EDRi. Changes could be made that will satisfy both sides — giving copyright holders more power without destroying the open principles upon which the internet was founded.

No matter what Jimbo mumbles to his flock, they are NOT major players in this debate. The vote today just opens the debate to a wider audience, including copyright holders and consumers.

Absolute not. And If that "Brussel group" is arguing in that debate in the typical Romaine style (A lamppost is made out of iron=>i am absolute right about copyright.=> you will be blocked if you don't agree.) I don't think they will impress many people there. I think they are just to polite there in Brussels to say they are a bunch of idiots, because they don't even have the slyest idea what copyright is! It is a group of free source extremists, close related to De Piratenpartij who have highjacked WPNL. Copy-past Ymnes is a good example of there way of thinking.
And in a wider debate is no place for revolutionary actions and extremism, that will only weaker there position. There is no resist in Europe against this new regulation, the newspapers hardly wrote about the subject, it was not in the news and copyright is a serious matter in Europe. Download one movie on your holiday in Germany, and you have a pay or I sue you letter from a lawyer in Holland in your mailbox! One thousand euro you have to pay for only one movie. See this warning for holidaymakers. (Dutch)

Warning