Wikipedia:Pools

You can talk about anything related to Wikipedia criticism here.
CrowsNest
Sucks Maniac

Wikipedia:Pools

Post by CrowsNest » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:30 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pools

What a sad little window into the hopes and dreams of the Wikipediots.

How long before they declare this activity to be needlessly distracting from their core mission?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Re: Wikipedia:Pools

Post by ericbarbour » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:47 am

CrowsNest wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Pools
What a sad little window into the hopes and dreams of the Wikipediots.
How long before they declare this activity to be needlessly distracting from their core mission?

Are you kidding? There have been fights over the pools before. Look at the talkpage: most activity faded out in 2012 and it has total insane ravings like this. If you wanna see who the true crazed Wiki supporters are, look at this or at the talkpages of the individual pools. (Is it at all surprising that I keep seeing Dr. Blofeld and WereSpielChequers on them?)
I think we should open the quadrillion pool because: It has been estimated that the Earth will have a population of one million million million people by 3000AD. This is said to be the maximum possible population and would require considerable feats of engineering to support it. (Lyall Watson PhD, "Standing Room Only", Eagle and Boys' World, 21 October 1967). By dividing the number of people included in a biographical dictionary of notable living people in a particular country into that country's population (65.64 million ÷ 33,000), I think it possible to estimate that very roughly one in two thousand people are notable. That would lead to a figure of very roughly 500 trillion BLPs by the year 3000AD. So I think we should start Wikipedia:Quadrillion pool, as this might actually be technically possible. James500 (talk) 07:36, 3 April 2018 (UTC)

Look at the "six million articles pool", the current one active. There's Tisane.....oh yeah, they want HIM mentioned, don't they? Fucking idiots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Trillion_pool

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:36 pm

ericbarbour wrote:
I think we should open the quadrillion pool because: It has been estimated that the Earth will have a population of one million million million people by 3000AD. This is said to be the maximum possible population and would require considerable feats of engineering to support it. (Lyall Watson PhD, "Standing Room Only", Eagle and Boys' World, 21 October 1967). [...] James500 (talk) 07:36, 3 April 2018 (UTC)

I think we have to give a lot of credit to someone who sources their argument to a fifty-year old children's comic, more especially because I too read that very issue at the time -- was that the one in which the Dan Dare stories ended when he was promoted to be Controller of Space Fleet?

ericbarbour
Sucks Admin

Post by ericbarbour » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:49 am

AndrewForson wrote:I think we have to give a lot of credit to someone who sources their argument to a fifty-year old children's comic, more especially because I too read that very issue at the time -- was that the one in which the Dan Dare stories ended when he was promoted to be Controller of Space Fleet?

That's Wikipedia: damaged nerds and delusionals first! Get rid of those "normies"!

Strelnikov
Sucks Admin

Post by Strelnikov » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:27 am

From the bottom of the Trillion pool page in the "Never" section:

There would be a page for my elbow if this ever happened. Believe me, there isn't going to be a page for my elbow. - Retterime 01:11, 4 November 2015 (UTC)

The human species will never get to August 12, 4242 without blowing themselves up or something. Besides, if they do, the article will be something stupid like U (pronoun) on wheelz lol on WHEELZEZ on whels on WHeels On whEELs on wheels on wheels on wheels ON WHEELS ON WHEELS on wheelz lol on WHEELZEZ on whels on WHeels On whEELs on wheels on wheels on wheels ON WHEELS ON WHEELS on wheelz lol on WHEELZEZ on whels on WHeels On whEELs on wheels on wheels on wheels ON WHEELS ON WHEELS or something stupid like that. Spelling mistakes intentional. RafChem (talk) 05:39, 21 December 2016 (UTC)

Not happening. It's taken over 17 years to get this far, and considering that the human race has been steadily falling down the evolutionary ladder in every way imaginable, I don't think that humans would live long enough for there to be that many articles. Not to mention that there will most likely never be anywhere near enough material out there in the world for it to be covered in a trillion Wikipedia articles. At least, not before humanity extinguishes themselves and destroys the Earth and every bit of information left on it at that point. But, if I had to guess when that happens, I would say within the next 300 years. Even if it was salvaged by an alien race, they wouldn't be able to begin to comprehend the sheer amount of stupidity caused by us humans. See also: 99.99999999% of people who have and will ever live. Matthieueagan (talk) 00:42, June 24, 2018 (UTC)
Still "Globally Banned" on Wikipedia for the high crime of journalism.

AndrewForson
Sucks Critic

Post by AndrewForson » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:57 am

There's certainly scope for trillions of articles: see 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 for example. Plenty more where that came from ...